Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

THE PAST AND PRESENT YOU: 09/11/2030, 20:17

He pulled himself together and hopped back through the entryway into his home.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Hmm? Oh, yeah, I did.
Okay. Good, good.

Yuuri's casual tone of voice was a relief to Natsuhiko.

(A lot happened today... but it's a huge relief that Yuuri's the same as always.)

All his worries and weariness were washed away with one look at Yuuri's smile. Natsuhiko returned her smile and sank into the sofa.

How'd you spend your day today, Yuuri?
Same as yesterday~ I did a little knitting and read two books from a series.
A series? What kind of story is it?
Let's see... it's a heartfelt series of romance novels. It's written in the format of the protagonist writing down his own memories of the past... The opening line was quite impressive. 'Memories are ambiguous'. it really drew me in.
Memories are ambiguous?
Yeah. According to the protagonist himself... 'People tend to rewrite their own memories unconsciously. And so even this story itself is not necessarily the truth.' Isn't it interesting for a romance novel to begin like that?
Yeah, though it sounds a tad perplexing.
But you know, as you continue the story, you learn that it really is like that. Memories are never reliable. You could end up recalling something completely different depending on your current situation and mental state.
Huh, does that really happen?
Of course it does. For example, let's say someone was deeply in love. As long as that love endured, their memory of their lover might be radiant... but if that love were to end, those memories could turn bitter, couldn't they?
Hmm... true, that does sound plausible. I've never experienced it myself, so I can't say for sure, though.
It's not just romance, though. The same happens in casual, everyday events, don't you think? Sometimes you can mix up things that you said with things that someone else said, right?
Ah, I know that feeling. Mashiro and I often argue whether I said this or she said that.
Right? And so eventually, the protagonist of this story becomes aware that each time he recalls his own past, his memories get subtly rewritten. 'Even if the truth doesn't change, feelings do.' 'There is no absolute truth.' 'The past is a haze of ambiguity.' So not even the protagonist himself knows which memories are real. But--
But?
That's all I've read so far. Saving the rest for tomorrow.
I-I see.

Even Yuuri was confusing him now. Natsuhiko's shoulders drooped. She softly smiled and continued.

...But still, even though we don't know the end of the story, it feels like a hopeful one, doesn't it?
Hopeful because memories are ambiguous?
Yeah. Memories may change, but even so... Wouldn't it be nice if one day, all memories, sweet and bitter ones alike, could change into something beautiful?

Her words sounded more than just a simple impression of a novel. But her expression was unexpectedly calm-- which relieved Natsuhiko as he answered.

You're right... That really would be nice.
I know, right?
But still, Yuuri, you really like talking about stuff like 'memories', don't you? You've talked about a novel like that before too, haven't you? One where all the characters had completely different testimonials of what happened during the same event.
Yeah, I love that topic. Just a tiny change in memory could make you and someone else have completely different impressions of the same thing.

Now that she mentioned it, Natsuhiko noticed that he and Mashiro had completely contrary impressions of Salyu.

(That reminds me, I haven't directly asked Yuuri about her yet, have I?)

And with that thought in mind, Natsuhiko asked her with a sigh.

...Say, Yuuri. Since we're talking about impressions and all...
Huh, what's up?
What do you think... about Salyu?
Huh, what's this all of a sudden? Hikorin, do you have something against Salyu?
No, nothing like that... It's just... I was wondering if you were okay with us suddenly getting a new addition to the household.
Hmm, I'm okay, but... I'm more worried about Salyu. She seems nervous to me.
Huh? You think so too, Yuuri...?

This yellow branch, with Yuuri at 5, hides the entrance to Yuuri's first friendship scene.

Like how I became friends with you...?

That was a story from long, long ago. Natsuhiko's brain became filled with memories of those days. He felt as if time itself were melting away as he recalled the memory of the day he and Yuuri first met--