Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

OUR FAVORITE THINGS: 09/12/2030, 20:00

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Ahh... that was delicious...
Mm~... My tummy's so full...
...I saw the vastness of space.

Even Salyu spoke incomprehensibly as her eyes drooped.

That's great~ I made a lot of dishes I've never made before, so I was a little worried. 'I learned by imitation, but it turned out great!'

Mashiro tensed her voice as she spoke, causing Salyu to tilt her head in confusion.

Mashiro, sometimes you seem to change the way you talk... Was that supposed to be a male voice?
Ugh, you called me out so calmly. That's kinda embarrassing, you know...?

Natsuhiko thought that if it really were that embarrassing, she should've just not said it at all. Regardless, he joined in the conversation.

Ah, don't mind that. Mashiro just has this habit of quoting lines from manga and anime.
Man, I'm so ashamed. But I can't help it because I love that stuff.
What about you, Salyu? I've heard that manga and anime are popular in France.
True. So what about you, Salyu?
Huh?
Do you have any interest in manga or anime?

They asked even though it didn't look likely. Salyu thought for a second before answering.

I haven't watched or read either, but... I do read novels.
Ah, that's right. You were even reading a book in the classroom, right? What kinds of novels do you like?
Sci—fi.
Sigh fidelity?
Science fiction. I particularly like the ones from the last century.
Huh... didn't think you were into that kinda thing.
Ah, I've read some of those too~ Just the juvenile-ish ones, though.
Like the ones by 'Alice'?
Yeah, she's just about the only author I can talk about.

Mashiro grinned, and after a short second or two, Salyu smiled back.

...You say interesting things.
Hmm? What's that supposed to mean?
It's fun to talk about things you like with other people who like the same thing. Right, Salyu?
...Yeah.
Mmgh, I feel a little left out...

Natsuhiko smiled despite his complaint.

Oh right, Yuuri, are there any sci-fi novels you'd recommend?
Hmm, I don't read that much sci-fi, but... there is one book that I've read several times.
What's that~?
It was a story about 'telepaths' written before the Grand Communicator Discovery.
Oh, I know about that one too.
Me too!

It was a novel written more than half a century ago that still somewhat managed to predict today's society after the appearance of Communicators. Its foresight and detail gave it a second wind in popularity such that almost all kids in Natsuhiko's generation had read it at least once.

Did you know about it, Salyu? It's a Japanese sci-fi novel--

Salyu nodded when Mashiro told her the title.

Of course I know that one. The last chapter was very beautiful.
Speaking of the last chapter, it had a famous quote, didn't it? '-- Lord in heaven, why did you create us telepaths?'

After Yuuri quoted the book in a theatrical tone of voice, Mashiro eventually smiled and took over from where she left off.

'Was it meant as a test for humans and for telepaths, to see if we could reach an understanding?'

And after a short pause, Salyu contributed.

'If that is the case, O Lord...'

And finally, Natsuhiko concluded--

'Then we have failed you.'

And as they took turns reciting such sad lines-- they all smiled at each other.

Hahah... Looks like we finally found a topic we all have in common, huh?
We really got into it, huh. It all just seemed to click.
...We managed to get a reaction out of that.
I guess unlike the quote, we 'succeeded' in understanding each other, huh?

Even Yuuri and Salyu seemed to share in the harmonious conversation. Mashiro sighed in relief to see that. Mashiro seemed like she was trying to mediate Salyu's relationship with not just Natsuhiko, but with Yuuri too. Natsuhiko also tried to help a bit.

Yuuri really likes books. I'm sure she's got tons of recommendations for you if you want to try something besides sci-fi... so what do you think?
Mm, sounds interesting.
Then I'll choose a recommendation and lend it to you, okay?
In that case, since we're doing recommendations and all, maybe I should try a sci-fl novel? What do you recommend?
I don't know if you'd find them interesting, but--

Salyu listed several of her favorite authors and titles.

Okay, I'll try to read some of that. You read some too, Natsuhiko!
Huh? Why me too?
Think of it as a way to understand Salyu. If you know what someone likes, you'll know what's on their minds.
Is that a quote?
Nah, that's just my mantra. I've got several recommendations too, so I'll bring those over to this house for now.
So if I finish those, I'll understand what's on your mind, Mashiro?
Of course, of course. Like my favorite anime, 'Beyond*BEYOND'--

Salyu listened intently to Mashiro's otaku talk. Yuuri smiled as she listened in.

(... That's good. Looks like things are going along swimmingly.)

--He was expecting conflict, but instead, he got a friendly atmosphere filling the room. It looked like his worries about Yuuri's emotional scars were unnecessary, just like Mashiro said. In stark contrast to yesterday, today felt quite comfortable. It was the strange euphoric feeling he had felt earlier when they were coming home from shopping, but--

(... Ah...)

That's when Natsuhiko finally realized the true form of that feeling. Buying ingredients, going home, sharing a delicious dinner, and having a fun conversation afterwards. Those were all things a ''family'' did. Those were things the Tenkawa household had lost long ago, when his father had passed away and his mother became too busy to leave work. Natsuhiko felt like those things had returned. Perhaps all they needed was the addition of a younger child like Salyu.

(... Hahah.)

If you looked at the bigger picture, it almost looked like they were playing house. But Natsuhiko began to feel comfortable with that nonetheless.

(I'm so selfish, aren't I...)

Natsuhiko smiled bitterly at his own change in mentality as he joined in on the conversation.