Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Update 43: :words:

Last time we learned that James may in fact have a twin brother. Per James, apparently there have been situations in the past where he has been asked about places he has never been and people he's never known.

Our buddy Ivan gave us the heads up as to were this man, Lysle Rigger, may be hiding out. Subsequently, we headed to Darkmoor, found the stinkiest barn, and...

Now it is time to confront this mysterious doppelganger. It's like we are in the middle of a soap opera! :munch:

"Golly Shucks, Mister!"

"What do you mean? I don't..."

"Stop the idiot act, Lysle. I know you have something to do with the Mockers in Krondor. A few months ago, I was abducted by a band of cutthroats dressed as Nighthawks while I was investigating a rumor in the sewers. At the time I thought they had abducted me because I was close to Arutha, but that wasn't the case at all, was it?"

Wait, does this refer to the nighthawks that Locklear & Co., defeated when we initially met James way back in... chapter 1? Then again, we've almost literally walked around the entire kingdom so it probably has been a few months. Anyway...

"That must mean things have gotten even worse than the Upright Man imagined. When he sent word for me in Kesh..."

"Excuse me... did you say Kesh, as in the Great Empire Of?"

"If there is something in the offing that threatens the Prince..."

"A whole band of thieves trained as magicians? I don't like the sound of it at all."

Neither do I. Magicians are the hardest enemies to deal with in the game, especially when there are more then one of them to fight at a time.

"Neither do I, though for much different reasons.I'm still working on finding out who's training them. Last trail I followed, I heard word taht someone in Lyton wished to buy glory hands---magic artifacts I had heard something about. I found this skeletal hand near Sethanon and I sold it to a fellow in Lyton named Glover. I figured if they were magicians, they'd spot the substitution and perhaps I would have a lead..."

And this here is a strong hint for us to explore area between Lyton and Sethanon and look into the glory hand business. It also has implications as to us eventually being able to enter into Romney.

"But they bought it from you and killed your lead. How did you find the skeletal hand?"

"Gross. ... And so you found it and sold it to Glover in Lyton."

"Just so, but my troubles didn't end there. There were a few men in Lyton who recognized me, apparently men working for the Crawler. Seems that he's issued a death token on my head after I was spotted in Silden. So, since then, I've been lying low."

"Understandable... Someday, if we should meet again, I would like to talk to you some more. Find out more about where you came from."

"You mean, find out if we're brothers. It's not likely. I was born in Tulan and only came to Krondor about three years ago when the Upright Man sent for me. I was never sure why he sent for me, but apparently he had heard of me. But, he is odd that way. I doubt I'll ever understand the way his mind works."

"That makes two of us. Thank you for this talk at least, Lysle. You've been quite a help to us and it's been interesting seeing how others see me. I hope we can meet again."

And... that's it? "Yes, we look exactly alike but we certainly can't be brothers, let's not bother figuring it out."

If I recall my lore correctly, Lysle's dialogue has certain implications about both James and his origin and connection to the Upright Man, who is basically the Chief Thief / Godfather of the Mockers in Krondor, but I don't think this is really ever fully fleshed out in-game.

What's next?

We might as well finish out our roundtrip and get back to Krondor.

Fortunately, the screen transitions to where you are basically 15 steps away from the city. Hi Krondor! Let's just stroll back inside the palace. I think I left some crap there in Locklear's room.

:stare: "Well... don't you think.. that it would be... stupid?

"Okay fine. But I think you are just desensitized to the sewers."

Of course, we hardly get 3 steps into the sewers under the city when we are accosted by our lovable wannabe Jimmy the Hand., Limm!

"And what's to keep me from bringing the Krondorian Lancer Corps down here and crashing your gate?

"Some thing as kept every Princes Krondor from doing that very thing. We'd know a week and a day before and have time for a nap in between. While they was trompoing about down here, we'd be looting their houses and their barracks and be all the richer for the expedition."

"Why is that?"

"I'm sure I don't know. I just do as the Nightmaster says. He also said we were to answer any questions you might have."

Of course, turns out we do have some questions.

"That at least is a relief. Least ways we know where they're coming from for sure now. Did he tell you anything else?

"He said something about a reward?"

"I'll give you the seal he asked for, course if you ask me, it's a piddling price for it. Me, myself, I don't think I would've asked for anything less than a shiner, and a good quality one at that."

"Have you taken anything off the men who are posing as Mockers?"

"They're not much for carrying treasure, but yeah, I've found a few nice bits. Tumbled a corpse i found near the sea gate this morning."

"If the price is right, I might be interested in buying the booty from you."

"That so? Well then, my price is a hundred gold."

"A hundred gold? You said they don't carry anything of any value."

Man, talk about supply and demand. Guess we'll say yes since apparently we can't haggle him down at all.

"It's robbery, but we'll take it."

"Good then. I'll ge my satchel for you."

"Your territory is quite safe with us, be assured. Tell the Upright Man that James says hello."

Alright, let's see what the little brat gave us.

Wait.. what's that?

A Glazer's Guild Seal! :yayclod: Now we can tell Michael Waylander to gently caress off and get into Romney!

It only took us having to walk all the way around the Kingdom and back to the starting point to get it... :suicide:

:sigh: Anyway. There is also a dirty note.

Appears this Crawler fellow really wants to find the actual Amulet of the Upright Man and whatever this Idol of Lassur is. The line about "pressing business" makes me somewhat suspicious that Owyn actually wrote it though....

"I still do have pressing business in Tiburn though."

Let's reengage Limm in conversation as ask about it.

"What do you know about an object called the Idol of Lassur?"

"Some sort of kid story, it'n it?About a whizit or other what gives you power over the Goddess of Death, or some such silliness."

"Why would anyone be looking for it in Krondor?"

And we leave it at that for now.

Our party takes leave of Limm and we head back upstairs into the palace where we have yet another conversation.

"We've been traveling for like... three months."

"I can certainly try. What is it?

"Just tell him that we haven't reached the Black Sheep Tavern in Romney as yet, but I will send word to him as soon as I can."

"I don't think that will be too much of a problem. I will see he gets it as soon as he returns."

"Or, you could tell him yourself because for some reason you are in Krondor instead of Romney like you are supposed to be..."

Next time: What say we finish Chapter 2?