Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

THE WOMAN FROM SIRIUS: 09/13/2030, 11:46

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Natsuhiko left the classroom and made the arduous journey through the whirlpool of telepathy.

Geez. Another complete waste of time today...
Agreed.
Now, now. Slow and steady wins the race.
Does it, now...? Well, I do admit that last part of the discussion was kind of interesting.

When Natsuhiko shrugged his shoulders, Salyu tugged at his sleeve and implored him.

More importantly, let's eat already. We don't have infinite lunch time.
True. How about we all eat together on top of the roof?
Then let's go buy food first.

The three of them made their way. They stocked up on baked goods and started heading for the roof. Natsuhiko bought a katsu sandwich and yakisoba bread. Mashiro bought a sandwich, donut, waffle, and pudding. As for Salyu-- She bought seven varieties of bread in total.

Salyu, you sure bought a lot, huh?
...Because I wasn't sure which ones would taste good. So I wanted to try a variety. I definitely did not give into gluttony. Just curious how they taste.
Hmm? Well, okay. Let's leave it at that.

Mashiro and Natsuhiko looked at each other and smiled wryly.

(That's obviously not the case since she kept saying how hungry she was a while ago.)

Perhaps Salyu was ashamed of her own gluttony.

...But you're not one to talk, Mashiro. All you bought was tons of sweet looking foods.
That's true. This girl here can eat a lot more than you'd expect. Would it have hurt to choose between either the donut or the waffle?
Don't worry. My body's built to not get fat no matter how much I eat.

As they were having that conversation, they reached a turn in the hallway, when suddenly--

Whagh!

♪ BGM: Challenger / Theme of Jun

Mashiro ended up tumbling down. She apparently ran into a woman on the other side of the turn.

Ow ow ow...
Oh boy. You okay?

The woman that bumped into Mashiro reached out her hand.

My bad, my bad. I wasn't looking. Can you stand?
Ah, yes, I'm fine. I wasn't looking where I was going eith-- wait, huh?

Mashiro exclaimed in surprise as she got up.

Aren't you...?
Hmm? Have we met somewhere?
Mashiro, do you know her?
We were all at the scene of that accident! Remember?

Those words jogged Natsuhiko's memory.

Ah, so you must be...!

--The rescue worker that responded to the traffic accident three days ago.

(That's her...)

Ah! You're the kids who reported that accident, aren't you?
Huh? You remember!? I'm touched!
Hmm? Touched?
The first time I saw your rescue work in action, I became an instant fan~! You were so awesome!
Ahahah, it's not that big a deal. I was only assigned to the squad last month.
Is that so?
But still, that's all the more awesome! Just a short time after you got assigned, you're already doing dramatic rescues!

The worker blushed as Mashiro showered her with praise.

...Hahah. It's not like I do it for the praise, but I really do appreciate it.

Seeing that smile gave Natsuhiko an impression.

(I see. Guess she genuinely likes helping people out...)

He thought it made her a noble person, but it also made him feel like a commoner in comparison. But Mashiro on the other hand seemed to take a liking to her. She cheerfully introduced herself.

Ah, I'm Mashiro Toba. And these are my friends--
Hi. I'm Natsuhiko Tenkawa.
...Louise Yui Sannomiya.
Huh, oh, you're half-Japanese? Guess I should've expected the fabled Rokumei Academy to be international to boot. By the way, I'm Jun Moribe. Call me Jun.
Okay. Nice to meet you, Jun!
Still, I didn't expect them to send in a rescue team for an accident like that.
Yeah, you're right... Don't you usually mobilize for more large-scale disasters?
Well, thing is, we just happened to be deployed on a different case nearby that day. We got contacted on our way back, so we rushed over there. Being on a rescue squad means going from mission to mission. It ain't no cakewalk, that's for sure.
Sounds tough...
Nah, but still, I'm doing this because I like it.
But, Jun... what made you decide to enlist in a rescue squad to begin with? I think it must be super tough for a girl to be a rescue squad member.
Hmmm~...

Jun pondered that question for a moment before answering.

...Don't laugh, but... I guess it's because I wanted to be a hero.

A blue branch with Mashiro at 6.

Yeah, I've always looked up to them ever since I was a kid~

Natsuhiko found himself intrigued by her words.

(Someone's actually living my childhood dream...?)

Natsuhiko himself had wished to be that sort of person at one point. And so did Mashiro--

I know exactly what you mean! When I was a kid, I too swore to myself that I would protect this town I so dearly love!

Tips posted:

TIP: BeyoBEYO/Episode 3 Commentary
Category: Fiction

''I swore upon my heart to protect this town I love and the gentle hearts of all the people I love. And I swear I'll defeat Nobody...''

The secret society Nobody plots for world domination using the dark psychic power ''darkloid telepathy'' to manipulate people's minds. Kirara uses telepathy in a sincere entreaty to those who have lost themselves to the amplified malice. What ultimately allows the people to regain their calm minds is the knowledge that their thankless good deeds had not gone unnoticed by the gentle girl. There are things that cannot be done with psychic powers alone. And at the same time, there are things that can be done because of psychic powers. A famous scene detailing both hope and the limits of psychic powers.

--Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND
Official Guidebook

When she heard of Jun's desire to become a rescue worker out of admiration for the heroes that save people rather than the heroines who need to be saved, Mashiro approved, saying ''When I was a kid, I too swore to myself that I would protect this town I so dearly love!'' Though she spoke of it as if it were in the past, the passion to be a hero that saves people was still burning within her heart. That passion should be apparent judging by what she did later.

Ahahah, you've got promise, I'll tell ya that. Once you graduate from here, you should enlist in a firefighter academy.
But that's kinda rare, isn't it? A girl wanting to become a hero instead of a heroine.
Well, to be honest, ever since I was a kid, I've been something of a tomboy. I always wanted to be the 'hero' who saves people instead of the 'heroine' who needs to be saved. So I thought if I wanted to be a real-life hero, I guess a rescue worker would be the closest thing. It's kinda tough to define what exactly a hero is, but saving people's lives is pretty drat heroic, I'd say.
Yeah, I think so too! There's nothing more valuable than the treasure of life!
Oh, you're such a good girl~ There, there.

Mashiro smiled as Jun patted her on the head.

(These two kinda seem like they're on the same wavelength...)

If nothing else, both Jun and Mashiro seemed to enjoy helping people. As Natsuhiko pondered the similarity, Jun continued.

Well, to be honest, pretty much everyone who joins Sirius is kinda like that, I guess? The pay's low and the job's hard, and yet there's no end to those who want to join nonetheless.
Now that I think about it, there was another female member, wasn't there?
Yeah, that's our lieutenant. And she's amazing! No matter how dangerous the situation is, she calmly leaps in and gets the job done flawlessly! She's a perfect woman!
Mmm! That's cool too...!
If the lieutenant's like that, then what's the captain like?
Oh, the captain? The captain's a little, uh~...

Jun made a slightly bitter face at that thought.

A-a little what? Wait... don't tell me there's something wrong with him?
Ah, no, not at all! He's a super elite too, but... He's just a little bit -too- cool-headed for me. Kinda dry, too...

Even Natsuhiko and Mashiro could tell she was struggling to find the right words.

(Does his personality clash with Jun's, maybe...?)

As soon as he pondered that possibility, Jun looked at her watch and spoke up.

Whoa, would you look at the time.
Oh, were you busy?
Actually, I came here here for work. To give some disaster prevention guidance, see.
O-oh, is that so? I'm sorry for taking up your time!

A yellow branch with Mashiro at 6. This lets us into the next friendship scene for her.

Welp, don't hesitate to call if something happens. Later~

And with that, Jun waved her hand and left. Mashiro muttered as she watched her leave.

Haah~ she was sooo cool~!

Mashiro's face lit up in admiration. Natsuhiko reflected on the conversation Jun and Mashiro just had.

(... ''There's nothing more valuable than the treasure of life'', huh. Now that I think about it, I might have said something like that long ago...)

How long ago was the question. As if unlocked by the heat of the moment, another door in Natsuhiko's memories opened wide--