Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

She told me how her own great-grandmother was a renowned sage who came from the western continent to be married.
A sage? What do you mean?
I didn't really understand at first either. But apparently even though she was a woman, she was a master of sword-fighting and magic.
Really? So...

If only... But I'm not under any illusions. I'm sure there's room for improvement with my sword work, and any real magician would think my magic's just child's play.
You think? Well I can't do either. If you ask me, your magic's amazing.
Thanks, but it really isn't. In fact, if you ask me...

I'm sure there are abilities and skills that haven't yet been awakened in you. But one day they will be. And I can't wait to see you when that day comes.

The last thing she sees is Alistair's face, before...

The voice acting says "Guv" which is kind of adorable.

"What...? What happened? I feel like I've just woken up from a really long dream..."
"Ah, it looks like you're back with us at last. Don't you remember? You disappeared the day after we defeated Dhoulmagus."
"...Yes... I do remember... But wasn't that all a dream?"

"It was this huge, terrible, evil, magical... being..."

"But I've found some things out. Listen, I've got so much to tell you..."
"There's no need to rush. Just take your time, and start at the beginning."
"Yes..."

None of this is a big surprise if you're putting together the clues, but it's nice to get confirmation about everything, isn't it? Or maybe the excitement of the boss fights made you forget a few.

"Rhapthorne once terrorised the world, and it was the seven sages who managed to seal away his soul."

"Rhapthrone's curse seeks to destroy those sages' heirs... Master Rylus, my brother Alistair, Abbot Francisco, and the man from Baccarat too... Everyone who's been killed has been an heir of one of the seven sages."
"Hm... The plot thickens! Do you mean to say that the reason Medea and I haven't been turned back to normal is also to do with this Rhapthorne fellow?"

"If the heirs of all seven sages are wiped out, Rhapthorne's seal will be broken and he'll escape from the scept-"

Christ almighty. We forgot the sceptre.

"You mean the royal treasure? Come to think of it, I don't know. I lost sight of it in all of the hullabaloo."

"We have to find it! We have to save David! Come on, Eight! We must find the sceptre before it's too late!"

Angelo's down after having shot a few arrows into Jessica.

David's somehow still alive!

He also ignores the things the teal lady with veins and two voices said and continues to want to serve Dominico because he's dumb and magical binds from generations ago.

I don't know what you're talking about. Everything

is going

...gently caress.

Stalked by Fear

With those haunting words, spoken in a demonic voice obviously not a dog's, Sir Leopold leaps off faster than anyone could follow.

"H-He's... He's the only one who makes... Master Dominico... happy... Without... Sir Leo... pold, Master... Dominico would... would... be so... u-unhappy..."

Ever selfless, David's last thoughts and last words are on his master.

"David? Esteemed heir to the great sage Kupas?"

"I... I couldn't protect you.. All the magic that has been in my family for generations... My ancestors brought me and Kupas's heir together for a reason, but I..."

Dominico collapses sobbing. Some time later...

"It hit me the moment I saw poor David's body. Now everything is clear. It appears I was put on this world as part of a grander design, to fulfil my family's destiny."

"But somewhere along the way my ancestors let the power go to their heads. We lost sight of our true purpose. ...If only I'd realised all this sooner, I could have prevented this tragedy. I ordered my servants to bury David as the heir to a great sage should be buried, but... Nothing can put right the wrong I have done! I am not fit to show my face in public..."

I... I think the man deserves it.

"I know it was my Leopold who ended David's life. It pains me to have to ask you, but..."

"That creature isn't my Leopold any more. He's being controlled by some evil magic. I know this won't make amends for my unforgivable ignorance, but it's all I can do now... And I owe you something too. For all the trouble I have caused you..."

"Allow me to awaken the dormant powers within you!"

With a gesture, a light envelops Jessica.

Nice.

"I'm sorry to have to ask this of you. I wish you the best of luck!"

It's finally at this point that Jessica truly rejoins our party, the way she was after defeating Dhoulmagus, two new spells excepted. I have to refill her inventory myself.

"Er... It's nothing much, but... Ever since we defeated Dhoulmagus and I picked up the sceptre, I haven't been able to speak my own mind."

"I don't know who or what this Lord of Darkness, Rhapthorne is, but we can't afford to relax while the sceptre is still missing. I don't intend to stop searching until we've found that sceptre and sealed Rhapthorne away again."

Nah being an accomplice to murder is kind of a weird thing to go through.

"Really? Thanks, Eight. You're sweet, you know that?"

You know how we cleared rank B? It's time to get to those new monsters now that we're back to a four-body party. We're back on the Dark Ruins island.

If this guy appeared before rank B, the early clear wouldn't be an achievement. It'd just be the clear.

He's fast, he's got high damage, and he hits twice.

So fast that even with Acelleratle he got in before I could heal Jessica.

All that work and she's already dead!

Oh crap.

Eventually I get my poo poo together enough for Yangus to sneak in the win.

Skeledoid is brutal, and brutality is what we need.

On Princess Minnie's island is this guy.

As you can imagine from him being so huge, he's kinda powerful.

He's open to boobs though.

Oomphing Angelo makes Seraph's Arrow recover too much MP. See, it's really, really good at keeping him topped off.

But perhaps I shouldn't have spent a turn not booblocking him!?

Keep in mind he's still standing after all of this Oomph shenanigans.

Steropes is a brick of HP and attack who hits the enemy, hits the enemy harder, or critically hits the enemy. His poor status resistances are no problem in practice.

Finally, monsters capable of standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Talos!

Those fuckers hitting the team with big arms and weapons has made them quite tired.

"And I'm so happy Jessica's back with us... Even if father and I are still cursed. Sometimes I wonder if we'll have to spend the rest of our lives like this. I'm sorry. It's just that I get so sad every time I think of Trodain covered in thorns. You know what's strange though? That you weren't affected by the curse, Eight."

"Don't forget to take me to the spring every now and then. I miss talking to you..."

I'd be remiss not to collect the other interesting rank-B monster available now.

It took a round of Memento Morrie's power moves after all.

Skeledoid can put things to sleep as a side-effect of its regular physicals. So it can hit the rare status vulnerability but not waste turns if the enemy resists sleep. Skeledoid is amazing.

While not as numerically impressive as other recent acquisitions, Octurion does have some tricks. it knows Fullheal and Zing, while still having a respectable Multithrust. His AI isn't as reliable about healing as Curer, though, so do keep in mind he's not completely perfect.

Okay I guess she asked.

She could legally vote and smoke cigars, if she weren't a horse. They can only vote.

"I had grass instead of birthday cake, though..."
"I remember the first time you came to the castle. We were just eight years old. It's hard to believe we've known each other for ten years now! You were an orphan, so you lived in the castle. And in what seemed like no time, you worked your way up to palace guard! Actually Eight, I have a secret. I recommended you for the position to my father."

You know, all these sidequests might make that difficult. Happy horsey 19th coming up!

Why was I making this? I dig around in my items for a few minutes after this and have no immediate plan. Was it a long term thing? Does nature abhor a belt of strength?

I wonder if it's good or bad for his self-esteem that Yangus's weapon so often blocks his face.

Angelo persists in being Angelo.

Jessica catches on to the obvious romantic subtext of Medea eating grass for her birthday.

Anyway, we're gonna delve deeper into Morrie's Monstrous Pit with our new friends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 2, 2017