Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Last time in the pit, we barely made it through B-rank. But now things are different.

We have the Monstars. We have a crew of Sturdy Men.

These guys ain't nowhere near the Drag Queens from rank B in difficulty. Not much is, really.

The Monstars only know one mode: beating. All this team has is a variety of physicals. Steropes can crit sometimes, and Skeledoid hits or hits harder and can do so twice a turn.

He's betrayed us.

Only solution is killing. The great sabrecat's Mercurial Thrusts are annoying but otherwise the team is no big deal to our sturdy men.

A bomboulder is concerning.

Um, but I'm already a tramp?!?!?!

Steropes took too many cats to the face. Oh well. Don't need him.

The enemy's zombie gladiator casts Kasap sometimes. It doesn't matter. Defense decrease is too slow compared to dealing more damage.

Thanks Skeledoid. There's no chance of a Kerplunk or Kamikaze now.

Especially since he soon puts it away.

It's fine, I have this in a bag.

After all, who can beat Talos in a damage race?

Second strongest lance in the game at 100 attack, and it heals Eight for 10% of the damage he deals on regular physicals.

"When we have first met, it was just by chance. But now... now I know, it was meant to be! You believe in me, and you give your best shooting, ay! Now look at what the passion and the GUSTO have become!"

I may have let it drop one or two times but yes there is a rank beyond A and it is the ultimate monster team challenge.

"In rounds one and two of Rank S, you will fight against the two strongest monster teams I ever see."

He's serious about it.

Very serious.

"I'll take Jessica's."

Might as well dive right back in and see what this final rank is about.

Let's just use the same team again, NBD.

Taloon is a character from DQ4. His powers were merchant tricks and analyzing items. He wants to open a weapon shop.

He'll be opening a cemetary soon.

The mimic king (geddit) is the only danger because of its crit rate.

The Cannibox and Jewel Bag don't really do much.

The mimic king is open to sleep, so it's doomed.

Ragnar is also from DQ4. He's a soldier whose investigation into kindapped children leads him into the larger plot. He's best friends with the heal slime Healie.

He'll be mourning that friend soon.

Our damage output is way too much for the dullahan.

But the enemy's gigantes is basically the same as Steropes, complete with critting our poo poo.

Healie casts midheal, a mere 80 HP, so Ragnar is already a monster down before the fight even stars.

It still takes a little bonking to get him to shut up, though.

Round 3 Intro

"Our champion has obtained every rank in existence. That is why we've created a very new one... RA~NK S!"

"This is it! The creme de la creme! The battle royale! The mother of all monster arena contests!"

Oh gently caress, Morrie's team's legit as poo poo.

So Morrie's liquid metal slime is just as resilient as the random encounter ones, and chipping away is not viable because the cureslime will just bring it back up. Steropes can crit it away, and that's what we're hoping for.

It casts Kasizzle which hurts as ever. The Zombie Gladiator can use paralyzing breath in addition to two physicals around, and the cureslime, of course, cures.

With Steropes failing to crit and Skeledoid already returned to the earth, Morrie's got this one in the bag.

Winning in S with this team is hoping the first two rounds don't do too many desperate attacks and Steropes lands one on the LMS very quickly. This team can do it, just off of how burly they are, but I'd rather find some even wackier monsters first.

We're back at Baccarat (backarat?) because though the game is pointing us towards the north of Arcadia, something's changed here. The people have been informed of Golding's death.

His two adopted children are feuding over his inheritence. Let's get involved!

Hey it's our buddy who was constantly one step behind! Let's tell him the good news.

Finally, recognition! Let's go bother the kids and

Cash and Carrie

I forgot how little I like them.

"We're both orphans, remember!? Dad took us in when we were still babies! That means we don't know who's actually older! For all you know I could be your older sister!"

Either of them.

"Like, how many times do we have to go over this? We do the contest. The winner inherits the Golding family's fortune. End of story. Wait, don't tell me!"

Well I'm for one eager to go to a place with a name like that.

"As if! Don't be more of a jerk than usual, Cash!"

"Hello, there! Please forgive our manners. Welcome to the Golding mansion!"

There's a built-in excuse for Eight to get in the middle of this. How handy!

"Glad to hear it! Park yourselves on the sofa and I'll fill you in on the situation."

"Maybe 'arguing' is a better term. My sister and I are like oil and water. We never agree on anything."
"That's why we've decided to have a trial. A contest, basically. Whoever completes it and returns to town first will be declared the winner."
"The trial itself is a Golding family tradition. It's like a test of a potential heir's worthiness."

"Not! The Dragon Graveyard is full of monsters! We could even die, you know? So we've agreed to hire bodyguards to protect us during the competition."
"The only thing is, we haven't been able to find bodyguards of the right calibre. But I've got a good feeling about you travellers. What do you say, little sister?"
"I hate to say it, but I agree. Wow, this is a first."

"The loser will use bodyguards picked from the mansion staff. Won't you, Carrie?"
"Whatever. You're going down either way, Cash."
"Sure, sis, sure. Oh, and one more thing. You'll be compensated regardless of who wins. So don't worry about pay."

The dark secret is, this choice doesn't really matter. You get to go with the annoying one, or the annoying one. Wow!

"Glad to hear it! We head for the Dragon Graveyard at dawn tomorrow. I'd like you to tay here tonight, as my honoured guests. Remember, we leave bright and early tomorrow morning. So don't sleep in!"

"I cannot believe you chose him over me. Your loss."

Carrie rings the bell sitting on the desk.

"Prepare a feast for our guests tonight! They look starved. The least we can do is give them a meal to prepare for the big day tomorrow. Right?"
"Carrie, are you actually being considerate? This is a first! Well, we'll be on traveller's rations until we're back from the trial. I guess a banquet isn't a bad way to begin the journey!"

"Diamond! First Ascantha an' now this! We're on a banquet roll!"
"King Trode's going to miss out again, though."
"Well, wot 'e don't know won't 'urt 'im!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 19, 2017