Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
I mentioned at the start of this LP that there was a sumo wrestler in the beginning town and that we would be returning for him. He gives a very important (and unique) item if you defeat him in a sumo match. He is also fairly challenging to beat, which is why it helps to train yourself a bit before facing him.

The sumo wrestler. Note that I am bloated (overfull), as he will not let you challenge him unless you are, saying that you are too scrawny.

Here I screw up. I earlier mentioned that if you are drunk and pray, there is a chance you will pray to a random god instead of the one you picked, often times with dire consequences. I've lost all my equipment late game from making this mistake before. Here, I get lucky and although I pray to a good god (Sophos, which would normally be a disaster on a chaotic character), I am OK as I haven't been praying enough yet for the good gods to hate me. Whew.

Sumo wrestler giving me the rules of the match. I am now hasted, as that is one of the few buffs you can take with you into the fight (haste courtesy of cleptia).

The fight begins. Notice I have lost all my equipment for the duration of the fight.

Loss #1.

Loss #2. Death by groin destruction this time. This is an issue because if I lose one or two more times I will be out of bananas in the shop and won't have enough food to challenge him again.

Fight #3. I've knocked off his arms and know that I am probably going to win.

Another lucky hit knocks him unconscious. Now he's definitely toast.

The victory text.

The spoils: a belt of levitation. Although not shown, it is made out of angel hair, so has a lot of armor (7) and is very light. More importantly, it gives my character permanent levitation as long as I wear it. This not only allows him to walk over world map water, so I don't have to go through the UT to get to Atnam from the starting village anymore, but also protects from traps in the gloomy cave. Many players get through the UT and then die in the gloomy cave to traps. The worst trap in the UT is a bear trap made out of a high-tier material like mithril, which can easily take off limbs that get stuck in it. The best trap in the gloomy cave is a bear trap. The worst trap is a big mine, which will do a tremendous amount of damage to characters without fire resistance (i.e. kill them) and heavily injure resistant characters (or kill them if they don't have enough HP yet). Mines will also break your wands. There is a cascade effect that kills many characters wherein a mine hurts you and breaks your wands, which then explode and deal the final blow. So anyhow the point is mines = bad and levitation protects us from stepping on them.

The entrance to the gloomy cave.

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 17, 2015