Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 52: God Save The Queen

Last time we successfully made it past the gates of Barnicia Castle in our attempt to rescue Catiua. The Dark Knight put up a fight, but in the end most of them ran away. Including Barbas who led the attack on Rhime.

A story tells that the former master of this castle, Duke Clemont, was assassinated as he walked up these stairs leading to the throne room

Catiua, we return to Heim! This decrepit castle crumbles around us.

She finally speaks.

You must heed me!

Catiua runs away.

How many times has Denam ran into a room and yelled "Sister!" at this point?

Catiua stops dead in her tracks. Also check out all those Templars in different shades of blue. In that group there are about four different "classes" of Templar. Good luck telling them apart.

Since we're finally fight the big guy let's take a look at him. He's a Death Templar because I guess Dark wasn't edgy enough.

Remember back in update 49 when we told papa Forehead that we couldn't fight our sister. Well it turns out our reward for saying that is having to fight her. If we had chosen the other option she would have ran away before Denam arrived and not be on the field. That said we aren't actually going to fight her. She too far away and the fight will be long over before we could get to her.

But if we did attack her.

She will pull out one of those teleport crystals...

Sister...? No!

What? Catiua!

To be needed.... As a sister, as a friend, as...family.

Um, Catiua aren't you going to use the crystal.

Oh... :smith:

An ill-favored day, this is. This is what comes of looking down at your own feet and ignoring the horizon.

No.... You did this to her. You did this to all of us!

It was you who killed Catiua! You called her sister, and you murdered her! She was our last hope for lasting peace on these islands. That hope died with her.

Lanselot teleports away.

Sister...

Then the fight ends and the game continues.

However, back in the universe where Denam isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Here is what we're up against. The two Templars on the left have longbows and two in the main group have crossbows. Needless to say their starting height is going to give them the range advantage. The main group also has some clerics, a few terror knights, and a couple of swordmasters of all things.

They care nothing about restoring your throne. They seek a relic left by the Dynast-King. Only one of Dorgalua's blood can help them grasp it... They're using you!

Do not lend him your ear, Catiua! Think on how you've been betrayed. By King Dorgalua, Abuna Prancet, even your brother! That's right. Your dear brother betrayed you. Have you forgotten your pain so soon!

So they serve their own ends. What of it? It is a fact of life and war that men use others... even as I will use them to defeat you. At least here I know I am needed.

The plan is to send our main force up the stair in the upper left corner. While also sending a small group up the stairs that are just off screen to the right to flank the enemy.

Turn 2 starts with more dialog.

Release her? She is with us of her own accord. And who are you to demand anything of the monarch of Valeria?

You brought war with you when you came to these islands! Valeria needs you not at all, and my sister needs you even less.

The main group is at the base of the stairs.

Up above, the enemy crossbowmen start taking pot shots at us.

Canopus is making a beeline for the two archers on the left hand side.

Another turn latter, Hobyrim is ready to the new archer thing. He had enough SP to learn the Bows and Trueflight skill, but no Tremendous Shot.

Time for more chatting.

You brought war with you when you came to these islands! Valeria needs you not at all, and my sister needs you even less.

Oh? It was none other than the Bakram regent who summoned us here. Your very uncle, Brantyn Morne! We are not invaders, but mediators. It is you who insists upon war! If you truly wish order for the islands, then you will follow Lodis!

I have no desire for order born of irons and bonds!

Hmph. You remind me of another. Yes, he said much the same as you! Talk of "freedom." "People have the right to live out their own lives," was it? Very well. You may share his fate!

You speak of Lanselot...

ON the right, the flanking team, is almost in position.

While on the left, Gildas is ready to take on all comers.

In the mean time Arycelle sneaks a quick shot in.

Not that it matters much because the enemy clerics are bringing their A game.

So we just need to hit them some more.

Even then they just keep healing.

For the moment the longbow archers are free to target whoever they please.

Until Canopus gets up there...

And targets the clerics down below. The clerics are way more annoying than the archers. So we'll let them have a field day for all we care. Just as long as we stop the healers.

The other two archers team up.

Then, hit Hobyrim with two consecutive Tremendous Shots.

Followed by some more healing.

:argh:

Let's put a stop to this.

There is a Templar blocking the other team's path. Since he can't move into stabbing range Denam attacks and charms this Templar.

She responds by throwing a rock at him.

Lanselot gets in on the healing love fest. Of course the Death Templar can use divine magic. Makes perfect sense.

Fire! Fire will put a end to all of this cleric nonsense.

And what fire doesn't cure, a good spear will.

But a Templar puts a stop to that by petrifying Buluru.

The charmed Templar Alyne is doing a good job attacking her samefaced allies.

Cressida and Canopus take down two of the Templars.

Way in the backfield, Catiua decides to do something.

Somehow that hits. Even though the attack animation is a good ten feet above him.

Another round from the crossbow twins. This time they go after Denam.

Lanselot jumps into the fray. He attacks Mirdyn, who is behind a pillar. Those pillars have been getting in the way this entire battle. Not gameplay-wise but screenshot-wise.

Okay Mirdyn has broken free. Now it's time to encircle Lanselot and go for the kill. Unfortunately, Denam can't get a hit in on him this turn.

Hobyrim has found himself a good hunting spot.

So did Arycelle.

Doomfunk goes back to using status magic and puts one of the few remaining Templars asleep.

But our charmed friend immediately wakes him up with a good wack to the head. He did sleep through his last turn and will be dead before his next. So it was worth it.

With Lanselot breathing down his neck, we heal up Denam so he doesn't die in one hit.

One of the archers undoes some of that healing.

Then, it's Lanselot's turn but it looks like Denam is going to survive this.

Nope. Did you forget Rending Gale hits twice? For a moment there I did.

It's no time to dwell on what is done. Let's hurry up and end this. First, Arycelle puts down our temporary ally. Sorry.

Lanselot has the next turn so reviving Denam right now would be pointless.

So Cake Attack, well, attacks.

Lanselot, on his next turn, goes after Hobyrim.

Hobyrim returns the favor.

Mirdyn moves into view and two hits later Lanselot is down to single digit HP.

You know what that means.

What!? And leave me here?

Lanselot your internal voice is kind of loud. We can all hear what you're thinking.

(And make ruling them a far more difficult proposition. No, we trust to Catiua... for now.)

Lans out.

Congratulations

The game then prompts us to save. It's like something important is going to happen. Also, ignore the date on the save data. My PSP doesn't understand how time works. Every time I turn it on I get to play the "What month is it now game." Right now it thinks it is February.

*We fade in on Denam entering a side room.*

It's rude and other people would like to enter the room to you know.

Do with you? I'm here to help you, sister.

I am not your sister. I am Versalia, rightful ruler of Valeria.

No, you will always be my sister.

We lived our whole lives together. One day you may be Queen of Valeria, but you will always be a sister to me, blood be damned!

A lie. What brother would abandon his sister as you did?

Alright. This is a big one. It might not seem like much but this choice is huge. Like that time we decide not to commit mass murder huge. That means it is up to all of you. What will Denam say to his sister. Will it be choice 1: " I never abandoned you," or will he take the more pragmatic approach of choice 2: "I did only what I had to do."

:siren:Voting will end Saturday at 7 pm est!:siren:

Helmet 10 Warehouse fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 4, 2015