Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This house is a short walk from the spring.

"If you've come to see the old man who lives here, he's out! So there's no point in looking for him in the room next door! That's what I'm telling you, and I'm contrary so it must be true!"

So he's counting down to something and this is what.

Sure.

It is interesting that the Seer has a few friendly monsters in the place. Perhaps it's because he can see beyond their physical form and tell they're not bad.

I love finding seeds of skill in general.

Seraph's Arrow doubles the damage-to-MP conversion from 1/16 to 1/8, so if Angelo deals 80 damage he'll recover 10 MP. Otherwise it's the same as before. This allows Angelo to fill up really fast, almost... twice as fast as before?!?!

The tactical implications are a lot greater than that sounds, since between stronger bows and Oomph also being around Angelo can recover huge sums of MP at once, enough to cover a few turns of healing.

"He felt sorry for us and bought us from our old owner-ky! He's our savior-ky!"

I'm just gonna read all these books before I bother chatting just don't mind me.

'Anyone who's spent any amount of time on a ship has heard of the secret cave of the legendary pirate, Captain Crow. Nobody knows the exact location, and the door is said to be sealed tight, preventing anyone from going inside. If it's hidden pirate treasure you're after, you'd do well to find yourself a key that can open any door before setting out to find the cave.'

The magical hat is once again involved, but the other magical item for this is quite a ways away. The magical skirt is basically a magic vestment with some more defense, and is part of a part of Jessica's best armor for magic protection, so I suppose I'll get one at some point.

Anyway, let's talk to the guy.

"What!? But the magic mirror is a royal heirloom! And you say King Clavius gave it to you!? Well, well! Let me examine it then!"

"But... hmm... Yes... Most curious... It's lost all of its magic. Oh, dear! I'm not being very clear, am I? You see, this mirror that you call the magic mirror is really called the sun mirror. But now that all its magic has been lost, you can't very well call it a magic mirror any more..."

"Hm... A way to get the magic back into the mirror...? Yes... "

"If the mirror has lost that magic now... Hm... Perhaps casting the same spell could restore its magical properties. The problem is... I can't remember what the spell was... A spell that casts a blinding light... Hm, what a conundrum..."

Oh, good, he remembered. I was afraid we'd have another leg on this fetch quest.

"Just north of this land you will find a stone arch bridging the straits. A sailor once told me of a giant sea dragon in the waters there. "

"I suppose it's possible a bright light such as that could restore the magic to the mirror."

With that, the Seer sees us off.

"I was starting to think we wouldn't be able to use the magic mirror. And after all the pains we went to getting hold of it!"

Seaview Church is the closest Zoom point to the straits.

And there's the arch. Is it just me or is there a settlement on there?

The sea dragon is a very frequent encounter so you don't have to spend long looking.

You actually have to use the mirror as an item in battle to get it to charge.

The sea dragon is also very very keen on tossing out the spell.

Gigaflash deals a modicum of damage and has an extremely high chance to Dazzle.

Luckily it only takes one casting and the mirror is back in peak form.

The sea dragon would be annoying to fight, since it leaves the party's accuracy in the dumps, if it weren't for a vulnerability to whack. You can also run, that's no problem either.

Angelo hits another level and edges ever closer to Shining Shot.

Anyway, let's go rest this off at an inn. There's nothing

Unusual?

"It was late, and I was thinking about wanting to talk to you, but I must have fallen asleep... Are we dreaming? We must be! Do you think this is another effect of the spring water?"

"Do you think people can change after they get married? I know, Eight, I know. I could also be quite self-centered when I was younger. Perhaps Prince Charmles will grow out of it, too..."

And so we discover our hero has a psychic dream link with a horse.

Anyway, the rest of this update will be a lot of gear-making. A lot. I explore the possibilites afforded by the bazaar and gear up for the Dark Ruins. It won't be an easy task to find Dhoulmagus, and even then he won't go down without a fight. I hope you like shots of the alchemy screen and stores.

My dragon shield finishes cooking. At 30 defense it's nothing amazing, but it reduces fire and ice attacks by an astounding 25 points, 18 more than the steel shield used to make it! There are only 3 shields that beat it in fire/ice reduction, and those are endgame stuff.

So next, that clever chap cap recipe we found in Argonia.

With a few bucks in my pocket, I get a magic shield. It's perfectly usable for now on its own, but I can do things with it.

Next, this sword. Eight needs a new plaything.

And back to Pickham for antoher Hunter's Bow. We stole the Garter from Baccarat so we can make another Eros' Bow and use that for alchemy without touching Angelo's current one.

Gold Golems get theirs for a bit. I need that cash man I wanna show off all this gear man.

The Scholar's Cap has a respectable 33 defense and increases Wisdom by 10. It's good for Angelo or Jessica if they aren't using the Happy Hat.

But this one is going in the pot with a magic vestment.

We read about the Sage's Robe back in the abbot's office. Angelo-only armor with a respectable 55 defense (tied with the Magic Armor), It reduces Bang, Crack, Frizz, and Sizz damage by 25 points, but oddly not Woosh. Oh well, Sizz and Crack are the important ones for the next dungeon.

Next, that magic shield, a strength ring, and some cheese we got on hilltop hut. I hope there's a book that says this somewhere because this is quite an odd collection.

The Dark Ruins's island has three prongs to it. The center is the ruins, while the right has this guy.

The Occult Rider shows Eight up.

He also has a weird special move. We saw something like it back in the arena but it is a normal move for this kind of monster.

It's attributeless damage that lops off 70 HP. Ouch.

The crest is a flat 70 damage, and his stats are decent enough. If Talos somehow can't get you through C on his own somehow Deadnoble is a perfectly decent guy for the task. His stats grow at a decent clip when he finally hits growth levels, too.

He's ok. But he's not B rank material.

Speaking of C-rank, the 3rd thing to do with the saint's ashes is to purify this, a cursed suit of armor. It makes the Platinum Mail, 72-defense armor for Angelo and Eight with the same elemental resistances as Magic Armor. Which kinda makes it just magic armor wtih 17 more defense.

If you aren't using spears and MP management isn't much of a concern to you, then it's always an option since 72 is a lot of defense. It's gonna stick to whoever gets it until pretty much the end of the game.

The shield finishes cooking. 38 defense, -15 fire/ice damage, and it can be used to heal the user for 70-ish HP. If you somehow have strength rings to spare, maybe your long-term plan is light in them, then making a few isn't a bad plan. Jessica can't equip it but she can still Midheal with it.

My mini-medal searches prove fruitful. The staff of divine wrath casts Swoosh when used as an item. I give it to Yangus to give him a multi-target damage option besides Grim Reaper.

While the game has told us about the stupid things w/r/t the golden axe we could do with a gold nugget, there are two other, much better options for this baby. It's gonna bide its time.

The power shield was never meant to be used, however, as it goes straight with the spare Eros' Bow.

Cheiron's Bow is a welcome upgrade to Angelo's attack, at 63 points, and it has a wonderful power when used: It restores 30 HP to all allies.

If you aren't using bows on Angelo, it's still worth making one because holy poo poo free party-wide healing, and anyone can use it even if they can't equip it.

Next, that holy talisman I made back when and that new zombiesbane.

More attack, and a larger damage bonus to zombies. Both of these are very welcome.

Maybe I wouldn't be so stingy with my strength rings if I didn't have to make this now.

95 defense, -30 fire/ice damage. It's Yangus's 3rd best armor in the game by defense. and the best just has a few extra points. Depending on how you feel about your slime crown, this may never leave him. It's amazingly good.

Now, cheeses. With Yggdrasil leaves either from the bazaar or Tree of Styx, we can make as many of these as we need.

This is final level cheese mould.

First, extra-cooling the chilly cheese.

Thank you.

Now, that cold cheese with the dragon dung and that new mould.

I told you this poo poo was handy.

The highest damage cheese in the game, dealing over 200 damage to all enemies. We're coming up on a situation where this will be very very useful.

I make a second one with the other dragon dung, as Munchie can use two cheeses in one battle.

Next, I finally remember I can do this and my devil's tail has no better use.

Yangus-only again, with a crazy-high 87 defense and evasion up. Yangus doesn't have any other evasion-up armor so this will be great for enemies without breath attacks.

And lastly, the old dream blade and his sudden twin brother get a last hurrah.

Sleep resistance rings. Boring but functional.

And lastly I finally, after so long, replace Jessica's bunny outfit with a Magic Vestment.

With that, I think I'm finally ready.

Let's go gang up on a clown.