Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Last Choice: 09/16/2030, 15:00

♪ BGM: Engine Room Ambience ♫

Kazami ran over to him as soon as he returned to the engine room.

I took the undamaged parts of multiple suits and combined them to get this.
! I never thought of that...!

Kazami said that with admiration in her voice. Watase nodded, then continued.

...Now we can finally get out of here.
Yes...!

Kazami nodded, then pointed to the pipe near the ceiling.

...According to the blueprint, the pipe further in is apparently the drainage pipe. If you break the intake pipe by mistake, then all of LABO will be flooded. Please be careful.
Got it... I won't make a mistake like that after coming so far. I'll go break the filtering mechanism first. Just hold on a minute.

He then swung down on the control board with all his might. After hitting it several times, the quiet sound of running water finally stopped.

I did it!
Now we can enter the pipe...!

Watase nodded and turned to Kazami.

Okay then... time for the last choice. There's only one protection suit. Who do you think should go: me or you? Mind you, whoever stays here will still be exposed to that WX particle stuff anyway...

Kazami hesitated for a moment before answering.

I think I should go.
Why?
Because going into the pipe is more dangerous than staying here. It's still a 500 m walk through heated water...! And we have no guarantee that the air tank will hold out the whole way... I can't let you face such danger.

Kazami stared right at him. Watase gave a faint smile.

...I thought you'd say that. But you know, it can't be that way.
Huh?
Your leg's hurt, remember? You think you can walk through 500 m of such a cramped pipe with that leg?
No, it's only a scratch... I made it this far carrying Ms. Sannomiya, did I not?
But you were lagging behind a little bit. That lowers your chances of survival.
...!
Whoever goes into the pipe will bear the weight of all the lives remaining in this facility. In that case, we should gamble on slightly higher chances of success, right? So that's why-- I'll be the one to go into the pipe.

Watase said that in a clear voice.

...This is an order. I will not allow any objections.
Captain... ... ...I object.
Whoa now, what're you talking about? This isn't like you.
But...
At first, I was a hopeless weakling who had to keep getting saved by you. I've always wanted you to accept me. So now that we're at the very end, let me show off for once.

Kazami looked at the floor silently--

... All right.

And then finally gave him a resigned nod. Watase felt a wave of confidence wash over him.

All right then, now let's get ready to break a hole in the pipe! Help me put on the protection suit.
Yes!

Watase put the protection suit on. Kazami set the air tank in the face plate. Watase then carried the faceplate and air tank under his right arm while holding the axe with his left hand, then turned to Kazami.

...Okay, I'm all set. I'll call for help as soon as I get out of here. I admit I'm scared about leaving you and the others behind... but please wait for me.

Kazami looked straight into Watase's eyes.

...I'll be waiting for you.

Her eyes were brimming with a tinge of sadness. Watase smiled back at her, then put the faceplate on.

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

This is also a really good track. I recommend listening to it for this segment.

And with that shout, he began climbing the ladder.

He then swung it down onto the pipe with all his might. Sparks flew as he created a small hole in the pipe. The pipe was as solid as a rock, so it was only natural that one strike wasn't enough to open up a hole big enough for someone to fit through.

--UWOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Watase let out a roar and kept striking the pipe over and over again. He put all of his strength into each swing. Filling them with his will to escape from this place. The hole kept on getting bigger and bigger. Steam gushed out of the pipe, and some of the hot water poured out. But it was only a little. He really had stopped the water from running. He then kept on swinging away-- until the axe's blade had finally smashed.

Khh!

But he'd already done enough. He'd opened up a hole big enough for him to climb into.

... All right!

Watase looked down the ladder. Kazami was looking up at him with a worried look on her face.

Tachibana, I've opened up a hole in the pipe! I'm going now! Take care of those kids for me!

Kazami soon answered him.

--Captain! Please be sure to come back, okay?!
...Yeah!

Watase nodded, then climbed into the hole. He was now in the only way out of this facility. The pipe was filled with hot water.

Watase could feel the heat through his protection suit. If he could walk 500 m through this thing, he'd end up at Lake Rokumei.

(... Here I go.)

--Watase steeled himself... Then began his lonely trek through the darkness to save everyone.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 28, 2017