Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Best Friend

When the body of the girl crossed his line of sight.

A thought suddenly crossed his head, and so he called out to Jun.

...Moribe.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Hmm?
Are you sure you'll be okay in here all by yourself...?
Huh? What do you mean by th...

Jun suddenly gulped before she could finish. It seemed she'd only just now remembered she was alone with a body.

Every time you see a body... you get really down, so...

Jun's face froze over at Watase's comment. But-— she quickly shook her head as if to wipe that away.

...Yeah, you're right. I really am weak, huh? Makes me remember Dojima and Hiyama...
You shouldn't be so down on yourself. Anyone would be that way after seeing something like that...

Jun laughed slightly.

...You sure don't look that way. You look totally fine.
I don't think I'd say that...
But you've seen just as many bodies as we have, yet you don't show any sorrow and just keep leading us on. You really are way stronger than I am, even without memories. ...I'm sorry for looking down on you when this whole thing began. You really are our captain, amnesia or not.

Watase couldn't help but let his true feelings out when he saw Jun look so guilty.

...You've got it all wrong.
Huh?
I just don't feel sad, that's all. Dojima and Hiyama died so cruelly, but it just doesn't feel real to me at all... more like something that happened in a TV show... So I have no right at all to be called 'strong'. Maybe I just don't understand the value of life very well to begin with...

Jun then cut in before Watase could say any more.

But you still tried to save Yuuri, remember?
Huh?
There's no way in hell someone who didn't understand the value of life would be so desperate about trying to save someone. The only reason you're not sad... is just because you lost your memories and forgot about Dojima and Hiyama, right?
But... both you and Tachibana were practically grieving on the spot when you saw this girl, didn't you? Yet I didn't. So maybe I really don't...

When Watase looked over at the girl's body, Jun also glanced at the girl for a second.

Well... I don't think it was as hard on me as it was on the Lieutenant, but I'm sure it's because... ...this girl kinda looks like Nagisa...
...!?

Watase felt extreme surprise when he heard that. ''Nagisa'' was Kazami's little sister who'd passed away almost ten years ago. So for Jun to say that they ''looked alike'' meant that--

M-Moribe... was that Nagisa an acquaintance of yours?
An acquaintance? Not even close. She was my best friend.
...!

Watase gasped. Jun continued with a depressed frown.

...Actually, she was more like a little sister than a best friend. There was a bit of a gap in our ages, y'see. The lieutenant was like my older sister while Nagisa was like my little sister. The three of us felt like family. So Nagisa had a huge influence on both me and the Lieutenant... When I look at this girl, it just reminds me of Nagisa’s face at her funeral all those years ago...
Then I really should stay here, shouldn't I...?
Just because you're a rescue worker doesn't mean you have to always keep your heart hardened for as long as you live, right?

Watase could see a pondering look pass by Jun's face for a moment-- But her eyes soon lit up.

...Captain, thanks for being so considerate of me. But I wouldn't be able to call myself a rescue worker anymore if I accepted your offer. Hurry, go on and help Mr. Ukita. I'll be okay.

Watase was still worried-- but he couldn't deny Jun of her determination. So he made up his mind.

All right... but call for me right away if something happens.
Roger!

And with that typical exchange between them, Watase left the room.