Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Murder Case: 09/16/2030, 10:12

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

--Watase kept himself from shivering and took in the terrifying spectacle that lay before his very eyes.

D-dear God...!

The bodies at his feet were wearing what appeared to be white lab coats. It wasn't strange for there to be researchers in this facility. What -was- strange was the fact that their bodies were full of countless bullet holes.

(They were... shot?)

Given that they were lying with their heads turned towards the door, it was possible that they'd been trying to escape from the room. The various sized holes in their body, especially the big ones in their stomachs, exposed their innards. The organ that had shaped whom they once were now oozed out of their split heads, leaving a slimy stain on the floor.

(Ghh...!)

He instinctively looked away from the horrible evidence of how the men had died.

But further in the room was one other body... the remains of the rescue worker who Kazami and Jun had called ''Dojima''. His case was even stranger. His limbs were bent in unnatural directions, his fingers broken at their bases as if they'd been tortured. Flesh from the nape of his neck had been torn off, blood oozing out from it, and the bones also appeared to have been twisted and crushed. His face was warped in agony, and his tongue was sticking out of his mouth in a slovenly matter.

(What... what the hell is this...!? What could have happened to cause him to die like this...!?)

It was hard to believe any human could have done this. It looked more like he'd been grabbed and casually crushed by a giant hand. It didn't feel as if any person could have done an act so horrific-- it was more like the work of a monster or something.

A monster, you say?

But the whole thing in general was strange. Why was it that those two had been shot to death while this one had died differently?

What in God's name happened in here...!?

Kazami answered, quietly rising to her feet.

...I don't know. However... It looks like they'd set up a simple makeshift base in this room...

When Watase looked at the room more closely, he noticed there were several objects that appeared to be broken equipment.

What's this...?
A jackhammer... they probably brought it here in order to break down walls and doors.

Watase picked it up and pressed its switch. But it didn't respond at all. It looked like one of the bullets had shot the motor right out. There were two broken ampules lying nearby.

! There's AD...!
Ah...!

One of them had been smashed, like someone had stepped on it. The other one was still in its original form, but the container was cracked, the liquid inside leaking out.

It appears these are the ones they'd been given at the start...

Kazami picked up the cracked AD and said that. Just then, Jun broke her silence.

Do you think... Dojima administered it to those people?
...Yes, maybe. Dojima probably took those two under his protection and tried to come up with an escape plan.
Just like us... But... this doesn't make sense. Why did Dojima have to die...!?

Watase could say nothing as he watched Jun say that and hang her head. --He wasn't sad. It didn't feel real to him-- like it was an event that'd happened in a TV show. Even though it was his very own squadmate who was dead--

(... I'm...!)

to the now amnesiac Watase, the death of his supposed squadmate ''Dojima'' felt the same as the death of a total stranger. And he hated himself for that. Kazami gently wrapped her arms around Jun's shoulders as the latter bit her lips.

...You mustn't let yourself dwell on this.
Judging from the fact that there's no sign of Hiyama's body anywhere, he's probably still alive. We can still save him at the very least...
...Yeah...
Let's go for now... if we remain here much longer... then it'll be difficult even for me.

Watase and Jun nodded and headed for the door with Kazami. --Kazami and Jun gave a small salute before they exited. Their final sendoff to their colleague who'd been killed under mysterious circumstances. All Watase did was just stand by and watch them...

Wha—!?
Three people are dead, and even the jackhammer's broken...!

N-No...! How could I... know... anything...

Kazami frantically pulled Ukita off of him.

Mr. Ukita! Please calm down! Even we're confused about why our coworker was killed!
How could I possibly stay calm in this situa--

But before Ukita could continue his ranting and raving--

a tearful voice echoed around them.

--!?
Y-Yuuri!?
D-don't panic...! People d-died there, right...? If something like that happens again...!

It was the first time Watase had ever seen a look like that on Yuuri's face. It was still strained with fear, but there was a clear, fierce will in her eyes-- Rationality returned to Ukita's eyes as soon as he heard her.

Ah... s-sorry... To think I of all people... would lose my composure like that...
...It's only natural.
By the way, were those researchers perchance acquaintances of yours, Mr. Ukita?
No... to be honest, I don't know them.
Huh?
I-it's not my fault! The odds of ever seeing someone who doesn't work in your area are particularly low in this facility.

There was something about Ukita's explanation that didn't sit right with Watase.

(If he didn't know them, then what was he getting so worked up for?)

But Ena suddenly cut in.

But still... why were they killed...?
M-mmm... perhaps they were trying to steal AD?
No, I doubt that. There was still AD in that room, after all. The bigger question is why the killer had a gun. At least, it is to me...

Honestly, I have completely different questions than the ones these folks are asking, and I'm sure you do as well. And, well, I might as well just tell you - the answers to those questions? Not coming for QUITE some time. We need to pile up a shitton more questions first.

Good point...

Ukita's eyes suddenly widened in shock at that moment.

Everyone, it would be best to be careful... the killer might still be in this facility.
What!?
If those three were killed after the lockdown began-- Then naturally, that means the killer is also trapped in this facility, just like we are...!
!
If someone with a gun is lurking around LABO... then it's not just fire and radiation we have to worry about.
Wh-what the hell are you talking about!? You're not saying that you suspect my students, are you!?
No, that wasn't what I was getting at! There's no way children could do something so heartless, right?

A blue decision, asking us about Ena and Ukita. You decided that you trusted Ukita more than Ena - just by a bit. Of course, that could change later, but for now...

So all I'm saying is that it might be best not to move around carelessly, even if we're here to search.
Huh!? Quit acting like a spoiled brat! That's all the more reason why we have to find my students quickly--

Watase frantically out in just as it looked like another argument was about to start.

Man, we are really blowing it with Ena.

What was that...? Are you two idiots!?
'Idiots'!?
Isn't it clearly way too early to assume that the killer is trapped here with us? Even the killer should be afraid of the radiation and fires, so what reason would they have had to go out of their way to kill a rescue worker?
Mmph... that's certainly true...

Watase found himself shutting up at Ena's logic, with Kazami soon backing her up.

Yes... and what's more, the AD Dojima had was destroyed. If Dojima had been killed after the lockdown started, the killer would have never broken it. Those three were probably killed before the lockdown. I don't know what the culprit's goal was... but if my theory is correct, then they should have had plenty of time after the murder to escape.

Kazami's tone was calm, but her eyes were wavering. She too was grieving, and yet here she was, desperately reprimanding Ukita and Ena.

I'm not buying it. Usually, I don't want to make judgements in these updates, since you're good enough at creating doubt at all the right (and wrong) places all by yourself, but I'm not buying this in the slightest. Even disregarding the fact that we basically know that Dojima was killed after the lockdown - Dojima and Hiyama were both still with The Captain after the lockdown in the prologue - this call is tenuous at best and complete asspulling at worst. ''The killer wouldn't have destroyed the AD if it was after the lockdown''? That's assuming SO many things! I could go on about it, but the core is that given the complete loving chaos that was going on in that room, how in the gently caress can you not even remotely consider that A) the AD was broken in the fight and B) the fight was ABOUT the AD? Of course, with it being broken during the fight, it would be no use to the killer, and he'd just vacate the crime scene and try to find some other source.

I mean, it might be that she doesn't buy her own bullshit either, but she's spewing it to try and calm people down. But of course, once you make that assumption, you start wondering that when it's possible she's lying out of reason A, then why couldn't she be lying out of reasons B, C, or D, all of which will probably be a lot more sinister? In retrospect, these scenes make me doubt a lot of what Kazami is saying. I mean, I know exactly whether she's to be trusted or not, but just judging from what you've all seen, she's hella suspicious in scenes like this.

B-but... I'm just worrying about your safety as a member of this facility...

And Ukita has all the god drat reason in the world to be suspicious. Disregarding that he clearly seems to know *something* that he's not spilling, just from the way he's acting, there could be anything roaming these halls. Everybody just seems to assume ''well, there's us six, and those three kids, and Hiyama, and maybe some survivors, but that's it'' and the thought of ''maybe there's somebody here that might be dangerous'' just completely flies past them.

You people in the thread? You're doing it right. If there is a loving fly mentioned in the game, you'll start suspecting that fly of being the one behind this all. Suspect everything.

Like I was saying, the killer's already escaped. We should go with that--

But before Kazami could say any more, a beep suddenly echoed through the hallway.

CLIFFHANGER!