Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

"Er... Of course, it's the Princess I'm really concerned for. We must rescue her without a moment's delay."

So we're right close to Red's place, just a bit more to the south.

...This... clearly must be the place! Maybe British people just have a really weird definition of "lake" that includes the poison swamps around.

Wow that is an incredible chest. Destiny demands I open it.

"But I ain't doin' the off wivout it this time! We're gonna get that Venus' Tear!"

Goodybags are relatively simple foes to beat up and give a fairly hefty 106 gold. They're also very frequent down here. They drop Prayer Rings at a 1/256 rate, and the prospect of actually having one this early is kind of terrifying. We'll eventually become all too familiar with 'em, don't worry.

Their only dangerous move is the Sultry Dance, if only for action economy reasons.

Thanks stone plaque. The Swordsman's Labyrinth, named so because of the statue of a swordsman outside I'd wager, is trickier than the previous dungeons.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's nothing but the prospect of brutal murder keeping you from coming here as soon as you get off the boat at Peregrin Quay. I've never tried because brutal murder is a pretty good deterrent to sequence breaking, especially when you don't really get anything for doing it that soon.

Restless Armours (Dear Brits why do you have so many extra vouwels) are mostly just beatsticks.

Lost Souls don't do much of anything until they hit low HP. Then they blow up. They've got the same damage mitigation as Firespirits, .4 to everything.

Mummies don't throw curs'd orbs like the boys did, and instead they gain a chance to sleep on their regular attack. Probably the most dangerous thing here if only for how big a pain sleep can be.

Phantom Fencers are another beatstick, though these ones beat you with electricity sometimes. Despite being a lightning slash, it's not Zap, it's Bang. Considering no one in the party resists Bang, it's basically an attack that hits 30% harder.

Jessica hits level 16 and picks up an upgrade to Crack. Crackle hits a group, and it hits far harder. All for 5 MP!

"...Come on! You can't trick a trickster! I know what you're up to. You just saw the cave and wanted to take a look inside, didn't you? You're as fickle as the weather, my friend!"

WOAH gently caress

Say hello to desperate attacks. They are the worst things that can happen to you, because you cannot mitigate them except by hoping for a lucky dodge.

REVENGE! This is 1/512 with Steal Sickle, and it's a fair upgrade over Eight's old Bronze Mail.

Lost Souls aren't actually that dangerous.

They even politely off themselves afterwards.

A suspicious hole in the ground, in front of a door. Hmm.

Let's try the other door.

Wait, that's stairs, and stairs mean progress.

Better see what's up with that door!

Being dropped down here nets us the map, which is important.

The other main trick Restless Armours have is summoning another monster. In this case...

A healsime, what casts Heal.

Nope!

The Swordsman's Labyrinth is tough, man. It's much better poised than other dungeons to just wear you out of resources.

It's a zoom location though, so don't feel bad about leaving and trying again.

Frankly the reason it's tough is because of groups like this. Six enemies whose perogatives are more or less "hit you until death".

Not bad experience at all, though. I wouldn't blame you for grinding a little here. There's a lot of important skill thresholds you can hit at level 18.

Of course I'm going to mash urns

There are important goodies in some after all. The chest contained another mini medal, so it's a twofer!

If I had MP management problems, this would be a godsend. But my MP management problems are that I don't spend enough! Har har!

Fuckers

Groups are arbitrary as hell sometimes. That last mummy is just all like "I'm here too guys!"

If I didn't make the White Shield, this would be a nice buddy for Angelo. Besides, it's adorable. What else is there to say?

I try to steal an Iron Nail from it, but instead only grab a pot lid.

At level 18, Eight has enough skill points to get Super Throw, so we're officially done with boomerangs. Until it also hits 52, we're dumping points into Swords.

Angelo learns the basic instant death spell at level 17. It's actually handy, and fun!

He also has enough skill points to get the second bow ability, and this one's a hell of a lot more useful than Sandman's Arrow. Cherub's Arrow deals regular damage but recovers Angelo's MP equal to 1/16th of the damage, rounded up. About now that's... 1 MP. But Heal costs 2. It's more about sustainability rather than 0 to full. Eventually we'll start restoring 2, then 3 MP! That's when we start to go hog wild.

Movable statues aligned with a grid.

You can press R2 to enter first-person view. It's not very useful, until the designers remembers you can press R2 to enter first-person view.

And it seems there is a hole in the ceiling, the ceiling that corresponds to the grid on the floor.

So we heaaave the statues so they are both looking at the tile, then...

Woah!

It launches us back to the first floor!

The plaque on the right happens to have a full restoration. I imagine people who had trouble with the boss coming up and are just now discovering this are miffed.

How did these people end up on the spikes? There aren't traps around here. Did they jump?

Or maybe it's the random encounters trying to sap my now-full health right before the boss?

Oh well, might as open the fanciest treasure chest and

Trap Box

code:
TRAP BOX        #264            LV:23 MATERIAL
--------------------------------------------------
HP:1100         ATK:92          COMMON: 256/256
MP:INF          DEF:60          VENUS TEAR
EXP:1020        AGL:50          RARE:   0/256
GOLD:660        EVD:0/64  	
--------------------------------------------------
RESISTANCES:
BANG/CRACK/ZAP/POISON
IMMUNITIES:
DEATH/PARALYSIS/SHOCK/SLEEP/CONFUSION/DAZZLE
/FIZZLE/BAN DANCE/SAP/DRAIN MAGIC
---------------------------------------------------
SPELLS & ABILITIES:
CRACKLE
SNOOZE
FUDDLE
DESPERATE ATTACK
You know, the best part of making a LP is finding things out in post-production, such as all those Helm Splitters being a waste of time.

The Trap Box is a fair challenge. Assuming you did enough level-grinding that the fight doesn't become a crapshoot based on if he instagibs Angelo or Jessica with a desperate attack.

Of course, he's probably entitled to a crit or two.

Magic Barrier helps a lot on this fight. It and Acceleratle are helpful in a lot of boss fights.

For example, the Trap Box hitting us with Crackle.

If all the undead and materials in this dungeon weren't so resistant to Crack, I'd be the one showing it off.

Magic Barrier really cuts the damage down, especially for Angelo and his innate Crack resistance.

Snooze would only be a worry if it hit Angelo, as he can just Tingle the whole party awake.

Magic Barrier doesn't just affect damage spells. It also hits ailment spells, too. Snooze and Fuddle are basically free turns for us the problem is the

SWEET TAP DANCING CHRIST levels of damage from the desperate attacks.

But enough of his moves are nonissues that we can wear down that 1,100 HP relatively easy.

And there's the gem we were after!

Wait.

I feel like I'm forgetting something important.