Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Since I don't have the things that demand so many mighty armlets, I use them for their other purpose: +15 attack.

And then I sell things for money, including the monster coins. You know what helps the other hardest dungeon in the game? Having a lot of money at stake.

Anyway, here we are at scenic Trodain... er, that is, here we are failing to get in to scenic Trodain, because vines are covering the door.

"I guess I can give it a try. Let's see..."

Jessica uses Frizz for the job. Theoretically it's possible to get here with her having never gained a single experience point, and thus have her only knowing Frizz and Sap.

Regardless, it burns away the vines covering the doors with ease.

"My magic may be powerful, but it's not that powerful!"

Past the gates, the party walks into the courtyard of the cursed castle.

Remembrances

This theme's played before, but this is it's home. It's also great. Give it a listen.

"Oh, my poor castle! It used to be so beautiful, but now it's in ruins. And it's all because of Dhoulmagus's evil curse."

King Trode begins to recall that night, when everything changed.

Cursed night

Princess Medea watched the starry sky.

Like previous flashbacks, this normally has a sepia filter over it. Through the magic of emulation, I've turned it off.

Like the Alexandria Tower flashback, this one hides faces with ridiculous framing.

"Of course, Father. I'll come right away."

However, on their way to their chambers, they happened to stumble on a downed guard!

"W-What's this!? What's going on!?"
"Hello? Is anybody there? There's a man injured here. Somebody please call a doctor!"
"Speak to me! I command you! Tell me what happened here!"

"The sealed chamber!? But surely no one would...!?

The guard inside was also unconcious. What looms at the top of the giant staircase?

This framing is insane, yes.

"Yes, but what if... I can't just stand by and let someone steal it!"
"I know. So I'll go with you."
"Hm? I don't know... Well, if there's no other alternative..."

Inside the sealed chamber...

So uh remember how I said things about the sepia filter being gone?

Turns out Dhoulmagus wasn't so ashen once upon a time. This isn't something you'd normally be able to see, because the difference in his coloration isn't so apparent when it's sepia or sepia.

"...But what's done is done. Tell me, is this sceptre as powerful as people say?"
"You're that jester... You came to my castle so you could steal the sceptre?"
"Well deduced! You save me the bother of explaining myself, Your Majesty! I heard all about it."

"With this, nothing can stop me from becoming the greatest magician of all time!"

So the entire reason Dhoulmagus stole the sceptre in the first place... was because he was bad at is job. Maybe they laughed because of the black lipstick, dude.

"Stop! That sceptre must never leave this castle!"

Dhoulmagus frees the sceptre from its chains, and immediately power blows thorugh the room!

"I see no reason to delay this any further. Time to unleash its true power... King Trode. You will be my first guinea pig."

Dhoulmagus launches a beam of energy!

"Father! Look out!"

Medea leaps in front of the beam!

"The mare I can see, but you look more like a toad than a troll to me!"

"Ha ha ha. If I can take it away from here, I'll see what it can really do!"

Dhoulmagus steps out to the balcony...

"...Oh yes! What incredible magic! Perfect!"

Countless thorny vines lash out in all directions!

They rip through the castle with haste!

But the magic circle seems to repel them, keeping Trode and Medea safe.

Everyone else in the castle, though, wasn't so fortunate.

Dhoulmagus, now corrupted by the sceptre's power, laughs uncontrollably.

And in a flash, he flies away.

Once the dust settles, a single soldier awakens.

One with whom we are very familiar.

"...Hm, who knows? Maybe it was just luck. You've always been a lucky one..."

"Ain't we s'posed to be swottin' up on that ship? Come on, get a move on!"

"But I got this much. You're somefin' really special, guv!"

"We have to take care of him once and for all. We can't let him get away with this any more!"

Hence why we're going to a ruined castle to look at boats to get a boat in the middle of nowhere to be in the middle of water.

Trodain has monsters. Infernal armours are the scariest guys here as they tend to appear in numbers and have one move that will pretty promptly kill you.

Thankfully, they aren't too hardy nor fast.

Cureslimes cast Fullheal, which brings HP to max, no questions asked. Cureslimes are slightly resistant to all elements but Woosh, and resistant to every ailment but Sag, and they're immune to ban dance as they, um, well, don't dance. They mostly just wait for a monster to be missing most of its HP then cast Fullheal.

They have a tiny 30 attack. To give you some scale, that's as less than some Peregrin Quay enemies. So they're at once low priority targets due to their piss-poor damage, and yet they can undo your hard work on an actually dangerous foe. Luckily, their low HP means it's pretty easy to get them with multi-target moves.

"But there is another way into the library from within the castle. We shall have to use that entrance."

Clearly, with no possible way to circumvent some vines, the party goes the long way.

And look at this door! It could take an atomic bomb!

Every person here is in this half-plant state, with their terrified faces stuck forever...

This door is one of a few ways in. This side building has a few goodies to grab, anyway. By the way, unlike most dungeons, Trode is following us and we have access to the Alchemy Pot.

Like I said, Infernal Armors can appear in pretty big groups.

why did you try to touch the plant man

"Ow! Ouch!"

: "I know a prayer isn't going to do much to help these people, but at least it eases my conscience."

"Are we really going to be able to beat someone like that? Even with a ship...? Sorry. Forget it. I won't talk like that again."

Every person in the castle but Eight, Trode, and Medea was subjected to this fate. Trdoe and Medea got off relatively well, only being turned into critters.

Dragonthorns are problem #1 in Trodain. They've got massive amounts of HP and a mean fire breath.

They also have this shocking move. It's somewhat problematic but it doesn't deal damage so it's kind of a breather.

Dragon Slash hits really hard on them, at least.

...Dammit.

Hunter Mechs are plain physical attackers whose moves are physical attack and physical attack. They however have a pretty hefty 106 defense and resist a lot of moves.

Oh nooooooooooooooooo

around 40 Bang-elemental damage, and every Infernal armour in the dungeon can pull it off. This and the Dragonthrons are why Trodain is one of the hardest parts of the game, and the hardest straight-up dungeon crawl.

Being prepared is important. Caduceus is greatly extending our resources and giving the fastest character a powerful healing option even in battles. Normally she's just casting Bang as it hits all enemies as opposed to groups, and is one of the few things Hunter Mechs don't resist.

Wailin' Weeds are one of the less threatening enemies here.

Cursed Song is an all-target curse with horrendous accuracy and Eight's immune anyway, and their attack is far less than the rest of the goobers around.

OH MY GOD

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII