Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ENCOUNTER

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

On that day alone, all of Natsuhiko's playmates were busy, including Mashiro.

Tch, what a waste of a Sunday...

Natsuhiko went and played by himself in the park, bored. And that was when he met Yuuri, who was doing the same.

For some reason, tears were spilling down her face. She was so quiet, yet so sad. Upon seeing her, Natsuhiko got concerned and asked her,

Hey, hey, why are you crying?
Hweh...?

That was the first conversation Natsuhiko and Yuuri ever had.

...U-um... who are you?
I'm Natsuhiko.
...Natsu... hiko...?
You're 'Yuuri Kotono', right? Your family just moved in nearby.
...Yeah.
Let's be friends. We live in the same neighborhood, after all.
...Can we?
Huh? Are we not allowed to be friends?
I mean... I'm a ness-purr...
A ness-purr? Oh, you mean a Communicator?
Y-yeah...
I see. So?
Huh...? I might end up reading people's feelings, you know? You're not scared...?
Well, no, not really. Anyway, hey, let's go play together!
Ah... Mmm... thank you...
Heheh.

--Though they weren't quite sure what they could play with just the two of them. They started off only playing simple games like hoop hopscotch and S-ken.

Tips posted:

TIP: S-ken
Category: Nonfiction

A children's game where two teams compete to steal the treasure from the other team's side. The name of the game varies by locality, as it is sometimes known by other names such as Letter-S, Letter-8, and S-battle. In preparation for play, a large letter S is first drawn on the ground and each team takes one of the interior circles enclosed by the S. An object is placed in each side as a ''treasure'' and the game starts. Players hop on one foot to the other team's side to steal the treasure without crossing the letter S. If a player touches the ground with both feet, they're out. The basic rules to the game can be easily appended to. For example, the players can be ''birds'' that can only rest both feet on the ground when they reach the circles of ''land'' enclosed by the S. The S can be replaced with a Z, reducing the defensive capabilities of both sides to make an all-out war. Or the S can be doubled up to tighten defense instead and create a war of attrition. The treasure can be omitted and the goal of the game then becomes total genocide of the other team. Gameplay varies widely depending on the locality.

But just hopping up and down on the lawn brought a smile to Yuuri's face.

Whew~... You're pretty good at this, Yuuri.
That's not true~ you're a lot better than me at these games, Natsuhiko.
But it really gets you tired, huh. Let's take a break.
Yeah!

The two of them sat down together on the grass. Natsuhiko took a deep breath and asked Yuuri a question.

By the way, Yuuri, why'd you move to this town?
Hmm... Daddy said it'd be best for me...
Huh?
He said there are tons of ness-purrs in Rokumei City. He said I wouldn't be creepy here.

That reminded Natsuhiko. His mother had told him that this town had far more Communicators than other towns.

That's true. I apparently have the 'attitude' for it, too.
Huh? N-Natsuhiko, are you a Communicator too?
Yeah, 'parently. I can't use telepathy yet, though.
I see... actually, me neither.
Ahah, we're the same then.

Natsuhiko laughed. Yuuri smiled in reply.

And besides, it's not just me. This girl I know, Mashiro, she's one too. She has super high 'attitude' too. There's lotsa Communicators in this town. So much they're nothing out of the ordinary. So you're not gonna creep anyone out, okay Yuuri?
Not even you, Natsuhiko?
Of course not.
Promise?
I promise, okay? You're such a worrywart, Yuuri.

Natsuhiko smiled and Yuuri smiled back in return.

Thank goodness~... I was actually super nervous.
Huh, what for?
I was worried I couldn't make friends after moving. I didn't think that I could.
But we're friends already, aren't we?
Yup!
Lotsa kids come to this park. If you come here, you'll make lotsa other friends, too.
Thank you. I'll come here lots! After all, I made friends with you my first time here...

Yuuri said only that much before suddenly making a face as if she had suddenly remembered something.

Ah, that reminds me...
Hmm?
Natsuhiko, why did you call out to me? You've never met me before... and I'm a girl, too.
Huh~? Hmm, well...
Well...?
Just 'cause!
Huh~? Just 'cause?

Yuuri seemed a little disappointed.

That's why he called out to her. Because he wanted to be there for her--