Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fireman's Carry: 09/16/2030, 11:08

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Watase frantically ran over to Jun and shook her body.

But she didn't respond no matter how much he called out to her. Her eyes were rolled back: she'd clearly lost consciousness. lnstinctively sensing danger, Watase took Jun in his arms and ran back to the passageway.

Gaah... agh... haah...!?

Yuuri and Ena groaned in agony and collapsed on top of each other.

Yuuri! Teach!

Three of them had collapsed one after another. Kazami ran over after having noticed this unexpected turn of events.

What's wrong!?

Her face then went as pale as a sheet.

Oh no—- is this oxygen-deficient air!?

Tips posted:

TIP: Oxygen-deficient air
Category: Nonfiction

Refers to air with a lower oxygen content than normal air. Normal air is roughly 21% oxygen, and humans need at least 18% oxygen air to breathe safely. At 16% and lower, humans start experiencing headaches and tinnitus. At 14% and lower, consciousness becomes hazy. At 10% and lower, loss of consciousness becomes common. When oxygen concentrations drop this low due to fires or poor ventilation, the air becomes threatening poisonous gas. Furthermore, an oxygen-deprived body instinctively tries to breathe, rapidly decreasing the oxygen concentration in the blood. Just five or six minutes in less than 6% oxygen air can be fatal.

What's that!?
A type of lethal gas that renders you unconscious in a few seconds! It's created when the oxygen density in the air severely decreases due to fires! Breathing it in puts you into a state similar to drowning on land, knocks you unconscious-- and at worst, kills you!

Ukita then started shouting in a shrill voice after hearing that.

Oh no! The AC in here's broken, and the ventilation can't keep up with it!
So the outer ring's full of this gas!?

The gas had been sealed in the outer ring so far because the gate had been closed up until this point, but now--

We won't get any further like this!

To make matters worse, their way back was blocked by fire.

If Watase, Kazami, and Ukita were also to lose consciousness, it probably wouldn't be long before they were incinerated by the flames. They'd be fine if they could put out the source of the fire, but they didn't even know where it was.

Kazami scrunched her face in deep thinking for a second-- then she made up her mind and spoke.

We have no choice! We'll have to hold our breaths and run through the gas until we make it to the engine room! If the map is correct, then it's about 30 meters from here! It'll be a bit of an anaerobic exercise, but it won't be a problem!
But what do we do with the people who've fainted!?
I'll carry Ms. Tsubakiyama! You'll take care of Moribe and Ms. Yuuri!

A blue branch, asking us about Kazami and Watase. Watase is at 6, Kazami at 5.

(I'm supposed to run and hold my breath ~while- carrying two people!?)

That worry crossed his mind for a second, but Kazami saw through Watase's concerns and quickly appended her statement.

I know you can do it! Please have faith in yourself!

Well, whatever that decision came down to, it worked.

--Got it! Leave it to me!
That's the Captain I know.

Kazami smiled for a second, then grew stern again and continued.

Mr. Ukita, I apologize for asking this of you, but can you run by yourself?
A... all right, I'll give it a try.
Much obliged!

Kazami propped Ena up on her shoulder at the same time she said this. Watase did the same with Jun, making sure to copy the way Kazami did it.

Tips posted:

TIP: Fireman's carry
Category: Includes fiction

A technique for carrying someone by standing opposite to them, putting your head underneath their armpit, and supporting them up on your shoulders. It is often seen in the armed forces, but it was used especially by firefighters to carry the injured, hence the name. When lifting the other person, the fireman's carry uses the strongest muscle in the body, the quadriceps, thus allowing for speedy evacuation. However, the cases where the fireman's carry can be used are limited by how it places the carried person's head up high, exposing them to smoke and other dangers.

Similar derivative techniques are used in all sorts of martial arts, like the kata-guruma in judo and the back flip in pro wrestling. In Salyu's personal Sannomiya Style Savate, there's the ''Sannomiya Spiral'' that begins with a similar stance to slam the other person down to the ground backwards, striking the crown of their head.

Uh, pay no attention to that last bit. It'll make sense later.

He then held Yuuri with his other hand.

(--So light!)

The two of them combined had to weigh about 100 kg. Yet they felt light to Watase.

All right! Let's go, guys!
Yes!
Y-yeah!

The three nodded at each other, then started racing down the connecting passageway.

Smoke stung their eyes, causing them to tear up.

(Khh... it's far...!)

He'd only traveled 30 meters, but it felt extraordinarily long to him. But the weight of the two lives he bore gave Watase strength.

(I've gotta hang in there! If I faint, then Yuuri and Moribe die too!)

As he kicked off the ground with those thoughts sprinting through him-- Kazami suddenly stopped in front of a room.

(Did we make it!?)

Kazami took a card out of her pocket and inserted it into the slot.

The air in there hadn't been polluted at all. Watase quickly closed the door and took a huge breath.

--Haah!
Haah, haah...!
*wheeze* *wheeze*...

Kazami and Ukita were also struggling to catch their breath.

Ugh...!

But Ukita fell to his knees with a thud.

Mr. Ukita, are you okay!?
I-I have this horrible headache... It seems I inhaled a bit of the gas...!

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

They were safe for the time being-- but... Watase realized they weren't out of the woods just yet.

(The AD won't last much longer...!)

According to his watch, it was currently ''11:10 AM''. Not only were there just six minutes left until their prior dosage wore off, but they didn't have any AD at all.

(We're screwed! Is there anything we can do!?)

The manual had said that there should be spare AD in Area 3. It was very probable that it was in the outer ring. But they couldn't search the area with that gas still filling the hallways.

(Before we can do that, we have to find out what's keeping the sprinkler system off, reactivate it, put out the source of the fire, wait for the ventilation to finish, then look for the AD-- It's useless, that'll take way too long!)

But taking their time was simply not an option.

(No, wait... if I die looking for the AD, then it'll all be for nothing...!)

Even if they went looking for the AD after restarting the sprinkler system, it might not take as much time as expected. Then they wouldn't have to go very long without any AD. Their cumulative exposure probably wouldn't increase all that much.

(Should I prioritize my own safety and look toward precautions... or should I brave the danger to find AD for everyone...!?)

Well, then.

VOTING

OK, this time will be a bit different. The reason I say that is because this round shouldn't be short-term voting, but long-term voting. Since we've got an opportunity to set our Senses for all six of our main group, this is a good time for us to update our general Senses for the different characters for all the blue branches coming up in the future. Also, you probably won't get the right answer anyway.

So this should be about how much you trust the different characters now, and how much you care for them. Has Ena earned your trust now? How about Ukita? Do you still think highly of Jun or Yuuri? It's time to decide.

So, as before, pick between Top, High, Middle, Low or Bottom for Watase, Kazami, Jun, Yuuri, Ena and Ukita.