Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Smoking Barrel: 09/16/2030, 13:31 - Part 2

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Alright, let's not gently caress up this time.

Down to zero Watase's Sense of self goes.

Then what do you say we should do?
It's too dangerous to keep this thing around. Let's destroy or throw it away.
But if we destroy it... then none of us will have a way to defend ourselves in the chance that there's a terrorist hiding around down here, right?
And throwing it away is not an option either. Someone else will just pick it up eventually.
Mmm... then... umm...

The gears in Watase's mind rotated at high speed-- and then produced him the best answer.

Then we'll give one of each to three of us for safekeeping.
You're saying we'll split it up?

Everyone's eyes widened at Watase's proposal.

Just call him Solomon Kasasagi.

Watase may have sounded composed on the outside, but he was panicking on the inside.

(This gun just had to show up when everyone was already unstable as it was! It's too dangerous to keep around! I've gotta resolve this whole thing peacefully!)

Watase kept speaking in the gentlest voice he could in order to hide his fears.

That's right. Then in the extremely rare chance that a terrorist or something does show up-- We can agree to put the gun back together to defend ourselves, right?
Hmm... yeah, that's a good point.
And likewise, if a terrorist doesn't show up, then none of us has an advantage over the other. We can all rest easy this way.
But...
Please go with it. I want to get this stupid issue over with as quickly as possible.

Silence reigned over the group for a while. Ena soon let out an exasperated sigh,

...All right. I'll do as you say.

then took the magazine out of the gun. She then awkwardly took the bullets out of the magazine and the gun's chamber. There were 11 of them in total.

...Will this do?
Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem.
But who'll hold on to what?
It doesn't really matter, but... how about this? Old man, you'll get the gun, Teach, you'll have the magazine, and Moribe, you hold on to the bullets.
Wait, what about you?
I'll pass. I'm the one who suggested this, so it's better that I don't take any of it.
I see... then I suppose we can indeed relax.
I'm cool with that too.
I agree... then let's split it up.

Ena then gave Ukita the gun, then the bullets to Jun.

Okay, problem solved now, right?
Yep, we're A-OK now.
Indeed, I feel better this way.
Yes...

The three of them seemed placated for the time being. But Watase was thinking about something completely different.

If the gun had belonged to the ''terrorist'' Jun mentioned, then why was it lying by the lift?

(But who would ever get rid of a loaded gun?)

Then that would mean the owner hadn't ''gotten rid'' of it, but rather ''dropped'' it. Or-- maybe they left it there?

(... Was it in order to give it to us...?)

Watase wondered if this had all been a trap someone set up to drive a rift between the group.