Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

INCIDENT: 09/14/2030, 12:31

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

So to prepare for afternoon classes, Natsuhiko b0ught some bread and ate it in the classroom. He and Salyu spoke sparingly.

...That sandwich good?
It's okay.
I see...

Without Mashiro as their mood maker, conversation just wasn't happening between them.

(I never thought this would be how I'd learn how much of a blessing it was to have Mashiro around...)

The moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind-- An announcement came streaming out of a speaker affixed to the classroom wall.

Male Teacher: ...Th-this is an emergency broadcast. We've just received a report that a dangerous object was set inside school grounds...! Students, please remain calm and follow faculty instructions. Please evacuate to the schoolyard for now.
--!?

Natsuhiko gasped. And the whole class stirred in unrest.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Male Student 1: A dangerous object!? For real!?
Male Student 2: N-no way... could this possibly have something to do with the commotion they've been talking about on the news...?
Female Student 1: No! What the heck!? Why are they targeting our school!?

The students' agitation created a positive feedback loop, quickly turning the classroom into a turbulent echo chamber.

A dangerous object...? Like what...!?
If they need to evacuate the students, then I assume it's either an explosive or a gas bomb.
A bo...!

Natsuhiko choked on his words.

(No way... You mean Mashiro was right?)

The moment Natsuhiko considered that possibility, Ena came rushing into the classroom.

Her voice was more forceful, her expression colder than usual.

Life is long, so pipe down and listen up for now! First, everyone take your seats!

The students sat in their seats as instructed. Ena quickly scanned the classroom for empty seats.

...Okay, so that's everyone with the exception of Ms. Toba. So now we begin evacuation. Line up in seat order and follow me!

The students muttered amongst themselves as they nervously stood up.

(At the very least, it looks like they're serious about the dangerous object... Then assuming there really is a terrorist or whatever... what if Mashiro went to search for them and actually ran into them...? Impossible. Such a stupid coincidence could never happen!)

But despite his rejection of the idea, he couldn't shake off the anxiety he felt. Without thinking, Natsuhiko suddenly stopped in his tracks.

...? What's wrong, Mr. Tenkawa? Get in the evacuation line.
O-okay...

As he answered-- Natsuhiko heard a voice in his ear.

{But Hikorin, you might regret not doing anything.}

Natsuhiko gasped at those words. They were the words Yuuri had said this morning. And one second later, Natsuhiko opened his mouth--

...No, Professor.

--and out came words he had never expected to say.

I'm sorry, but may I leave early?
Huh!?

Ena, and even Salyu opened their eyes in surprise.

Natsuhiko?
Wh—what are you talking about!? Let's just evacuate first!
Um... yeah, I guess that would make sense... But I'm worried about Mashiro’s safety.

It was something that the usual Natsuhiko would never say.

I'm really sorry, but I'm leaving.
Huh? Ah! Hey! Wait!

He heard Ena, but chose to ignore her. He flew out of the classroom to find Mashiro.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Thanks to that, he could search outside without needing an umbrella.

So for now, he just took out his PDA and tried to call her, but--

Dammit, it won't connect!

It was ringing, but Mashiro wouldn't pick up.

(Is she still mad about yesterday?)

He was fine with it if she wouldn't pick up. If she -couldn't- pick up due to injury or other danger, that would be a different story, though.

(Oh well, I guess I'll go look on foot...)

The moment he made that decision, he heard Salyu's voice from behind.

Natsuhiko, what are you trying to do?

Because you suddenly ran off. More importantly, why didn't you evacuate as you were told?
It should be obvious. I'm looking for Mashiro.
For Mashiro? Why?
Actually, last night, she--

Natsuhiko gave a simple explanation for what happened last night.

--Terrorists. That's...
Well, I think she's somehow mistaken, but for now, yeah, that's what we're going with.
But if that's true, then there could be danger involved. In which case, I need to protect you.
I see...

Actually, he didn't see. As always, he didn't quite understand her, but there was no time for discussion.

Okay, then let's search together.
Roger. Any guesses where Mashiro went?
None. But we need to start searching regardless.

And with that, the two of them ran into the rain.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 31, 2017