Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ascantha, as previously established, is sad as hell.

So sad I think I'm going to drown myself in this well.

Well well well, what have we here?

The weapon shop sells Angelo's first bow here. I pick it up.

The Edged Boomerang is weaker than the Reinforced, but it's an alchemy ingredient. Also I just saved 2000 gold with that drop. This is Eight's best sword for a while.

Look I know I have a lot of cash but it's really important that I keep a lot of cash.

Not too much of an increase, but it's an ingredient for a much of an increase later.

Moonwort Bulbs are finally in stores. They're the third herb for alchemy. If only we had some way of putting all three together at once...

Also Rennet powder. For cheeses.

Anyway that's all here I guess these shits will just have to buy some johnson's no more tears baby shampoo

Oh, we're back in Farebury now.

At least Angelo has some... interesting things to say.

Putting two of these together would make a Lesser Panacea. The name implies a greater Panacea. But currently, we have no way to get one.

The reason we're in Farebury is that this woman was complaining about her ring being missing. And we have a Lady's Ring

Alas, it turns out it wasn't until much too late that I had any idea how to turn this ring in. We'll never get that Seed of Wisdom, alack, alay, who cares.

Back to Ascantha.

A period of official mourning that's been lasting for two years. No wonder the people are sad; they want to stop being sad.

The church has a lot of books. If you have enough Magic Beast Hides to make this you can just go gently caress yourself.

Stone Hardhat, 'nother recipe I got long ago. It's still pretty good.

Ascantha has a lot of cows.

Even the children are perpetually frowning. Being sad for so long is wearing on the citizenry. What is the king thinking?

Basic cheese recipe in an amazingly-titled book.

Even the castle guards are sad.

"...Oops! I s'pose someone 'as... So, er... yer s'posed to say a few words or somefin', ain't ya? At a funeral, I mean. Right then, 'ere goes..."

"I mean, restin' place."

Angelo, of course, is thinking about sex.

"I see you haven't eaten any of the lunch I brought you, Your Majesty. I'll be sure to bring you your favorite for supper... ...Please, Your Majesty. Please answer me. I just want to make sure you're all right."

She leaves, downcast. We follow, as we are wont to do.

"He was such a benevolent and wise king when the Queen was still alive. I'm terribly sorry I'm of so little use to him."

"But I need you to keep trying. If the King cannot recover from this, the country will fall apart. ...I just don't know what to suggest."

"I'm afraid that his Majesty has been unavailable to visitors since the period of mourning for the late Queen began... two years ago. He comes down to the royal suite every night, but I doubt that he'll grant you an audience. ...I realise that that must seem strange to you, but if you return after dark, you'll see for yourselves."

This part is a bit time-based. You have to see Emma on the roof during the day, and the next happens only at night.

Thankfully inns let you rest until evening. It's still a full heal.

So the king spends every night crying at his throne, lamenting the death of his queen.

His servants asked me to do this, to watch him cry.

Only in Dragon Quest would they ask me to do this.

Emma's Request

"You see, he's never been quite the same since Queen Sasha died two years ago. If only it were possible to meet with those who've passed away... It would mean the world to the King if he could see his Queen once more."

Eight and Jessica have no idea how this would work. I dunno why I thought of those two specifically.

"I'm sure there was one about a way to make any wish come true... It's no good, though. I just can't remember it. I'm sure she'd be happy to tell me if I went to see her, but I'm so busy with work here at the castle... I'm afraid I must ask you a favour."

I don't point out old ladies apropos of nothing.

"Maybe it's just a fairy tale, but if there's any chance it might be true then I have to try and help the King. I wish I could go and ask her myself, but there's so much to do here at the castle. And I... I can't leave him on his own... I'm really counting your help. My grandmother lives west of Ascantha, in a house next to a bridge."

"A king has responsibilities! He can't mope around forever! It's not that I can't sympathise with him, though I mean, I've lost someone I love, too."
"It's not exactly the same as losing your beloved spouse."

I love these goobers. :allears:

"A queen so fair, the King hasn't been able to forget her in more than two years? Hmm... I'd like a chance to meet this Ascanthan rose, dead or not."

This is a smidge creepy though, you goober.

I suppose we did just accept going backwards instead of looking for a jester. How will Trode take it?

"A faithful retainer like here is a most precious treasure to a king. And you say she's about the same age as my dear Medea? Very well! Now, this is an order! I want you to help this maid with her request!"

But, the jes-

Welp. Looks like we're helping this maid for Reasons.

Jessica presumes Emma's interest isn't just fealty to her king. This court at least has intrigue!

"And yet they're still in mourning. The King must be a passionate man... Either that or he's just soft. I'll bet they were head over heels in love when they got married. And then she died before they had time to get sick of each other. It's the perfect love story.

"My dear departed wife! I don't know how I carried on when I lost you... The thought of our darling Medea was the only thing between me and despair. We must do all we can to alleviate King Pavan's misery Losing a beloved is like losing half of oneself!"

It's tied with... uh... some other spot as the second-least expensive inn in the game, and it's also a save point.

By the way, DQ8 is really pretty. Just figured I should throw in a pretty night sky.

"I'm getting on a bit now, you see. So I know all the old Ascantha folktales. Let's see... An old story about making wishes come true... That must be the story of that strange hill upstream of here. It's said that if you go there on the night of a full moon and wait quietly all night, a door to another world will open. It's probably just a silly old fairy tale though. I'm afraid I can't tell you whether it's true or not. It gets so cold and spooky up there, you see. I've never known anyone willing to stay the whole night to find out! Ha ha ha!"

Night sneakers may or many not do something as they get killed pretty easily. This seems like a garbage place to live, due to the mummies.

Angelo with an angelbow.

It's okay I guess. We don't have real tricks with real bows.

Oh Yangus, goober-in-chief. :allears:

"There was a beautiful full moon that night Dhoulmagus attacked Abbot Francisco... Hopefully nothing like that will happen this time. All this death and killing is getting rather tedious."

There's the path down. I hear Metal Slimes show up in the night. I hear sometimes people even slay them.

By the time we're there, it's dawn.

Kissers have sweet breath too.

It's a pain, obviously.

Gold-holding chests in Dragon Quest games are always so pitiful. Weapons cost over 1000 gold each, sheesh!

Khalamari Kids are tiny squids like what Khalamari was. Before he went insane and started breathing fire, I guess.

They aren't close to the threat he was.

In fact they have multiple ways to skip a turn.

Next time: Wisher's Peak. The perfect time for people to get mad at me about my fortune with item drops.