Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

We have to return to Trodain at night. If this door isn't unlocked then you have to go around the entire fuckin' dungeon again.

Man that would suck.

I wonder if someone will quote this and be mad at me for revealing this.

If you aren't here at night, the Moonshadow Window won't be open. IIRC time doesn't pass in the library though it does outside the castle. Of course, you can Zoom to an inn.

Anyway let's hand over the harp to the guy.

"I see the outcome of your quest from the brightness in your eyes. You have retrieved the Moonshadow harp. Please show it to me. The mighty instrument that will rouse the memory of the ocean."

The harp floats over to Ishmahri by magic.

...Emulation is loving weird man.

"I did not imagine it would ever find its way into my hands again. Now, let us attend to the task at hand."

We're here! We're just.... suddenly here.

Like to the point it throws off Trode.

"I must thank you for reuniting us ancient ones."

Ishmahri starts playing a mystical tune.

Suddenly: fish.

As he plays a tiny geyser begins at his feet, but...

"...No! Can it really be beyond even the Moonshadow harp? Ah, but wait..."

Suddenly Medea speaks up. Um, neighs up.

Only after season three.

"...Of course. Magic begins with a word. Music begins with a voice."

Medea is staring just so intently at the elf-man.

"Princess, please come to my aid. Sing with me."

Memory of the Ancient Ocean

The geyser of water starts to flood the canyon!

Memories of an Ancient Ocean

The ship is roused from the earth and begins to float!

The party begins to float as well.

You can tell when it's a prerendered cutscene and not in-engine when Angelo's Angebow disappears. And it looks worse because I have the settings so nice.

Ishmahri creates a magic staircase to the ship.

Finally, after so long, we have a boat.

Ishmahri returns to the Moonshadow realm once again.

"Stop your ridiculous blithering! This is all thanks to my precious Medea!"
"Yeah, well, at least we got the boat up and runnin' now, eh guv!? Nice!"

"That's why we went to so much effort to get the ship in the first place."
"Well, if Dhoulmagus has left the eastern continent..."

"It's decided! We sail for the west! Get to it!"

The ship sails to the actual ocean before the ancient ocean descends. It'd suck if we did all that and had to spend another few hours giving it that laaaast nudge, and it falls upside down so we'd spend another few hours righting it.

Trode gives basic sailing controls. Besides landing it's straightforward since we've walked well over 100 miles at this point and sailing works the same way.

"Hang on a minute... Which way round do they go!? I've clean forgot!"

"All we know is that Dhoulmagus headed west, right? But the western continent is huge, so we're going to need more information if we want to track him down."

Restatement of what happened. Jessica tends to do that.

"It's kind of hard to believe, but we're here now and we have our own ship at last. Now we can finally catch up with Dhoulmagus."

"Now we can sail west across this huge ocean. our retainers defeat Dhoulmagus and our curse will be lifted. Try to be strong for jsut a while longer, my brave Princess."

It leaves us here, pointing right at this castle.

Boat encounters! Ocean monsters come in a wide variety. Around here we've already seen a few. But the Eveel is new. It doesn't do anything special besides continuing the proud monster tradition of HP, attack, defense, and agility gradually scaling upwards.

Angebow's fuddle makes the enemy do my work for me when they don't flee.

So, uh, remember how you have to "steer right at it" as Trode said?

Because walls in DQ8 tend to push you perpendicularly when you go straight at then, it's more like rubbing the landmass until it finally gives in.

The boat has this fancy ramp. I don't think you can get encounters on the ramp, but it screen transitions to sailing really drat quick. I'm glad, since it'd add a few seconds each time.

This island is a dreaded elipse zone. There's nothing very exciting outside of the castle anyway. Yet.

Long-rear end pier.

Long-rear end monster-infested pier.

Friendly slimes! What a nice castle. I like it here.

So this castle hasn't seen guests in forever. That's changed: we're going to come here rather frequently. :twisted:

This castle has the first gold bank! You can store gold in increments of 1000, and you don't lose any stored when your party wipes. But I won't be using it because I'm undefeatable, bitch.

We have a goal. I will be going there as slooooowly as possible.

I loving hate your brother oh my god.

This guy is the first place to buy moulds, though we have no easily repatable source of milk.

Yet.

The game warns you to not sell really rare things that are hard to replace. This Templar's Sword is used to make a Holy Silver Rapier... which you can buy before you can get the other ingredient.

This is

highly ironic considering where we are.

Maximillian and Minnie

Click that video link because the king here is voiced hilariously.

"(Oh, my dear Minnie... It is all my fault that you have to endure such a burden.)"

Things such as "cough".

"I'm simply delighted to carry out my royal duties! Don't you fret one little bit! You just make sure you rest and get back into tip-top shape!"

"Oooh, visitors! How exciting!"

Christ, have we. Notably, she switches from first-person pronouns to third-person when she's addressing Eight.

"You have! Oh, how absolutely delightful! At last one will be able to 'do one's bit' for the family! May one suggest that we move downstairs. We can have a lovely little chat down there. Please excuse us, Father."

You can talk to the king again for another little scene, with more voice acting.

"(If only I weren't so frail, I wouldn't have to burden Princess Minnie with such an onerous task. I say! You couldn't help my little Princess by bringing her any medals you find on your travels, could you? We don't see many travellers here any more, so there's no one else to ask...)"

This maid walks in here. I included this shot so you know who's saying

"Please, Your Majesty! You mustn't get yourself so worked up! Try to relax and get some rest."
"(...I-If you could just bring any mini medals you find to the Princess...) Ahem! Ahem! Ahem!"

Fishnet Stockings at 28 medals.
Posh Waistcoat at 36.
Staff of Divine Wrath at 45.
Gold Nugget at 52.
Meteorite Bracer at 60.
Miracle Sword for 68.
Sacred Armor at 75.
Orichalcum at 83.
Metal King Helm at 90.
And secrets from Minnie and Maximillian at 99 and 110, respectively.

Some of those are incredible swag (one of the six pieces of Orichalcum is there) but for the immediate future we're soooo close to the stockings and sailing around will get us enough for the waistcoat.

There's matching recipes for rings that resist the other ailments with other ailment weapons, like the Poison Moth Knife to make a paralysis-resistant ring. The important part is mixing them all together to make a ring that resists all of them, but that will have to wait.

For, you know, when we can even make the correct rings.

No, the fuddle ring isn't made from Eros's Bow. It uses something much much much more rare for no good reason. Nonzero chance this LP will feature no Rings of Clarity.

She's back to first-person. How odd.

"I do hope you'll forgive one's prying, but might you have found any medals on your travels? I'd simply adore exchanging them with you. I've a variety of wonderful items, you know!"

I missed some, I know. These things are hidden all over the loving place. Half the reason I so thoroughly comb every town dungeon is trying to find all these things.

"An expression of our gratitude for your sterling efforts! Isn't it thrilling!?"