Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Take 2 of Rank G, with the new and improved Memento Morrie.

They effortlessly clear the first round.

And the second, too.

But even if they could clear the first two ranks with no danger, might the 3rd be too much??

"This is the moment you've all been waiting for! This is the final round! The winner of this epic battle will walk away as Rank G Monster Arena champion!"

It's a bullfinch and two fellers with clubs.

Wait no these guys still aren't very tough.

Body Slam hurts, like, a lot, but this is the only thing it gets to do.

The Goreilla just manages to waste my time.

And creepy treasure chest bites settle the contest.

We'll need more than a few Mighty Armlets, once it's all said and done, so any strength rings are appreciated.

And we get a round of applause.

"Magnifico, ragazzo! I never doubt it! I could see you have the potential! You bring the breath of fresh air to my monstrous pit!"

"I have it! Up till now you could only get the three monsters at a time, ay?"

So now I can collect novelty goobers! Or just keep some guys on hand for a secret technique!

"You can mix and match your six monsters to make the new team of three. Think the tactics! Think the strategy! I wish you the buona fortuna for your next fight, ay, ragazzo!"

Monster collecting can get pretty dangerous, as the guys you want are the guys most capable of killing you

Well that was a fun chat but Memento Morrie steamrolled G so maybe they can clear F with ease too.

There is a third dragon to get, but while the other two are available as soon as you get to the arena, the third only shows up after beating the game.

Triple dragons would give each member 30 extra attack, too. It's a crime.

Oh, uh, I guess we have an opponent.

It goes about as well for them as you'd expect.

The king kelp however knows axoraptor jokes.

Haha! Where do they make these axes anyway?

It also knows Midheal.

Oh no! Hackzilla's started laughing up fire!!

Round two! There's a Jargon in the center of both teams. This won't get confusing.

Potbelly does as Potbelly is want to do.

Potbelly's worst action is attempting to use sand to Dazzle the enemy's accuracy away. The enemy Jargon here can just outright waste turns.

It then gets chomped by a treasure chest.

Unlike the last two, The Red Barons can actually be dangerous.

It's mostly the redtail hipster.

When fighting redtail hipsters, you pray they never spin.

Dancing devil never got to do much.

Wailin' weed fell pretty quick too. The redtail hipster has damage output, but he can't handle two dragons and a treasure chest pummeling him.

And rank F falls easily.

At 38 defense, it is a massive, massive improvement over Jessica's Dancer's Costume. However, though we have the ears and the suit, we're missing the stockings to make it a proper costume.

"Keep it up, and you will go far in my monstrous pit! Maybe you surprise even yourself! You earn another reward. Si, what can I give you...? I have it!"

"So I give you this. You and only you will be able to do the battle against your own team! It's like the training. And you don't even need to pay no money to fight your own team. This is my gift to you. I know, I know. I am too kind! I wish you the buona fortuna for your next fight, ay, ragazzo!"

Clearing rank F adds some more monsters to the world. There's one near Peregrin Quay I want.

It's no this guy but I'll wallop him anyway.

If it's easy to beat up a monster, chances are it's not going to help you very much in the gladiatorial pits.

McHammer here is a Brownie and will act like one. Psyche up then strike. It's a complete crapshoot in the arena if psyching up will even work, and McHammer does not deliver big enough beats nor is tougher than steel.

Past the ruins what had a feathered cap, are even more ruins.

And among them, a golem.

Bricklayer also uses tension.

Bricklayer is open to Snooze.

Brickman is okay by himself. His stat growths are really high and kick in at level 26, but he's not really got tricks. Well, by himself anyway. Somewhere out there in the wild blue yonder are two other golems, and only with his kin can Brickman really shine.

That's a story for another day.

Back to the bridge between Farebury and Alexandria.

The monsters here are complete wimps and rather than bother to kill them, I just yell at them.

While these archers were one group and would roll one drop if killed, each one of the four rolls item drops independently. This is really useful if you're trying to get a wing of bat or something, as it both prevents you from grinding until you're comically overleveled and gives you more shots per encounter of loot.

But our goal here is this metal slime. He moves really, really, really fast. We have to get close and hope that when he turns around he rams into Eight by accident.

How fitting of a name.

Needle Shot worked on Metal Slimes in DQ9, and I seem to recall a quest hinging on it. I'm trying it here not because of a belief it works in 8, but because Angelo doesn't have much else to do.

It fails about as I expected.

So it's up to Yangus.

Ugh no come on man.

C'mon Yangus I believe in you!

Okay that was 1 damage but

Maybe this time?

Okay that probably did it.

Metal slimes in DQ1 gave 135 experience and 5 gold.

And we get a gold coin. It sells for even more than copper or silver. Only 18 monsters drop gold, and they are either extremely novel or extremely deadly.

Metaly's stat growth doesn't kick in until level 63, and it's really only boosts to defense. Putting Metaly in an all-slime team doubles his HP, and considering how hard it is to hurt metal slimes, it makes the guy pretty drat tough. I don't recall his magic being all that hot, though, and with 36 attack it means though the guy isn't going anywhere, he isn't doing much.

Oh well.