Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Today we set out south from Baccarat on our goal before being immediately distracted by a thing.

It's... a cat-shaped house.

With cats all over the premises and a weirdo.

I mean normally I don't judge but somehow I think he has a hairball.

Tom

We've cornered Dhoulmagus and need an artifact to reach him and

naahhhhh let's hang out with crazy cat people.

*Coughs* "Ahem! Excuse me! But Master Felix is a busy man! He hasn't got time to meet any old thing the cat dragged in! I'll have to ask you some questions. If you can prove you're a top cat, I'll let you in just now. Question number one!"

I have actually adopted two stray cats IRL.

"AHEM!"

This dialogue box represents purring.

He's purring.

"Question number two!"

"Then you find a tiger in a trap in the woods! The King is some way off and hasn't noticed the tiger yet."

I... can't say this matches anything I've done, though.

"Ahem!" *Purrs* "And question number three!"

"You manage to overpower the cat, but it looks at you as if it wants to become your friend and travel with you."

I can spot DQ5 references from 50 paces.

"Ahem!" *Purrs* "And now to let the cat out of the bag! Let's see how you did!"

I CAN'T HANDLE ANY MORE PUNS. THIS IS TURNING INTO A CAT-ASTROPHE.

"Ahem! You have purrrr-mission to see Master Felix. You can go in."

So we go inside.

"I say, someone other than Tom for once! The old boy doesn't often let people in, you know! You've caught me at a rather busy time, I'm afraid. I'll be with you in a jiffy.
"..."
"......"

"I think I'll take a breather for a while."

"...Well, well! Tom's really got an eye for people! Only lets decent chaps through, you know! Yes... You might just be able to assist me. There's a little undertaking I need help with. Allow me to explain..."

"Normally I'd go and help the old bean out myself of course, but as you can see, I've got a lot on my plate just at the mo. That's where you come in. I'd like you to go and give the old bean a bit of assistance. If you don't mind, that is..."

I have helped odder people with odder problems before.

"Capital! Right, I'll tell you what you need to do, then."

(I probably did but I didn't screenshot it.

And I don't navigate by them anyway)

Tree only at dawn, whimsical and magical. Sure.

There is a murderous jester in an impenetrable ruin.

"He's a clever old bean. Just give him that and he'll know what to do."

Obviously this is refering to the flag to be able to date Felix at the New Year's Prom near the end of the game. Currently we have the flags set for Yangus, Pavan, and a Slime. The events for Jessica, Morrie, and Trode haven't come up yet and Medea is a horse.

"If you leave here and head up the hill you'll get a view of a couple of the sabre cat statues. It's worth taking a look before you go off exploring!"

"Ah! Golly! I nearly forgot!"

"Give the old speed a bit of boost, what! Tom will explain the rest."

We step out and Tom is there next to him a great sabrecat indeed.

"...Whaaat!? Master Felix asked you a favour!? He must think you're the cat's pyjamas if he gave you the go-ahead to ride on one of his great sabrecats!"

Riding a cat has been one of my dreams since just now when it became feasible for this to be one of my dreams.

"that's it! No pain, no gain!"

"Okay, let me tell you the basics about riding a great sabrecat. When you're riding one of these cats, you can go a lot quicker than youw ould on foot..."

Basically, it doesn't open up any areas not already open. We can still take a ride on a cat to Argonia, since it's already there, but the cat doesn't break down the Arcadia checkpoint gate.

And the great sabrecat only runs on the western continent. The cat cannot swim. The cat cannot fly. I mean it's a sabertooth leopard thing, why would it fly?

"That's it! You're ready to go! Good luck!

The cat is indeed very, very fast, but, maybe it's just me, since the controls have to accomidate a dismount button when they didn't before,

I accidentally lose the cat a lot.

All I wanted to do was check up on my money-making scheme.

"But then 'e seemed to lose interest, an' let me fall back down to the ground. I 'it the deck wiv quite a bang, I can tell ya!"

FInally. I'm wondering if they even can merge in Trodain or if that's exclusive to Baccarat slimes.

They hit hard, but unlike other fusing enemies King Slimes don't have the HP to back it up.

They drop Slime Crowns at an 1/256 rate. That is absrudly low, and the only other place for them is even worse somehow.

You'd need several to 100% the alchemy recipe book.

Don't 100% alchemy.

These wasps are strangely terrifying, must be how the only cartoony part of them is their cartoony pupils.

Sabrecat can open world-map chests.

Sabrecat has some secret tricks for opening them, it seems.

I suppose these Treevils must perform some sort of special attack since everything past a point has one, but these guys never used them and I don't remember them ever Sizzling me or anything, so they must be pretty lame special attacks.

Not that I'm complaining.

So this is the spot we're supposed to go, but... this is late afternoon.

Great. Waiting.

So we wait until dawn and there is a tree... and a blue sabrecat?

"I know it's probably a strange thing to ask, but perhaps you know? Where is it I'm supposed to be going...?"

Okay fine I guess we have to use the item from our invetory.

Okay now we're in the cutscene.

"...Hm? Hmmm!? Th-That powder!? Where did you get that powder!?"

"Of course... Now I finally understand... I thought it was a bit strange. I just kept going round and round and round in circles."

Yes, Baumren is semi-transparent. He's a ghost cat.

"Would you mind opening that bottle and sprinkling the powder around?"

Mr. Fuji!

"Tell him that I... Baumren... owe a lifetime of happiness entirely to him. Farewell, and good health on your journey."

And with that, Baumren ascends to Cat Heaven.

Around the tree is a free Yggdrassil Leaf. To prevent you from just stocking up, you can only pick one up if one is not in your inventory.

But, wait, you ask, what about that leaf that was in the inventory already?

It doesn't check the alchemy pot, and you can cancel out and get the items back.

And thus you can hold two at once. More, if you get two from the tree then open chests.

And we're back to Felix, as the Chateau is a Zoom location.

"It's all too bally easy to lose your way around it, not realizing that your innings is over. But now the old bean's realised what's happened to him and he's safely on his way to the afterlife."

"It's thanks to him that I've got where I am today. And that's precisely why I couldn't leave the job unattended to go and help the old boy meself. ...Hm? What am I doing? Of course! I haven't explained yet, eh!?"

I've never been a member of a trust before!

"The bell is your proof of membership. It'll call a nearby sabrecat if you ring in the right place. Hm? What's the bell called? Well, it doesn't really have a name... I suppose that'll make it a bit of a pig to use, eh?"

"Thanks for your help! Remember now, always keep the sabrecats in your heart, what!"

"So I can't help but worry that this Great Sabrecat Trust thing is just a trick to get money out of us. Hopefully I'm wrong."

Indeed using the bell calls a great sabrecat to ride on. Luckily there's no penalty for dismounting by accident constantly... which I swear I do not do because I am good at video games.

It can also be used in battle to make all great sabrecats flee. Jessica can usually move before them, but they have Mercurial Thrust to hit you anyway.

Anyway, maybe we'll actually get to doing that "get Dhoulmagus" thing that's supposed to be the purpose of our journey.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 9, 2016