Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is an Argonian area wrap-up while I let the first wave of bazaar alchemy cook.

On the lake's shore is a unique slime king.

Yuji Hori is the creator of the Dragon Quest and part of every mainline game's team. He's kind of a big deal for the series.

He's also behind Portopia, and part of the Chrono Trigger dream team.

Dunno why I brought that up. This king slime, which is completely unrelated, is one of The Legends.

It's not that exciting but it's good to get a free one for reasons that will soon be revealed.

"Hold it right there, Yangus! Don't drag innocent people into your sordid world of crime! Bandits are the lowest of the low."
"No they ain't! That's prejudiced, that is! It's dis-criminal-ation! Bein' a bandit's a job just like any other!"
"And I suppose you're a Bandits' Union Member, are you Yangus?"

Yangus has another bit of dialogue here.

"Then I'd jump an' surprise 'em, like! Seein' a load o' trees always takes me back..."

Angelo-only armor that has pretty good defense and +evasion like the cloak used to make it. It's pretty good.

Then I stick that new armor with a bunch of items named "bandit".

How bad could it b

e?

That was fast, I barely stepped into the tunnel!

Dancing flames breathe fire. Or do they breathe themselves...?

Speaking of, Jessica gets Insulatle at level 25. It increases fire and ice resistance for the party.

There's a church just inside the desert. It's the zoom destination for the area.

The item store is normal consumables and... the dream blade for some reason.

It's a perfectly normal mirror, strange peddler in a church!

Fire breath used to be so dangerous, but all our protection is adding up!

This is the one fixed piece of dragon dung I know of. The rest would be drops/steals from dragons like the hacksaurus.

"Since we 'ad a bit of a break from chasin' 'im, I wren't feelin' so much anger an' that towards Dhoulmagus. So I just needed to charge meself up a bit. Y'know, get the ol' blood pumpin' again."

"...perhaps I dare venture to ask the father of the bride what he thinks about his future son-in-law?"
"Hmph! It's none of your business And well you should know it!"
"There's no need to ask King Trode what he thinks. The scowl on his face speaks volumes."
"I dunno. I can't read 'im meself. Grandad always looks sour. Ya never know wot 'e's thinkin'."
"Stop pooh-poohing me, and get a move on! Have you forgotten we're in the middle of a very important voyage!?"

Other fixed dragon scale. The three things that need dragon scales need two each for... some reason.

Well, you can make things with one scale, but they're the scale shield and scale armor from waaaay back in Alexandria. Early-game equipment.

Deserts gotta have wells too.

Well then, what the heck is thiiiiiiiiis?!?

It seems to be the same well as before, but...

We're on the other side of the desert. That was the dragon dung chest up there.

That's all in the desert for now, so I'll just clean up the area.

Another notorious monster is here.

You would not find a lot of these guys without wandering the countryside.

Though, sometimes, I wish I didn't find some of these guys.

Well, this is a very interesting find.

It casts a half-power group-targeting Zap. So it's not really much like Zap the spell, but it has the damage attribute, and not a lot does before 100 points in certain skills. The closest is Zap the spell at 48 points in courage for Eight.

I can see it for the trees, you know.

The bandit mail has an obnoxiously high defense. It can also be upgraded yet again to Yangus's 3rd strongest armor.

I don't have the stuff for it yet, so I use my dragon scales on this.

Berserkers have the annoying as hell power to defend and attack at the same time!

This chest is in the area and is about the only notable non-story thing here. The rest of this update is cutscene as we run right into a grove in the forest.

The Magic Spring

At the mysterious pond is an old man.

"I saw many a beautiful princess back at the castle, but you, my dear, oh, you outshine them all. Indeed... Indeed... It's easy to see why your fellow travellers guard you so closely."
"Wot!? You sayin' you can see the 'orse-princess all proper like!?"

"A horse, you say? How curious! Please excuse me, Princess."

She's all like "um excuse me what is this."

"And what it sees is a princess, not a beast of burden! Curious travellers, might you tell me what has happened here?"

Yangus gets on the exposition action for once!

"I see. So a curse has been placed upon her."

You can always trust old wizards whose eyebrows droop down on the outside. If they slant inwards they're evil.

I was wondering why it was sparkling and colorful. Turns out it isn't industrial waste.

"Its enchanted waters have been known to lift curses. Why don't you try it and see?"

Medea kneels down and drinks from the spring.

Then suddenly she is engulfed in a magical glow!

Our party looks on in shock as she dies from the poison water!

Nah just kidding she's human again.

Wait what!?

"Father! Look! I've returned to normal!"

Trode merely stares blankly.

"What's wrong, Father? Why aren't you saying anything? Am I just dreaming? Or is this some new trickery?"

"Come here and let me look at you!"
"Oh, Father!"

"Oh, no, Father! You mustn't worry! This isn't just about me."

"That's my Medea. Well, it's high time I restored my own visage to its former glory!"

But then...

"Hm? What's wrong!? Medea!"

Looks like she died from the poison water...'s delayed onset.

Nah just kidding she's horse again.

Wait what!?

"Hm... The curse placed upon the Princess must be strong indeed. If the waters don't work, there is but one path left open to you."

Oh yeah, we came in these woods for a reason related to that, I think.

"It is the only way to restore the Princess to her true form. You must persevere, no matter how long and hard the road ahead. And now I pray you'll excuse me. My old bones get chilled so easily..."

The Seer leaves.

But, even though it can't break the curse from good, we can still visit to give Medea a brief reprieve from equestrianism.

It's a medical term used by doctors shut up.

"I'm only human for the briefest of moments after drinking from the spring... But it would make me very happy if you could bring me back here every now and then."

"We can forget all about the curse, even if it's only for a few minutes we share together..."

And like last time, she returns to being a horse.

Okay sheesh.

"Very well. Now that that's decided, we can move on... Wait a moment! This won't do! You're forgetting something important, Eight.

Yeah, that makes sense, since he's an old wizard in the woods. Not too many of those in the same forest. Must be a zoning law thing.

"If I'm not mistaken, he knows something about the magic mirror. We'd better visit his home and ask him about it."

Next, we do that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 24, 2016