Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Emergency Evacuation: 09/16/2030, 11:42

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

I keep telling you, it's too dangerous to drink that!
But my thirst is at its limits!
...Honestly... it's getting tough for me too...

What's going on? Did you find some AD?
Ah, Captain. No, we didn't find any AD or survivors, but...
But we found this.

Ukita then showed the rest of the group what he held between his arms. They were six plastic 500 mL bottles that read ''distilled water''. Just enough for everyone.

Water!? You found water!?
Yes, though it appears to be water meant for mixing with medicine.
But I've been telling him not to drink it because there's a possibility that it'll give us radiation exposure from the inside...

However, everyone gulped when they saw the water. Just as Ukita and Yuuri said, their throats were parched like a desert. True, they couldn't be sure it was safe to drink, but--

I-I... It's probably risky, but I want to drink it anyway.
You too?
No, I think she's right, in fact. We found these in a metal medicine cabinet, so the possibility that they've been contaminated by radiation is extremely low. And naturally, there's a 0% chance that there's any atomic dust in them. It's completely separate from the tap water that way.

Now that he mentioned it, Kazami had said earlier that there was a chance that the water in the facility was contaminated by radiation. But that was tap water she'd been talking about-- water that was openly exposed to that radiation. The water in the plastic bottles was, in theory, safe, just as Ukita had said.

Th-then... isn't it okay for us to drink it, Tachibana?
But if there's even the slightest chance that it isn't--
Argh, just quit complaining already!

Ena said that and snatched a plastic bottle out of Ukita's hands.

Ah!

Ena unscrewed the cap and took a giant swig of the water before Kazami even had time to stop her. But a second later--

...*cough*!

She started choking.

*cough*! *cough* *cough*!
T-Teach!?
Was there something bad in there!?
...Ack... n-no. I just drank way too much too quickly, so some of it got stuck in my throat, that's all.

The group all breathed a sigh of relief.

Anyway, why don't the rest of you join in? The taste is to die for... I never knew that water could taste this good.

Ena broke out into an entranced smile. This only caused more and more people to give into their desires.

--I-I'll have some too!
Me too!

With that, Ukita and Yuuri suddenly snapped into action by taking their own plastic bottles and drinking them.

Aah...!

Kazami let out a defeated shout. She'd probably realized that no fear of internal radiation exposure could keep them away from the allure of water.

This is kind of an interesting dilemma, though I'm not sure of the science behind it. I've read that surviving a day without water is totally doable, but the problem with that is that this isn't just ''surviving''. There's been a lot of physical exertion, which burns water, and there's been a lot of fire involved, which means a lot of heat, which means bodies burning more water. And just surviving means that you're not going to be in a good condition, which is required here. So getting water is a lot more important to our crew than it is to a hypothetical person just trying to survive without water. This, I think, clinches it in favor of ''just drink the poo poo''. It should be relatively safe, and let's face it, you're not finding any other kind of water here. Distilled water from a metal cabinet is your best shot if you want to have any sort of water here.

...Sorry, Tachibana, but I'm gonna have some too.
M-me too...!
...I suppose it can't be helped. Well, it does indeed seem safe...

Kazami also caved in. In the end, everyone took a plastic bottle for themselves. They unscrewed the caps with trembling hands and drank away while being careful not to choke on it.

...!

Fresh water was soaking into Watase's parched throat. Even though the water was at room temperature and therefore not cold at all, it was unbelievably tasty.

...Aaah! I feel alive again!
Yeah, it makes me wanna cry tears of joy!!
N-now that we've quenched our thirst... let's get back to talking about the search, shall we?

Kazami said this in a slightly uncomfortable voice. The rest of the group all promptly nodded.

We only found water in the outer ring... but what about the inner ring team?
Zilch. Just some medical ointment.
So in the end, this block was a dud, huh...

Everyone's shoulders slumped at Ena's comment.

...C'mon guys, don't get so down in the dumps. Let's keep on searching.
Then let's go check B2 of this area. We'll use the emergency staircase to get down there.

The group started walking again after finishing that discussion. But when they got to the staircase-- Watase noticed something odd about the wall in front of it.

Hmm...?

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Right below it was a keypad of sorts with ten buttons labeled from 0 to 9.

Hey, hold on a sec, guys.
Huh?
What do you think this is?

The group turned to Watase and gathered around the keypad.

Hmm... what indeed?
I don't know... maybe it's an emergency telephone line or something?

Watase randomly pressed the buttons. But nothing happened. He didn't hear any dialing or anything.

If it's a phone, then it looks like it's broken, doesn't it?
Guess this means every last communication device was wiped out.
We shouldn't dwell on something that doesn't work. Let's go.
Good point.

Watase nodded and was about to walk off--

But Yuuri didn't budge an inch. She stared firmly at the ''EMERGENCY'' plate.

Blue branch about Yuuri, who still sits at 5.

Aah...!

Yuuri turned around in surprise at Watase's voice.

Something about it catch your eye?
No... I'm just a little tired, that's all.
I see...

As Watase pondered over what to do--

What're you guys doing? I'm going on ahead, you know!

Ena said that and entered the stairwell.

...Let's go, Yuuri.
...Okay.

Her voice was frail, but she still obeyed Watase.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

The room was pitch black.

...Hey, why's it so dark in here?
It appears the fluorescent lights are dead. Please watch your step, people.

The group obeyed and slowly descended the staircase. But when he'd made it just halfway...

What's that...?

We hear some creaking.

...Watase felt a tremor at his feet and instinctively came to a halt. And right after that--

Kyah!

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

A yellow branch this time, asking us about Kazami and Ena. Now, I could hold a vote here, but the general gist from the last round was that the rescue squad comrades go at the top and Ena goes at the bottom, so I made a snap decision to just move on with Kazami at 7 and Ena at 3.

--The staircase is starting to lean!?
Everyone, turn back! The staircase is collapsing!
!?
Run! Hurry!

Watase and the others ran up the stairs. And just when they'd all made it to the top-- The staircase tore apart with a thunderous roar.