Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

MINDSEEKER: 09/13/2030, 08:41 - PART 2

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Natsuhiko was about to partner up with Mashiro, but--

Oh wait, that means Salyu's missing a partner.
Can't practice alone... so I'll go sleep.
Hey, you can't do that, Salyu.

Mashiro turned her head and spoke to Ena.

Ms. Ena, can we form a group of three to include Ms. Sannomiya?
Of course. Ah, that's right. I believe you've already mastered telepathy, Ms. Toba, so could you lead Mr. Tenkawa and Ms. Sannomiya for me?
Yes, ma'am, leave it to me!
Good. Please, begin then.

And with that, Ena started to look around the classroom. Mashiro smirked and turned to Natsuhiko and Salyu.

Okay then, let's get things started, guys!
You sure seem enthusiastic... look, I know she said to lead us, but you don't really need to do anything special, right?
What's that, Natsuhiko? Talking back to your senior drill instructor, are we?
S-senior drill instructor?

As Natsuhiko spoke in confusion, Mashiro puffed up her chest in pride.

♪ BGM: Foolishness

I am Gunnery Sergeant Mashiro Toba, your senior BC drill instructor! From now on, the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be 'Sir'. Do you babies understand that?

Those were lines from a famous war movie. Though she did try to tone down the language.

...Mashiro got scary all of a sudden. Why's that?
Just play along and say 'Sir, yes Sir'. That's the only way to please her when she gets like this.
Okay. Sir, yes Sir.
Good, then let's commence training on the double!

Mashiro faced Natsuhiko and Salyu as she spoke.

First, perceive each other's brain waveforms! Even baby Communicators can do it if they try! Now move it!
Sir, yes Sir.

Natsuhiko played along for the time being as he focused on Salyu in front of him.

(This is the only part I'm good at...)

And eventually--

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

This basically only appears for a split second.

Salyu's characteristic brain waveform flickered in the back of Natsuhiko's mind.

(I saw it! It's Type 4!)

It was the waveform of artists and eccentrics. Hers was quite varied from the archetypal characteristic, but he somehow managed to perceive it correctly.

I perceived it. You're a Type 4, Salyu.

Salyu opened her eyes wide as Natsuhiko pointed at the Enneagram.

Is that so? Never knew that.
What about you, Salyu? Did you perceive my waveform?
...Umm, probably. I think it's that one.

Salyu pointed to the upper part of the Enneagram.

Wow Salyu, you really are a quick learner. That's right, I'm a Type 7.

Natsuhiko didn't quite understand why it was his classification, but it was said to be the brain waveform of enthusiastic people.

(Well, I guess predicting personality with brainwaves is kind of like predicting it with blood types. That is, it's not that accurate at all...)

As Natsuhiko pondered, Mashiro spoke with satisfaction.

Today, you people are no longer babies! Today, you are Communicators. You're part of a brotherhood.
Huh, boot camp over already?
Nah, well, it's tiring to keep talking like that, so I just wanted to go back to normal.
That helps a lot.
Now, now, that hurts.

Mashiro laughed out loud before continuing.

Now then, why don't we try actually communicating through telepathy? The trick to telepathy is to concentrate hard with all your mind. So it might be easier to go with something you feel from the bottom of your heart rather than something you don't really mean.
I see. So something I feel from the bottom of my heart, huh...

As Natsuhiko pondered that trick, Salyu tugged on his sleeve.

Natsuhiko, try it.
Okay, then, let's get to it--

Natsuhiko concentrated to the best of his ability.

(... I'm starving. Maybe the rice gruel was too good with helping digestion. I hope class ends soon so we can have lunch already...!)

He intended to send the message that he truly felt from the bottom of his heart. But no matter how desperately he concentrated, Salyu said nothing and her expression didn't change at all.

...So, did you get my telepathy?
Not at all.
I see. I knew it...

He really was bad at BC. The telepathy he used three days ago was looking more and more like some sort of fluke.

Stay patient and take turns practicing. Salyu, you're up next.
Roger.

Salyu put her hand up to her temple.

(Mmgh, she looks serious...)

That was their first time seeing Salyu using BC. Natsuhiko watched in bated breath to see the extent of her ability--

... I'm hungry.

That's the voice he heard. But it wasn't information firing off in his brain, but her natural voice passing through her lips.

...Umm, Salyu? You spoke out loud, you know?
Yes.

Salyu calmly answered Mashiro's question.

A blue branch with Salyu at 4.

Bad? ...Yes, essentially.
I see...

The school naturally attracted students who wanted to become great Communicators. People who were fully aware of how bad they were at BC like Natsuhiko and Salyu were a tiny minority.

...Looks like you're gonna have a tough time from now on.
Your concern is unnecessary. And I don't want to hear it from you. Your ability level's 0 too after all.
Well, yeah, that's true, but...

Natsuhiko looked somewhat daunted.

(Well, Salyu's right. My real motivation is to not make other people worry, but...)

That's when Ena spoke out to them.

Oh my? Ms. Sannomiya, are you not good with BC?
That appears to be the case.
I see... but I heard Ms. Sannomiya had Rank D Aptitude.

Aptitude was, in a sense, a Communicator's talent or latent ability. Rank D Aptitude was fifth from the top. It was the lowest aptitude among students at this school, but--

You should be able to master telepathy depending on how hard you train... so how about it?
...Actually, I have trouble using telepathy. Not only am I bad at BC, but it's also dependent on my physical condition.
Hmm, you not feeling good today?
Yes. When I can't use it, I can't use it at all. Especially during menstruation and such.
Huh!?

♪ BGM: Foolishness

Natsuhiko and the others were taken aback by her abrupt use of that word.

I-I see... well, try not to push yourself, okay?

Ena forced a stiff smile and let them be.

...You know, Salyu. I don't think it's good for you to say stuff like that in the presence of boys.
Really? Okay, I'll be careful.
Yeah, that'd be for the best...

Natsuhiko once again began to think that she really was an odd girl.

So I guess you two are around the same level, huh? In that case, let Gunnery Sergeant Mashiro here show you a textbook example.
Sure, that sounds like it'd be good for Salyu.
Mm, please do.
Okay, then I'll do some practice myself-- and show you guys a bunch of different types of telepathy.

Mashiro took out her parapsychology textbook as she spoke. There were several BC skill training methods written in there. For example, according to the text, the best shortcut to improving telepathy skill was to actually use that ability.

So, starting with Telepathy Improvement Manual Part 15: Transmitting Abstract Thoughts. This is practice for sending thoughts that can't be expressed in words.
Thoughts that can't be expressed in words?
For example, you can send abstract messages that are hard to describe like happy feelings or sad emotions. So with that said, I'll try sending you guys some different emotions through telepathy. Close your eyes and concentrate on receiving them.
Okay.

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

and eventually, Mashiro's voice rang out in their heads.

{Okay, so first I'll start with a calm emotion. First I'll send it to Natsuhiko, and then to Salyu.}

♪ BGM: Helper / Theme of Mashiro

Mm... I feel kinda relaxed.
...I feel all snuggly.
{I know, right? By the way, this is generally how I always feel. Next up is a sad emotion.}

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

*sniff*...
Wh-what... what is this? I want to cry now.
{This is how I felt when I dropped my wallet the other day... It makes me want to cry just sending it to you. Okay, time to pull ourselves back together. Next I'll send you what it feels like to fall in love.}

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

W-w-whoa...! It's so mushy and saccharine... yet so passionate...!
M-Mashiro, is this how you yourself feel when you're in love...?
{Non non. This is what I imagined as I read a romance manga the day before yesterday.}
Wait, what the hell kind of manga did you read to get -this-...?
It feels so adult, and, well, a little erotic, too...
{That's a secret. Though it's true that its content might be a little too mature for Salyu, though.}

And with that, Mashiro's telepathy performance came to a close.

How was it, guys? What do you think of expert level telepathy?
Mm, it felt quite mysterious. I never met such a skilled Communicator back home. That was a first. You're amazing, Mashiro.
Yeah, you're getting better and better at telepathy, huh.
Heheheh, it's all thanks to training. Well, just goes to show how if you train hard enough, you can gain access to communication that only Communicators can use.
Interesting. What else is possible?
Let's see... well, there's stuff like transmitting complex logical thought processes. Okay, so let me look at the text for a little bit... as I send you the value of pi.

As Mashiro said this, a long string of numbers pounded Natsuhiko's brain.

{3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288--}
Uwah, that feels kinda gross!
But I'm pretty sure you can still convey this with normal words.
Well, it's at least a convenience since it takes less time than explaining verbally. But it's most effective to do simple straightforward training like this.

The truth was that outside of her training time with Natsuhiko, Mashiro would work hard at this sort of practice. And as a result, her telepathy precision increased and she became capable of many different types of telepathy applications.

At any rate, it's an extremely interesting ability, so you two should get into it and try hard too! First, let's start with point-blank range transmission to a familiar target.
Sir, yes Sir.

At Mashiro's suggestion, the two of them began telepathy practice a little more seriously than usual. But in the end, before either Natsuhiko or Salyu could successfully send a single message-- --the first hour of class came to an end.

Looks like we've still got a tough journey ahead of us, huh.
Now, now, just take it nice and slow.

As they were having that conversation, Ena addressed the students.

Class, if you've got any questions about today's lecture, feel free to ask! My vast stock of BC knowledge is always ready for open ears!
(Vast stock of BC knowledge, huh? I usually ignore all that, but...)

Feeling just a little bit more open to BC now, Natsuhiko decided to ask a small question for once.

Umm, Professor?
Oh my, Mr. Tenkawa, how rare of you to ask a question~ What is it?
I know you said that more and more BC discoveries have been made in recent years-- But telepathy and stuff existed even before the Grand BC Discovery, right? So how was it all treated back in those days?
I see, that dates back to when I was a child. Hmm, let's see... well, first of all, nobody even considered the possibility that humans could directly conduct brain—brain exchange of 'information' through elementary particles.
I can imagine. That was before we even knew about the true form of 'information', after all.
But it's possible that everyone vaguely perceived the existence of BC itself, though. What had previously been labeled as a person's 'atmosphere' or 'aura' was likely their 'characteristic brain waveform' in actuality.
Huh, so that way of thinking existed back then, too...

Right after Natsuhiko spoke, Salyu cut into the conversation.

Ena. Have non-Communicators ever used telepathy in the past?

Ena was taken aback by a student calling her by just her first name, but she still answered in good humor.

Very good question, Ms. Sannomiya. It's quite rare, but it is possible depending on the situation. For example, there's the so-called 'premonition'-- like that phenomenon when someone dies that causes their family to somehow sense it from far away. What happens is that on the verge of death, survival instincts kick in, giving a temporary surge of brain functionality, which of course, includes the BC receptor as well... The prevailing viewpoint is that the brain then transmits telepathy to the person's family. In other words, it's the person's first and last use of telepathy in their life.
I see. Very interesting.

Mashiro then added even more to the conversation.

So, Ms. Ena? Does that mean that things once considered occult in the past can be explained as a sort of BC?
Exactly. That's what makes parapsychology so interesting. It's afield that scientifically elucidates all kinds of mysterious phenomena. It's no exaggeration to say that with the discovery of BC particles, every sort of occultic phenomena you can think of has become the target of scientific research. In an extreme example, some people are even considering the possibility that 'ghosts' just might be another type of BC.
Huh? Ghosts?
Yes. Remember how I said that people on the verge of death have expressed telepathy even without being Communicators? BC energy created by telepathy starts decaying after it's sent, but it's not like it fades to zero immediately. So in other words, with or without a target, extraordinarily strong BC can remain in place for a while... which means?
Umm, if you go to that person's place of death, you can hear their voice from when they were alive?
Exactly. Like 'curse you~' and such. Furthermore, since BC can also express emotions, the bitterness the person felt at death could accompany their voice.
...That's frightening.
But that also means that the feelings of the dead remain in this world, doesn't it?
It sure is romantic, isn't it, Ms. Toba? But that actually might be the case. If your thoughts, memories, and spirit all exist as energy, then it's only natural for your feelings to remain in the world of the living after death, isn't it?

Ena and Mashiro smiled at each other.

(Geez, these two really like that sort of stuff, don't they...)

As Natsuhiko mulled over the content of their conversation-- Break time came to an end.