Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FAR BEYOND: 09/14/2030, 13:14

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

How do you suppose we search for one girl in a town this big?
Have you tried calling her?
Yeah. But she wouldn't pick up.

Salyu pondered for a second before coming up with an answer.

If you can't reach her by phone, then how about using telepathy?
Huh!?
When we first met at the scene of that accident, you used powerful telepathy. Can't you use that to contact Mashiro without having to know where she is?
...Telepathy, huh.

According to Ukita, Natsuhiko's telepathy apparently reached as far as a kilometer away. And he knew Mashiro's characteristic brain waveform quite well after all the practice they had done. But Natsuhiko had never consciously used telepathy on his own.

Can I do it...?
Mashiro said that the trick to using telepathy was to focus on the words you want to convey from the bottom of your heart. It might be amateurish thinking on my part, but I think you can do it now that you're sincerely worried about Mashiro.
Yeah... maybe I can. Okay, got it! I'll give it a try!

Natsuhiko resolved himself and placed a finger to his temple. It was the same basic stance Mashiro had used to facilitate telepathy.

Okay. I'll cheer you on. Go for it, Natsuhiko.
Sorry, please be quiet for a second. I need to concentrate.
...Okay.

Salyu fell silent. In the midst of the soft sound of the pouring rain, Natsuhiko concentrated with all his mind. He couldn't dare use mass untargeted telepathy. He absolutely needed to make sure his message had directionality.

(--First I need to make myself keenly aware of Mashiro's characteristic brain waveform.)

A blue branch with Mashiro at 6 and Natsuhiko at 3.

The waveform associated with gentle people who try their hardest to help others. He thought of her and focused hard on the words he wanted to tell her. ''--Mashiro, where are you? Why won't you pick up? Salyu and I are worried. Contact us if you're okay.''

Though it was embarrassing to put it into words, it was indeed true that he was concerned about her. That concern intensified in his heart. ''--Can you hear me, Mashiro? Didn't I tell you before not to make me worry so much...?''

As he finished wringing out those thoughts, suddenly--

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

The surrounding sound of the rain disappeared.

(...?)

For a second, he thought the rain had stopped. But that wasn't it. The rain was still falling. He merely stopped hearing the rain because his five senses had dampened.

A strange sixth sense beyond his usual five.

(Wh... what's going on? It's like I can feel my own brain cranking...!)

The world was full to the brim with BC particles. And Natsuhiko felt as if he could sense their very movement through his brain.

(... This...! This is BC!?)

Natsuhiko concentrated even further. He focused on the complex, minute electrical signals that formed his desired message.

{--Mashiro, where are you!? Contact me!}

The message loaded onto the BC particles in his brain and were expelled out into the world--!

----
--

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Eventually, he snapped back to reality once he heard Salyu's voice.

Huh... what happened?
You suddenly turned pale and surprised me. Are you okay?
Y—yeah, probably.

Now that he thought about it, he remembered what Ena had said. ''BC use can cause the five senses to dampen, and in certain cases, even vital signs like body temperature and pulse can drop.'' That said, he hadn't heard a thing about complete hearing loss or turning pale. Perhaps those were side effects of the extreme concentration.

Well, I guess if I was able to concentrate that hard, maybe it actually did reach Mashiro...

That would be assuming Mashiro was currently less than a kilometer away from them. With that thought in mind, they waited for a little while, but still did not receive any contact from her.

...Maybe it failed.

Once that utterance eventually left his lips-- An electronic sound chimed from within Natsuhiko's pocket.

What's that?
An e-mail!

Natsuhiko took out his PDA and opened his e-mail. The display showed the following response:

The White Tiger Gate...? Why would she be at a place like that?

Natsuhiko cocked his head after he finished reading the e-mail.

What's that?
It's a city gate on the west side of town.

Tips posted:

TIP: City gates
Category: Fiction

The six main roads running through Rokumei City from the outside are all installed with inspection gates. The six gates:

Black Tortoise Gate (North)
Azure Dragon Gate (East)
White Tiger Gate (West)
Vermilion Bird Gate (West)
Rural Gate (Southeast)
Research Gate (Southwest)

The four cardinal gates are named after the four celestial guardians of Chinese mythology. Land incorporating all four guardians is said to be the ideal from a feng shui perspective. One famous city in Japan constructed with the four celestial guardians of the four cardinal points in mind is ancient Kyoto. According to the Nihon Kiryaku, Emperor Kanmu established ancient Kyoto as the capital as he saw the land as a suitable gathering spot for people from all four cardinal directions. The reason Rokumei City's gates include the four guardians is thought to be a means to parallel Emperor Kanmu's words as Rokumei City was established as a gathering spot for Communicators from all corners of the nation.

That said, the almost military-grade security cameras and tall fences bordering the city today make it not the most warmly welcoming of gathering spots. The only way to circumvent the fences would be to go through the tunnels underneath them, but even those tunnels are equipped with bulkheads, making the city a something of a landlocked island. Furthermore, if the bulkheads are forced open, a system is in place to automatically alert the police and the security department. Therefore, even if any intruders broke through by force, they'd be surrounded within minutes.

The existences of Rokumei City and the other government designated top secret cities are not exactly hidden in the same way as Pripyat was, but at the same time, ordinary citizens are not allowed to enter or leave without considerable business. As far as ordinary citizens living on the outside are concerned, these cities might as well not exist.

Rokumei City was surrounded by a fence in order to maintain public security. But obviously, there were entrances in the fence. There were six city gates in total, and the White Tiger Gate was one of them.

Looks like it...

The White Tiger Gate was about 2 km away from where they were. An effective range of 2 km made his latest use of telepathy even more far-reaching than what he did at the scene of the accident. It was hard to believe all of a sudden, but if Mashiro said she heard it, then it was probably true.

So, what do we do? Mashiro's saying she'll go to school once she's done with her business, so should we meet her there?
...No. Let's go to her. I want to know what exactly this business of hers is.
Roger. I'll accompany you.

It was not a distance that was impossible to run. So Natsuhiko and Salyu began running towards the city gate.