Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

If it wasn't obvious from the hint, we're going to the Tower of Alexandria. But first, I have a notorious monster to pick on.

Finally, Whack hits one. I've been so desperate to do this because Whack has its usual message.

...But they just sort of shrug off being killed.

Buffalo Bill is hilariously weak and I'd have trouble considering him over Lonely Joe, much less any real buff monsters.

We at least have the shortcut. Between that and holy waters this is only a mildly annoying detour.

Welp. There are the jewels.

We have to leave them alone and attempt to leave the room.

So the ghost of the statue speaks to us.

...Not Alistair, the other one.

I was born into the Kranbartle family, a family descended from one of the legendary seven sages.

Magical family lines meeting patrilineal marriage structures is confusing.

The blood of the sages has remained in the Albert family ever since.

I know it's been kind of obvious, but it's being spelled out now. Dhoulmagus - or whatever force was possessing him and now has Jessica - is after the sage's descendants.

Nevertheless, I am an ancestor of the Albert family. So I will do everything I can to help preserve the Albert family line. I want you to take the Kran Spinels from the statue. I have no doubt they will be of use to you.

With those words, the spirit of Alexandra fades and...

Well I guess we can think the Kranbartle family for giving Jessica certain... assets.

Finally, paydirt! I can't wait for paydirt to be at the first location it seems to be.

Establishing shot.

"I didn't know you from Adam, but still I took you in. And THIS is how you repay me!?"

"WHAT!? What did you call him? It's Sir Leopold! Just who do you think you are!?"

The textboxes even recognize it.

"Has this imbecile upset you too, Sir Leopold? Of course he has! Such impertinence! No doubt the vile layabout's put poison in your food as well!"
"P-Please, Master! You must believe me! I would never serve Leopold- Sir Leopold poison!"
"Why should I believe you? If you want to prove your innocence, you'll have to eat some yourself! Now, while I watch!"

You know, I think the game is trying to hint that Dominico is a bad person.

I just sort of get that impression from making his servant eat like a dog.

"Well, Sir Leopold, it seems safe enough. Enjoy your dinner! David! Sir Leopold is as much your master as I am! I shouldn't have to remind you that you treat him with the utmost respect! Understood!?"

"So what are you doing here? If you've come to report back, I'll, er, be waiting in my room."

Hey, David, there's a word for that.

Stockholm syndrome.

"I don't know why, but just looking at David's face makes my blood boil. Of course, I'd never dream of firing him. I have far too much fun being his master! Ha ha ha!

Here's your drat fetch quest object, rear end in a top hat.

"Making an impenetrable barrier will be simplicity itself with these! That wand-waving bimbo won't stand a chance! And I expect you're feeling rather pleased with yourself! Helping the Great Dominico is an honour, is it not!?"

Um... okay?

"Very good! From this moment on, you will be my bodyguards. And now for the first task in your new post!"

The highly obvious sigil becomes a doorway. I knew something was up with it.

"This leads to my secret library. You will find a book for me in there. The book is called 'The Big Book of Barriers'. It contains a recipe for making a very powerful barrier."

What are you talking about? Let's continue to do menial tasks for him.

After we steal his poo poo. It's nothing especially exciting.

'My name is Cletus Diakonos. I was an apprentice under the great magician Kupas. Kupas was more than just a teacher and master of the magical arts. He was also an extremely wise and intelligent man. One day, he said to me, "Some day evil will return to this land. And when it does... the magical abilities of one of my descendants will identify them as the heir of a great sage. This will place them in terrible danger." Fearing for the safety of his kin, Master Kupas came to a momentous decision. With a potent incantation, he would transfer his great powers to my own family line in attempt to hide the truth from the world. Once the fateful ritual had been performed and Master Kupas stood bereft of his magical powers, he turned and left without another world. Desperately, I tried to follow him, but he had vanished wihtout a trace, and I never saw his face again.'

'My name is Cletus Diakonos. After Master Kupas transferred his magical powers to me, I cast a special spell over both of our family lines. No matter how many years went by, the spell would ensure that the fates of our two families would be inextricably linked... and when the time came, our descendants would irresistibly be drawn together. Now I can only hope and pray that the Diakonos family will always watch over and protect the descendants of Master Kupas.'

Oh good this didn't take three dungeons.

Crud, Eight's a dummy. I was hoping he could get Magic Barrier too.

Well now we're on the spot!

"That pesky wand-waving bimbo has turned up again! I must erect the barrier immediately! Did you find 'The Big Book of Barriers'!? Don't disappoint me, now!"

Bye, Big Book of Barriers. I wish we could've learned at least one barrier from you.

Yes, he has a giant boiling cauldron for this.

"What are you worrying about!? I'll have it done in a flash! Can't you tell a great magician when you see one!?"

Dominico is nice enough to provide a full heal, in case the upcoming boss battle has caught you off guard.

I mean, she's standing silhouetted against a stormy sky.

She really needs to work on her one-liners though.

"...Dominico? Ah ha ha ha!"
"W-What's so funny!?"

"I could tell from the start that absurd show-off was not the one! The sceptre is all-knowing! No. I seek the chosen heir of the great sage Kupas, one of the seven who sealed away the Lord of Darkness, Rhapthorne..."

"What a pity that the one who should be protecting you is unaware of his responsibility!"

"Fine! I knew I'd have to fight you somewhere along the way. Still, I have to admit I'll be a little sad to watch you die!"

Evil Jessica

code:
EVIL JESSICA	#271        	LV:40 -
--------------------------------------------------
HP:1970         ATK:180         COMMON: 0/256
MP:INF	        DEF:130         
EXP:7800        AGL:82          RARE:   0/256
GOLD:0        	EVD:4/64  	
ACTS TWICE
--------------------------------------------------
RESISTANCES:
FRIZZ/SIZZ/BANG/CRACK/ICE/SAP
IMMUNITIES:
DEATH/PARALYSIS/SHOCK/SLEEP/CONFUSION/DAZZLE
/FIZZLE/BAN DANCE/DRAIN MAGIC
---------------------------------------------------
SPELLS & ABILITIES:
KAFRIZZLE
KASIZZLE
KACRAKCLE
KASNOOZE
CALL FOR HELP

Our offense is rather standard. Yangus tries to land Helm Splitter's defense decrease then switches to Stainless Steal Sickle, and Eight is using Falcon Slash every turn he isn't needed to heal. Angelo uses Multishot once but I default to him for healing since he's the fastest. At 82 agility Evil Jessica is relatively fast but not fast enough to get in before Angelo, usually.

Evil Jessica casts some pretty rude spells, but unless you've sold every single bit of magic resistance equipment after Dhoulmagus for unknown purposes, you should be able to get through most of it.

She doesn't use two damage spells a round, so her damage output isn't as high as it could've been. Which is nice, we're still down a person, and that person happens to be the one with Magic Barrier.

Evil Jessica isn't nearly as hard to hit with Sap as Dhoulmagus was.

Kacrackle and Kasizzle don't hit too particularly hard, but they do hit all three of the dudes. Kafrizzle is only one person, but it hits really hard. Which is worse? Probably Kafrizzle, it hits slightly above what a single Midheal restores.

Evil Jessica's worst trick is bringing in three Shadows at once. These aren't the same as random encounter Shadows, having a lot less HP and lower physical resistance, but they're still annoying if you let them live.

Thankfully, a single Super Throw from Eight wipes them all out, and it deals a decent chunk to Evil Jessica.

Their main contribution is chip damage. It's not a lot on its own, but it can add up, especially when Evil Jessica is still there throwing out Kacrackles and poo poo. "But wait, how is one attacking when you just killed all of them?" Easy, Evil Jessica called in more. She summons a lot of Shadows. She can have as many as 6 on the battlefield at once, and she will go through so many she'll run out the entire alphabet and reuse earlier letters.

And she still uses damage spells as her other action, so Shadow management is important.

The other big complication is Kasnooze. When you're already down to three people and have to manage so many drat Shadows, nothing sucks worse than losing turns to sleep.

This is what those two Rings of Awakening I made back before the Dark Ruins were for, actually. Eight and Angelo are all but immune. Yangus? He'll take a few naps.

The Shadows still have their cool breath. Eight's Dragon Shield and Yangus's Gigant Armour straight up block it. Angelo takes a bit of damage.

No seriously Evil Jessica tosses a ton of Shadows at you.

This fight isn't as hard as Dhoulmagus, which is fitting since you're missing Jessica for it. It also means if you're here, you can handle it. You got through Dhoulmagus after all. The game gives you a free Cheiron's Bow in Rydon's Tower. You have the tools to get through this, if Kasnooze doesn't get you, anyway.

Man it fuckin' rules that bosses with flunkies always fall before said flunkies, makes for great scenery.

Don't have Super Throw? Shadows are immune to Woosh so Thin Air and Angelo's spells won't help. Just grabbing a Swallowtail from the store and throwing it normally will still do a respectable sum. The Lightning Staff hits 'em pretty hard, as does Eight's Sizzle. They're also open to things like the spear's Clean Sweep and the Scythe's Grim Reaper. No Bang resistance for throwing Rockbomb Shards. You have plenty of means of dealing with the Shadows if you look.

Her EXP is usually higher than what I listed due to the Shadows.

"...You won't... get away with this...! Now... you'll see... the true... power... of this sceptre! Already it... has ended the bloodlines... of four of the sages!"

poo poo that's a big fireball.

"You villainous fiend! Take my life, would you!? Well you'll have to break through my barrier first! Alakazam!"

Dominico unleashes the Final Barrier!

It lives up to the name, soundly negating Jessica's fireball and knocking the sceptre from her hand!

And Jessica falls to the ground, returned to normal.

"Ah ha ha ha hah! Behold, I am a mastermind! Well done! You did a fine job of keeping her at bay until I was ready!"

This choice is really important so

Wait. Dude, no.

"What!? Why on earth not? Explain yourself!"

Aceleratle, evil stick, very sad.

"Well, well! So this girl is a friend of yours? And she's been under some kind of curse ever since you defeated Dhoulmagus? Hmph! Hardly a good excuse! But I don't care anymore. The girl is yours to do with as you please! Consider it a reward for attempting to protect my life."

I wasn't expecting one but now that you mention it you're still kind of a dick.

"He's gone! He must have been scared off by all the disturbance! David! Go and find Sir Leopold at once!"
"Y-Yes, Master!"

Oh well. Next time: four dudes watch a lady sleep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 23, 2016