Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Accident

Now, we've seen what happens if Kazami doesn't like us during Cross-Examination - axe to the loving head. Then, we've seen what happens if Jun doesn't like us during Cross-Examination - engine cutter to the loving head. Next, we're going to see what happens if Ena doesn't like us during Cross-Examination. Of course, we don't need to see what happens when Ukita doesn't like us - because there's no time when he *does* like us.

In order to ruin our Favor with Ena, we actually need to go *way* back. Remember when I said we needed to go back to Order? This is why - we don't get a lot of opportunities, so we need to take those that are there. We're now going to take a tour of interesting new things we find in the process.

One kind of interesting thing is that during Factory, if you have your Senses for Jun, Ena and Kazami the same, Watase can't make up his mind and you get another branch, asking about those three and also Yuuri and Ukita. If you have them all the same again, Kazami just decides that Watase is teaming with her for the team of two, and you lose Favor for all four women on the team. If you pick Ukita, you lose Favor for Kazami and Ena, and Ena just forcibly makes herself Watase's partner, with Kazami backing her up. And if you pick Yuuri, you lose favor for Yuuri and Jun, and Kazami just decides that Watase and Jun are teaming.

Another interesting thing is during The Pursuers, where we actually get a fairly long sequence of Watase grilling Ena over her conversation with Salyu.

What was all that stuff about 'not paying heed to our information yesterday' and 'closing your heart' about...?
Huh? Oh, um, well-- Ms. Sannomiya and the others came to me yesterday and said that 'there's some sort of secret in LABO. We want to look into it, so could you accompany us?'...
What?
I didn't really know what they were up to, and there was no way I could've accompanied them to begin with, so I turned them down. And, well, it looks like Ms. Sannomiya doesn't trust me thanks to that...
Is... that right...?

It was a very vague story that didn't shed much light on things.

What do those kids know that we don't...?
...I don't think it's something worthy of that much suspicion...
But when you think about it, isn't it strange that there's a bunch of high schoolers in a nuclear research facility to begin with? And that they just so happened to be here on the day of such a huge accident? Are you sure you didn't hear more from them about why they wanted to go to LABO?

Just a reminder that you should know exactly why they were here and why they were here on this exact day. You know, just to make sure you're keeping up.

...No. That's really all I heard.

Watase wasn't entirely sure he believed Ena's answer.

Teach... is that true?
It is. Why would I ever lie about that?
But, and bear in mind that this is just the impression I got... When you and Salyu were talking earlier, it was, how do I put this... It wasn't like the kind of conversation you'd expect a student and a teacher to have.
Huh?
Are you guys really student and teacher?
Of course. What would ever make you think otherwise? I'm pretty sure you can tell just from her name alone, but she's only half-Japanese. She's just unaccustomed to using polite Japanese speech, that's all.
But that's not all that bugs me. What does 'leave the rest up to the adults' mean?
I was referring to rescuing Mr. Tenkawa and the others there. I was telling her to wait in a safe place and leave the rescue to us adults.

There was no hesitation in anything Ena said, and it didn't sound like she was lying either. But that didn't mean Watase was without his doubts.

But why was a teacher like you treading so carefully around a student...?
...Because she's a difficult kid to deal with in some ways. Like how she puts up walls in her heart when dealing with others...
...Is that right?

Watase quietly stared at Ena for a while-- But he soon realized that he didn't have time to waste on grilling her. Ena seemed to be thinking the same thing, as she quickly changed the subject.

But while I was indeed treading carefully with her-- I'm sure now that something happened between you and her, probably before you lost your memories.
...Yeah, that's bugging me too.

And then the chapter goes on as normal. With that said, we go all the way to Cross-Examination, which goes normally, with us doing the first two right and the last one wrong, all the way until when Ena would cut in. Instead, we start a new chapter.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Are you just going to let what they said pass as fact?
Teach... you don't trust me either?

Then that meant that Watase had lost the trust of the whole team.

That's... ...But if things keep going this way, I can't trust you. You'll need to show some proof if you want to be trusted. You need to tell everyone what you were doing in that 'six minute blank'.

The six minute blank-- That was indeed the main reason why no one trusted him right now.

B-but...

He couldn't recall the events of those six minutes no matter how hard he tried. Ena then spoke to Watase in a compelling voice.

Please, Captain Kasasagi... I want to trust you. But I can't do that now. I need a reason to help you out.
T-Teach... (Could she be giving me a chance?)

Watase desperately tried to think of something that would support Ena's argument. --But he had nothing. He couldn't find anything that would satisfy his comrades' doubts.

I think we've waited long enough, Ms. Tsubakiyama. We've already offered enough evidence to cast suspicion on Captain Kasasagi. Any more discussion would be fruitless. Right? Don't you agree, Ms. Moribe?
Yeah... I can't trust the Captain anymore either...
Hold on, guys! Let's hear him out for a little while--
No, he's had enough time to make his excuses. Or do you have some concrete reason to want to cover for him?
W-well...
You don't, right? Then just shut up already. If you don't-- then things could get ugly again, like when we found that gun you were hiding.

Jun and Ukita's harsh glares shut Ena right up. Ukita then turned his gaze to Watase and spoke.

Now then... what to do with you?
Why don't we tie him up and lock him away somewhere?
Sounds good. Now that that's decided, let's find something to bind him--
Oh, how about this cable? Will it work?
Yes. I'm sure pulling out one mere cable won't do any harm to the system.

The two of them smirked at each other maliciously as they pulled a cable out from under the control panel. It was then that Watase finally realized it:

(Th-this is bad... these guys aren't in their right minds...!)

Watase glanced briefly at the door as he shuddered in fear. --Just then.

Ah! Trying to run!?
Not good! Hold him down!

The two of them suddenly sprung at Watase.

--! L-let me go!

Watase succumbed to panic and shook them off of him. It was right then that his elbow smashed into Jun's face.

Ahh!

Jun screamed, and then-- Watase heard a very thick sound behind him.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

He turned around to see Jun's head crashing into the edge of a piece of machinery.

Ugh...

Jun moaned in agony-- then suddenly stopped moving right then and there, her eyes still agape.

M-Moribe!?

Kazami spoke in what almost sounded like a scream and held Jun's body in her arms.

Moribe! Hang in there! Moribe!

But Jun didn't answer.

I-it can't be...

Kazami lost her composure and checked Jun's Vital Checker.

Watase saw that with his own eyes.

A-are you kidding me...?

Humans shouldn't be able to die so easily. That thought flickered through Watase's head. But the fact remained that Jun was neither moving nor breathing.

Aaah, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Jun! Please answer me! Jun! Jun! Why... why did this...!?

Kazami's shouts of grief echoed through the room.

Captain Kasasagi... you've really done it this time...!

A dark flame smoldered in Ukita's eyes.

N—no... no, I didn't...!

Watase panicked. Before he knew it, he was bolting for the door.

Watase immediately shouted at her.

Teach! Please get out of my way!
No... I can't do that... I hate to say it... but you have committed a grave sin... Now you must live up to it as an adult. As a man. So please-- don't run away from the reality behind you! I'm begging you!

Ena looked Watase straight in the eye, compelling him to listen to her. There were no signs of madness in her eyes.

Teach...

Watase had indeed committed a sin. Accident or not, he had still taken the life of one of his comrades with his very hands. That was something completely unforgivable.

(I... dammit...)

Watase stopped trying to run away, his strength slowly leaving him. He then looked at Ena and spoke.

I'm sorry... I'll do as you say.

Watase feebly gave that answer-- but then...

!!

Someone suddenly rammed right into his back with all their might. Watase was sent flying to the ground--

Ahh!

--and knocked into Ena, who fell with him. When he came to his senses, someone was bending over his back.

(--Who is it!?)

Was it Ukita? Or Kazami? But as Watase tried to turn around--

--!?

His whole body went numb with a shock. Something had been slid between his ribs through his back. --Something cold? That thought crossed Watase's mind for a minute,

(It burns!)

but he was mistaken. His brain had merely perceived it incorrectly. A second later, he realized what had happened.

(I've-- been stabbed!?)

By who? With what? Why? Those questions flashed through his head all at once.

He heard someone panting heavily.

Wha... why would you--!?
(--Who is it!? Who stabbed me!?)

But before he could figure it out--

Watase threw blood up on Ena's chest. And it didn't stop there--

*cough*! *cough* *cough*!

A great rush of blood came flooding out of his mouth with each violent coughing fit. His lungs were already full of blood. He couldn't breathe. It hurt. So much so that he couldn't take it.

*cough *cough*! *cough*, *cough* *cough* *cough*!

His vision was dyed dark red with blood. And then--

Sound also faded away from his world. Despite that, his suffering did not end. He was drowning in the blood filling his lungs. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. He screamed.

My voice isn't coming out! It hurts. It hurts. It hurts.

(Is this my punishment for taking Jun's life!? Then please-- let it end quickly!)

Watase's consciousness was then devoured wholly by his agony.