Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

PARAPSYCHOLOGY RESEARCH CENTER: 09/11/2030, 14:00

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

Ena called out to her students.

This is the mecca of BC research in Rokumei City, the Parapsychology Research Center.

Now then, class, let's come on in!

Natsuhiko and the rest of the class followed Ena, who seemed oddly excited for the field trip.

PRC Staff Member: Well, this is the office. We conduct all kinds of experimental data analysis here. From a chiefly biological standpoint, BC is a function of brain activity, and thus--

Mashiro and the other students listened on curiously, but Natsuhiko was completely inattentive.

(For a cutting-edge research facility, they've got a pretty ordinary-looking office...)

He was merely pondering dumb thoughts like that. In contrast to Natsuhiko, the most curious of them all was--

I see, I see~ That's so enlightening!

Their leader, Ena.

Do you do BC particle research here too?
PRC Staff Member: Research on that front takes place at a different laboratory. It's highly classified information, so we can't show you, however. For example, one certain laboratory conducts research on the function of intracerebral Mind particles and their interaction with Wanderer particles.
What about measurement and analysis of the energy generated intracerebrally during BC usage?
PRC Staff Member: Yes, naturally we conduct research on that as well. For example, in the case of a Level 4 Communicator, a maximum of 10 microscalar values of energy--

And thus, Ena and the staff member essentially had a one-on-one conversation, ignoring the students... And eventually, the field trip came to a close.

As they left the facility, Ena spoke to the lined up students.

Aren't you the one who had the most fun, Ms. Ena--? You started getting all technical on us and we couldn't keep up.

A few students laughed at Mashiro's jab.

Y-you're right. I'm sorry. I can't have talks like that with the other teachers, so I got a little carried away back there... How embarrassing. Anyway, that's it for classes today. There's a bus back to school, but you may also split up here if you'd like.
Students: Okay~
Be careful on your way back, everyone. The field trip's not over until you get home~

And with that piece of advice, the field trip was over. The students dispersed in every which way. Since Natsuhiko and the others were not part of any clubs and thus had no business on campus after school, they decided to head straight home.

Awrighty, how about we head home, Natsuhiko? Yeah, sure.

Natsuhiko half-heartedly replied.

(Ah, man... I'm kinda tired.)

The sharp-sighted Ena caught sight of Natsuhiko's yawn and called out to him.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

Ah... Professor.

Ena smiled dryly when Natsuhiko twitched.

You were spacing out during the field trip too, weren't you? We can't be having any of that.
I-I'm sorry.
Hmm... You really don't like parapsychology, do you Mr. Tenkawa? That makes me a little sad as your parapsychology teacher.
No, it's not that, Professor. It's just...
It's just...?
I'm not too good with BC itself, actually. It's hard to explain...

Natsuhiko spoke what was on his mind. Upon which, Mashiro cut in beside him.

Natsuhiko didn't hate BC this much in the past, but... it looks like he's becoming more self-aware of how he's not good at it these past few years.
I see... But there've always been people like that.

Ena smiled somewhat sadly as she spoke.

And I'd like to change their perspectives if at all possible. And that's kind of why I became a parapsychology teacher. Even though I'm not a Communicator myself... Is that strange?
No, I don't find it strange in the slightest.

Natsuhiko struggled to find a reply. Just as Ena said, she was a parapsychology teacher, but couldn't use BC in the slightest. But for someone of Ena's generation, that was only natural. The great worldwide Communicator boom only began about 16 years ago, after all. The vast majority of those born before that couldn't use BC. Even the teachers at Rokumei Academy were no exception. However-- Natsuhiko was somewhat fond of having a female teacher this close to his own age. And so in a rare display of good will, Natsuhiko gave reluctant words of encouragement.

I... I think that's commendable. I heard there aren't that many people striving to become parapsychology teachers.
Heheh, thanks.
But what gave you the motivation, Ms. Ena? I heard that there were a lot of people who hated BC in your generation.
Well, Ms. Toba. It's because I believe my efforts will be crucial to the society of tomorrow.

Ena's face suddenly turned serious at that point in the conversation.

Interpersonal relations are going through a huge turnabout. And as a result, I'm sure society will too. Currently, every nation is striving to research BC and protect Communicators. After all, everyone's waiting to see what possibilities you guys will bring.
Possibilities...?
For example, telepathy allows for telepaths to directly convey 'emotions' to their targets, doesn't it? That ability is expected to have practical applications for psychological treatments. For example, if you sent a target patient a lot of 'cheerful emotions', you could perhaps eliminate the negative emotions that are causing their psychological disorder.
I see. That does sound like a good use case scenario.
Do you think maybe even our school could produce that sort of Newtype therapist?
Of course. But on the other hand, BC is dangerous if handled improperly... The history of BC is still mostly unwritten. Nobody knows for sure whether it'll be a benevolent art or a malevolent one. But since it's here to stay, I want to help guide the young Communicators towards making it a benevolent one. And that's why I pursued my career.

Ena was usually playful, but here, she spoke with a serious tone of voice.

Ms. Ena... that's so cool! I respect you even more now!
Heheh, and respect is the best thing you can ever give to a teacher.

As Ena spoke, she glanced at Natsuhiko.

So, Mr. Tenkawa. That's why I want all of my students to have a correct understanding of BC.
Y-yes, Professor.
Today's field trip, as well as all the usual practice drills, are all part of the curriculum to achieve that. You mustn't hate BC until you have complete understanding of it, okay?
I see... Okay. I guess I'll give it a shot.
Good. That's all I ask for now.

And with that, Ena turned back.

Okay, I'll go speak with that staff member one last time. See you tomorrow at school.
Okay, see you tomorrow.
Goodbye, Ms. Ena--

And with that exchange of farewells, they parted ways with Ena.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

Good grief, Natsuhiko, you really suck up to Ms. Ena, huh?
Ugh... Is that what it looked like?
Well yeah, Mr. 'I'll give it a shot'. It's not like you're actually going to even try~

Bullseye. He himself had forgotten in the heat of the moment, but Natsuhiko staunchly hated BC. His classmates were mastering telepathy one by one, but no matter how much time had passed, Natsuhiko remained at Ability Level 0. He would completely lose motivation during parapsychology lessons. Even now, when Ena was the parapsychology teacher.

...But still, it would probably hurt her if I answered honestly.
True, true. Ms. Ena really loves BC, after all.
No, it's not just that. I mean she said 'BC is dangerous if handled improperly', too. So I wonder if she's had a bad experience relating to BC in the past... I mean, I'm sure that's why she was talking so seriously.
Mmm, you really must be staring at her to catch something like that...

Right as Mashiro said that-- a voice suddenly came up from behind.

???: Do you two agree?
Waaah!

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

S—Salyu? What's this all of a sudden?
Do we agree about what?
Do you agree 'BC is dangerous if handled improperly'?

That was the first time Salyu was the one to initiate conversation. Natsuhiko answered, somewhat surprised.

No... well, that's what they used to say in the past.
Was it different in France?
Don't know...
Uh... what do you mean you don't know? What are you trying to say?
Nothing, just wanted to hear your opinion. I'm done. Bye.

And with that, Salyu promptly tried to leave.

Huh? H-hey...
H-hang on a second. Salyu!
What?
Since we're all out here anyway, why not go home together? A bus'll be here any moment now to take us to the residential area--
No thanks. I have somewhere to go.

Salyu turned down Mashiro's offer and walked away. Leaving just the two of them behind.

...What was that about?
H-hmm... She sure is a girl full of mysteries, huh.

After a moment of confusion, they headed to the bus stop, still at a loss to explain what happened.