Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TRANSFER STUDENT: 09/11/2030, 08:10

Natsuhiko and Mashiro walked down the hallway, trying to ignore the noise.

Soon enough, Ena walked in.

Students: Good morning.
Mmhmm, that's what I like to hear. Now then, we've got a little surprise for you all today. A brand new friend is joining our class!
Male Student 1: Woah, a transfer student!?
Male Student 2: Is it a girl?
Indeed she is. Now then, Ms. Sannomiya, please come in~

Ena turned to the door and called to someone outside.

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

!?

Natsuhiko had seen that girl before.

Male Student 1: Woah~! No way! A blondie!?
Female Student 1: I-is she half-Japanese...?
Female Student 2: She's so tiny and cute~!
Male Student 2: Isn't she a little -too- tiny? What, is she an elementary schooler?

The introduction of the sweet, precious little girl had the class ecstatic. But in contrast to the excitement, Natsuhiko's face merely went stiff.

(That girl...!)

That was the very same girl that had been staring at Natsuhiko and Mashiro at the scene of the accident yesterday.

(That girl... is now my classmate...?)
Okay, go ahead and introduce yourself now.

At that signal, the girl opened her lips.

Louise Yui Sannomiya.

...And that was it. That was apparently all she had to say about herself.

...Uhm~ Ms. Sannomiya's mother is from France, and so she's been living there most her life. She hasn't had much experience with Japanese culture, so she might feel a little lost, but--
No, I don't feel particularly lost. There's no need for concern.
O-oh...? W-well, if you say so...

She shut Ena down in fluent Japanese. But Ena quickly recovered and continued where she left off.

...Uhm, Ms. Sannomiya is only 13 years old, but she skipped grades and was admitted into this class.
Male Student 1: Incredible! So she's one 'a those child prodigies!?
Perhaps, but before that, she's still a member of your class. So get along with her, okay everyone?
Students: Okay~

Ever since around 2025, even Japanese schools started allowing for students to skip grades, so a 13-year-old high schooler was not entirely out of the ordinary. But they were still uncommon. This was the first time Natsuhiko had actually seen one.

Well then, Ms. Sannomiya. Homeroom is about to begin, so please take a seat for now. Your seat will be in the very back by the window.

Ena pointed to the seat next to Mashiro's.

Understood.

Acknowledging the teacher indifferently, the girl named Sannomiya started walking to her new seat.

A blue branch with Salyu at 4.

(Wh-what's with her...?)

But she said nothing, slipping in beside Natsuhiko to reach her seat.

Hey, Natsuhiko. She's pretty cute, huh?
She's like a doll, even...
It kinda looked like she was staring at you, huh, Natsuhiko?

Natsuhiko answered Mashiro's casual question while hiding his unrest.

...Maybe, I guess.
You don't know her by any chance, do you?
No...
Hmm? But things are getting pretty interesting, don't you think?
Huh? Interesting how?
We got a half-Japanese transfer student! How often does that happen? We gotta make friends with her for sure!
...You sure are infatuated with her.

As they spoke, Ena continued on with homeroom. And after a few short announcements--

Okay, that's the end of morning homeroom. See you this afternoon, everyone~

Ena departed the classroom with a farewell. And as if waiting for that cue, all the girls made a beeline to Sannomiya's desk.

Female Student 2: What do you like to do on your days off?
Female Student 3: Why'd you move at such an odd time?

In light of all of these questions--

I lived in Andresy. I read on my days off. I moved because of family circumstances. That's all. Anything else?

She answered all of the questions in one breath and then looked at each of the girls. The girls fell silent at her intense gaze.

Female Student 1: Ah...
Is there a problem with that?
Female Student 2: No, there's not really a problem, but...
Female Student 3: Well, you know, we were kinda worried you might be having trouble adapting to an environment where everyone's older than you, so...
Female Student 1: Ah, yeah, that. So we thought we'd try to come and bring up a conversation for you...
No need for your concern. I don't want any special treatment for my age. An age difference of two or three years is not very significant relative to the human lifespan.
Female Student 1: Ah, yeah, I guess...
Understand? Then please, if you would treat me normally.

Sannomiya bluntly answered as she took a paperback book out of her bag. Not an ounce of warmth could be felt from her voice.

Did she just not like being interrogated? Or was that a show of her pride as a child prodigy? In any case, she definitely seemed the type to distance herself from other people.

Female Student 1: ...Ahahah, sorry for speaking out to you so suddenly.
Female Student 2: ...Hey, let's go.
Female Student 3: Yeah...

One by one, the girls left Sannomiya alone. -- But that didn't discourage a certain other girl from approaching her.

It was Mashiro. Sannomiya shuddered for a second before glaring at her.

...?
H-huh? Bon...jouuuur?
...Bonjour.
Oh, good, my bonjour got through to you. Thank goodness. I wasn't too sure of myself there.

Awkward silence. Mashiro darted her eyes back and forth, perhaps looking for a topic of conversation, before resting those eyes on the book Sannomiya was holding.

...Oh, I see you like reading. How tasteful. One of my friends loves books too, actually.
Really.
I've read that book too. That's a famous sci-fi young adult fiction masterpiece, right?
R-right...?

No matter what Mashiro said, Sannomiya would not humor her with a proper reply. Natsuhiko held his breath, watching their little exchange out of the corner of his eye.

...What do you need?
Huh? Ah, no, well... Since we're classmates from now on, you know~ I thought maybe we should be friends.

Mashiro said, heeding Sannomiya’s wish not to be treated as a younger child.

However, Sannomiya herself merely furrowed her eyebrows in displeasure.

(That's enough, Mashiro... Give up. She's clearly rejecting you.)

Natsuhiko was about to stop Mashiro-- but right before he could, Sannomiya murmured.

... Suit yourself.
!?

An unexpected reaction. He was sure she was going to reject her.

Yay! So allow me to make a proper introduction! I'm Mashiro Toba, and this is my friend, Natsuhiko!
Wait, what?

Natsuhiko jumped, startled to hear his own name come up.

H-hey, Mashiro... don't just go introducing me on your own.
What're you being so stiff for? A friend of a friend is a friend, right? Now, now, go greet her properly. You -are- her elder.

Mashiro pulled Natsuhiko to his feet by the arm. So there was really no way he could back down at that point.

Ah... well, I'm Natsuhiko Tenkawa. Nice to meet you.
...Nice to meet you.
Now, then, what should we call you? Ms. Sannomiya. Louise. Yui-Yui... They're all so cute, I just can't pick one.
It doesn't really matter which--
Oh, I know! I'll jam all three together and call you 'Salyu'. How's that!?
Woah, woah, Mashiro. Giving her a nickname right off the bat...? Don't you think you're jumping the gun just a little?

A blue branch with Mashiro at 7 and Salyu at 4.

So, how about it? How does Salyu sound? I think it's cute, personally~
Hmm... well, I don't see why not.
Really!?

Mashiro nodded to herself repeatedly.

Now that he thought about it, Mashiro would often give her friends nicknames in the past. Perhaps that helped her grow socially.

Good job, Mashiro. Looks like she likes it.
Yup! Eheheh, Salyu~?
...Mm.

Sannomiya, now christened ''Salyu'', had begun the day with a thoroughly cold attitude. But just like that, she was gradually eased into becoming Mashiro and Natsuhiko's new ''friend''...