Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Father

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

How admirable... but are you really okay with leaving it at that?
Huh?
I'm saying that it's dangerous to trust Mr. Ukita unconditionally when you don't know him that well. This is a life-or-death crisis we're in here. Shouldn't we be doubting those who seem suspicious?

Ena was looking at him with questioning eyes. But Watase shook his head.

No. I still don't want to doubt anyone. I can't save lives if I don't trust others, right?
Even though the one you're trying to save may not be a good person? To use a rather extreme example... what if they were a murderer?

Ena's face was dead serious-- That's why Watase answered honestly, with not a trace of doubt in his words or on his face.

...I probably would save them. If I ever think 'I shouldn't save them because they're a bad person' or 'I should save them because they're a good person' for even a second-- Then I believe I'll have lost all right to be a rescue worker. I don't want to be that kind of person.

Ena's face warped at those words.

...You're an idiot.
Call me whatever you like. But I'd rather be deceived than doubt others--
No, going down that path's not the answer! Thinking that way will only get you killed, you know?
!?

Watase was rendered speechless by Ena's sudden outburst. Ena cast her eyes down and spoke.

...I know someone who's like you.
Who...?
My father. 'If people lose their ability to trust, then it's all over'... those were the words he lived by.
Sounds like a good father if you ask me.
He was. But-- But that belief cost him his life.
H-how did that happen...?
He was killed.
...!

Watase couldn't speak. He felt like he'd asked something he shouldn't have. In spite of that, Ena kept on talking about it as if they were having a normal conversation.

My father was a member of a 'probation agency'. His job was to manage the reformation of criminals. It was a simple job that operated underground, but my father had a sense of duty about his job, working his heart out both passionately and sincerely.
Why would anyone kill a man like that...?
...One time, my father was put in charge of a particularly vicious subject. A dangerous person who everyone else had given up on as a lost cause. But my father still made a serious effort to take care of him and reform his charge. ...But it didn't work out. My father got way too empathetic and let his guard down... And then that very same person he'd opened his heart to stabbed him one night...!

Ena kept looking bitterly at the ground as she gritted her teeth. Watase only barely managed to speak, and even then, his voice was faint.

...What happened to the murderer...?
The arrest and sentence were made ages ago... Perhaps... my father died for nothing.

Ena looked up and stared straight at Watase.

I respect the way my father lived his life and I still love him to this day. It may not be the same as what he did, but a 'teacher' is still a job that contributes to society. But I can't unconditionally trust people the way my father did... It just seems way too dangerous. ...So that's why I don't want you to...

A somewhat different expression rose to Ena's face when she said that. One that was as hard as steel and yet as brittle as stone—- Watase looked straight into that face and answered in a quiet voice.

...I know what you're saying... but I still want to trust everyone, even the old man. He's still struggled with us all this way. That makes him one of us.

After taking Ena's feelings into consideration, Watase wondered if he perhaps should have left that unsaid. But Ena instead just replied with a faint yet sad tone in her voice.

...I see. Well, to each his own, I suppose. And I'm sorry to tell you such an ominous story... even though you and my father are not the same.
No... it's okay. Thanks for telling me about that.

Ena laughed somewhat awkwardly in response. Her face had already returned to that of a calm teacher.

All right then, I think it's about time we got back to searching, you?
Yeah, I'm feeling better now. We need to hurry and find those kids.
Yes... that's for sure.

Watase and Ena ran off towards Area 1 to find Ukita.

And then we reenter Nursing.