Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FOR YOU: 09/11/2030, 20:00

The conversation was shockingly sparse. Mashiro asked Salyu various questions, but only received short, blunt answers. Yuuri was here too, but Salyu basically didn't speak to her. Same with Natsuhiko. And thus, dinner ended without any improvement to the awkward atmosphere.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

Yeah, thanks again for today.
See you tomorrow, Mashiron~
...Yeah.

After Salyu gave a noncommittal response, Mashiro sent her a fleeting glance and then spoke.

So, Natsuhiko, would you mind walking me back for just a bit?
Huh? That's odd. You usually don't ask me to...

Right as Natsuhiko began to talk,

Mashiro continued by means of telepathy.

...Y-yeah, you're right. Okay.
Thanks.

Natsuhiko nodded and left the house with Mashiro.

Mashiro said with a wry smile as they left the entryway.

You can say that again...
You don't like it, Natsuhiko?
I'm not particularly bothered by it, personally. I'm just worried about how Yuuri feels about it.
...Of course...
I'm just worried the sudden change in environment could open up old wounds for Yuuri... I hope she's okay.

Naturally, Mashiro was also aware of how Yuuri's past experiences prevented her from going outside. Mashiro and Natsuhiko had consulted each other from time to time and agreed to ''quietly watch over her'', but--

Hmm, it might be rash of me to think this, but... may be it'll actually be beneficial for her in that regard?
Huh? What do you mean?
If nothing changes, Yuuri will never be able to rejoin 'society'. And to be honest, I really think that's a bad thing for her.
Y-yeah...

A blue branch with Mashiro at 7, Yuuri at 5 and Salyu at 4.

I think that'll be a plus for Yuuri. And maybe even the professor brought Salyu here with that same intention?
I wonder...

Natsuhiko could only halfway agree with that assessment. Mashiro's reasoning made sense, but he didn't expect that sort of thoughtfulness from his cold mother.

Hopefully that's the case. Well, let's just settle into it. I'll be there to help in my own way.
I see... I'm sorry you had to get involved in all this too, Mashiro.
Nah, it's fine, it's fine. More importantly, I'm worried about how Salyu feels too. Not just Yuuri.
How Salyu feels?
I mean look, that poor girl's probably nervous, don't you think? I mean, she's been so quiet.
Huh... nervous, you say? It looked like she was just being rude to me...
Idiot! What do you think you're saying!? You're so immature! Look, Natsuhiko. All things said and done, she's still just a 13-year-old girl, you know? Of course she'd be nervous when told she has to live with an older boy. Go talk to her some more so she can relax a bit, okay?
I-I guess you're right...

Natsuhiko couldn't bring himself to agree, but for now he decided to just go along with what she said.

Okay, I guess I'll give it a shot.
That answer again?
Ah, no, it's not like I'm trying to just blow you off or anything.
Hahah, nah, it's okay. I'm counting on you. Well, see you tomorrow, Natsuhiko.
Yeah, later.

Mashiro patted Natsuhiko on the shoulder before walking off into the night.

(Geez, she's so softhearted...)

That was also one of Mashiro's good points, but--

When it comes to me, it gets kind of difficult...

He muttered before heading back to the house, but then--

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

!?

A voice called out from the darkness of the entryway, startling Natsuhiko.

H-how long have you been there, Salyu?
I just came out. Since you were taking so long to get back.
...Did you hear my conversation with Mashiro?
No, not at all.
(Really, now...?)

Natsuhiko had some doubts, but he couldn't read anything out of Salyu's expression.

Nah, it was a pretty dumb conversation anyway. Something about how you're oh so cute...

Natsuhiko tried to gloss things over, but immediately--

Stuffed Animal: Kyuu~...

The stuffed animal in Salyu's arms squealed.

Wha-!?
...!

Natsuhiko was once again startled. At the same time, Salyu's expression stiffened.

S-Salyu? Did that thing just squeal?
What of it?

Salyu answered as if it were only natural for it to squeal like that.

(What of it...? Is there some sort of trick behind that thing?)

Salyu abruptly spoke in Natsuhiko's confusion.

Natsuhiko, you're keeping your guard up around me, aren't you?
Huh? No, I wouldn't say that...
That would be upsetting. I was sent here to protect you, after all.
Huh...? You... protect me? Hold on a second, why would you have to protect me?
The professor asked.
Mom did!? No, but still, I mean... what exactly would you have to protect me from? I'm not exactly a VIP or anything.
The professor said 'It's dangerous around here lately. There's no telling what he could get dragged into or when.'
Wha...?

Natsuhiko honestly couldn't understand Salyu's words or his mother's intentions. Salyu may have been good at sports and studies, but she would be the last person you'd imagine to be a bodyguard.

Why do -I- have to be 'protected' by a girl like you? Isn't it normally the other way around? Not like I have any obligation to protect you, though...
It's not like I have any obligation to protect you either.
...? Not following you here. What exactly could I get dragged into in the first place--

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

But for now, just please be careful...!

Natsuhiko couldn't help but feel that those words and that situation had something to do with all this.

(Don't tell me that Salyu's arrival could've been one of those ''strange things'' Mr. Ukita was talking about?)

Or did he mean that even stranger things were going to start occurring? Did Salyu come here to protect Natsuhiko when that time came?

...Salyu. Does Mom think I'm going to get into some sort of danger?
I don't know the particulars either. I was just told to protect you.

Salyu answered indifferently. Did she really not know the details, or did she merely not feel like answering? --Natsuhiko couldn't even tell.

...Anyway, Natsuhiko, you should just let me protect you. If you put up your guard around me, it makes my work difficult. And it makes me feel bad when you're unkind to me. Stop.
I-I'm sorry about that...
As long as you understand. I have a daily routine to do, so I'm going back to my room.
Huh? Hey, wait...

Salyu abruptly ended their discussion and went back inside.

(What's with that girl...?)

Salyu's attitude was the same as when they parted ways at the Parapsychology Research Center earlier that day.

(But still... protect me how?)

Salyu's words were most likely not being made out of the kindness of her heart. She appeared to only be begrudgingly following Dr. Tenkawa's orders.

(Why did Mom really order Salyu to do that...?)

After all, Rokumei City excelled in public order. Very rarely did anyone get dragged into a crime. But even so-- there was something that bothered him.

(Now that I think about it, Mr. Ukita's part of LABO's staff... he's Mom's coworker. What if that car crash wasn't an accident...? What if some circumstances are causing those with connections to LABO to be targeted?)

He considered the thought for a moment, but he couldn't think of any rationale behind it. Why did the professor give neither Natsuhiko nor Salyu a proper explanation? Furthermore, did Salyu really come just to protect Natsuhiko?

... ...

Natsuhiko muttered to himself and quit trying to think about it.

(Doesn't look like there's going to be any real harm done, so I'll just leave things as they are.)

If thinking won't solve something, then just try not to think about it. That was the mantra of Natsuhiko's lifestyle. But even so-- Natsuhiko had a faint worry in the back of his mind. The worry that events he couldn't see were slowly coming to a head...