Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

PHANTOM: 09/12/2030, 10:05

♪ BGM: Foolishness

Mashiro started to talk as a way of actively ignoring the noise.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

Yeah, that's a first for parapsychology.
But it was kind of odd, wasn't it~? If it's all true, that means the world I see and the world you see could actually be completely different, doesn't it?
Hmm, does it?
Visual and auditory hallucinations are an obvious example of how 'different people perceive things differently', right? Some people see things others don't see, or hear things other people don't hear.
Yeah, that's true...

Visual and auditory hallucinations are a category of brain activity. So if those activities vary from person to person, then so too does perception. Eight billion people in the world have eight billion brains, each perceiving eight billion different worlds. Each of them perceives their own world as ''the'' world, but that world of theirs can perhaps at times become distorted.

(... That's kind of a scary thought.)

For some reason, Natsuhiko felt a chill.

So I guess in a certain sense, telepathy is a way to 'intentionally cause auditory hallucinations', then.
Well, there's a peculiarity to the way it sounds, so you can tell it's telepathy, though.
It'd be annoying if that weren't the case. You'd lose track of what's a real voice, what's an auditory hallucination, and what's telepathy.
If that were the case, though, would there be some concrete way of figuring out if something were a real voice or not?

Mashiro casually remarked-- and suddenly got a response from behind.

???: No, there wouldn't.
!?

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

Hmm, you can't think of a way either, Salyu?
I can't because it doesn't exist. It's just as difficult as attempting to differentiate a real voice from an auditory hallucination.
Huh, really?
The brain at times believes that hallucinations are real. What do you think happens then?

Salyu switched her glance from Mashiro to Natsuhiko.

Huh...? (What happens if you think that hallucinations are real?) What would happen...? I really don't know. Wouldn't a hallucination still be a hallucination, though? Wouldn't you feel fear if you heard or saw something out of the ordinary...?
No.

The air seemed to creak the moment Salyu cut in.

The moment the brain decides to believe it, the person hallucinating fully accepts it as the truth. Since the hallucination 'exists' to that person, they feel no fear nor doubt.
Even though it's a hallucination...?
Even though it's a hallucination.

A flustered Mashiro cut in after Salyu's firm assertion.

H-hey, Salyu... what's this all of a sudden?
Weren't you the one who started this conversation?

Salyu responded vaguely to Mashiro and continued.

An example-- In 1857, there was an inventor in the French commune of Wissembourg who was trying to create a telephone. It was said to be technically impossible at the time. But he still stepped up to the challenge. Twelve years and many hardships passed, and then the inventor finally succeeded-- or at least he thought he did.
The inventor -thought- he did...?
He gathered all the people for a grand unveiling of the telephone's debut. He installed a telephone in the house next door. The neighbor spoke to the inventor through the receiver and said 'Hello, can you hear me?' But at his own house, this is what the inventor heard through the receiver: 'Congratulations! You are a grand inventor!' --The telephone was completely inoperable.

That moment, a chill ran down Natsuhiko's spine.

...That's a spooky story.
In short, it's thought that the voice he heard through the receiver was a type of hallucination. Perhaps the inventor had gone mad. In the end, the inventor never once doubted that he had truly invented the telephone. In 1876, when Graham Bell received the patent on the telephone, the other inventor filed a lawsuit saying his invention had been stolen.

Tips posted:

TIP: Alexander Graham Bell
Category: Nonfiction

A scholar and inventor born in Scotland. He lived from 1847 to 1922. He is the inventor who applied for a patent on the telephone in February 1876 and obtained experimental success the next March. That said, Bell was merely the first to apply for a patent on the telephone. Beginning with American inventor Elisha Gray, whose patent application was turned in only slightly later, several people had invented telephones or similar devices before Bell did.

Italian inventor Antonio Meucci completed a telephone prototype in 1854 (though he lacked the capital to apply for a patent). In Germany, Johann Philipp Reis was said to have completed a telephone prototype in 1860.

No way... He was that deluded in his belief?

Natsuhiko was reminded of what Yuuri had told him about ''memories'' last night, but it felt like something was just a little different. But Salyu answered with a nod.

...The brain actively works to rationalize its perceptions and eliminate inconsistencies. This is just an obvious example of that. Depending on the circumstances, the brain will even distort reality. As far as the inventor was concerned, the hallucination was the truth and the real voice was the fabrication. No matter what those around him said, he never once doubted what he thought to be the truth, and so--

Mashiro raised her voice before Salyu could finish.

Salyu!

Natsuhiko gasped. Mashiro's voice was trembling.

Hey, Salyu, please stop... That story's kinda scary.
... ... I didn't mean to scare you.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

Ah... no, I'm sorry. Please, forget it.
What's wrong, Mashiro? You don't like scary stories?
Uugh, yeah. I guess I'm not good with those sorts of stories?

Mashiro spoke with a wry smile as she held a finger up to her temple.

That was a pretty good horror story though, Salyu. But if you scare me too much like that, you're gonna make me cry, okay? If you tell stories like that again, I might have to tell on you to Dr. Tenkawa, you hear?
!

A blue branch with Mashiro at 7.

...Roger. I'll be careful.
P-please. For real.

With a pitiful look on her face, Mashiro glanced at Natsuhiko.

...Oh shut up. I'm okay with ghosts and stuff, but I'm terrible with psychological horror.
Well, that's good to know. So, ever heard of this story?
Huh... what story?
There was this experiment in America after World War II meant to test the limits of human madness--

Tips posted:

TIP: Eichmann Test
Category: Nonfiction

In 1960, war criminal Adolf Eichmann was finally captured for the crime of transporting Jewish people to extermination camps during World War II.

However, Eichmann's character as established in court was not that of a madman, but a simple factory foreman who loved his wife and worked hard every day. Exactly what had driven Eichmann to commit such cruel acts...? American psychologist Stanley Milgram strove to find the answer to that question in what is now known as the Eichmann test, or the Milgram experiment.

Milgram first used the pretext of a ''memory experiment'' to call for male test subjects whom he assigned the role of teacher or learner. Next, he put the teacher and the learner in separate rooms and had the teacher ask the learner questions through an intercom. The experimenter instructed the teacher to send stronger and stronger electric shocks to the learner for each incorrectly answered question. Whenever a teacher became hesitant, the experimenter firmly insisted they continue, and thus, for the most part, the teachers calmly ended up administering electric shocks at even fatal voltages...

Since loss of life wasn't a goal in the experiment, though, the test subjects assigned the role of learners were simply planted actors. There were no electric shocks, either. Even so, the results of the experiment were terrifying in their own right because they proved that people's consciousnesses are easily numbed and subjugated in the face of authority.

I-I haven't heard that story, but please stop! I've already got a bad feeling about this!
First, they attached electrodes to the experimental subject and locked them in a room--
I don't want to hear any more!
And then in another room, there was a button you could push to send them an electric shock--
LA LA LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Natsuhiko smirked to see Mashiro plugging her ears.

(Never knew she had such a weak spot... I guess there are some things you don't know about people even after you've been with them for so long.)

Salyu looked on in wonder at Natsuhiko and Mashiro's banter.