Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

GATE: 09/14/2030, 13:42

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

It was something of an inspection booth established on the main road that connected the city to the outside world. A guard was stationed at a box nearby. All people wishing to leave or enter the city were required to go through the proper paperwork beforehand. Then once at the gate, passage required proof of citizenship and a strict security check. The gates were thus seen as something of a status symbol befitting of a ''government designated top secret city''. As they got close, Salyu muttered.

Kind of an off-putting place...
Oh, you think so?
It almost gives the impression that the whole city is locked down.
Hmm... You're just reading too much into it.

The city was obviously not a prison. It was a little bit of a hassle, but normal citizens were certainly able to leave and enter the city. The gates and fence were actually dependable blessings since they served to blockade suspicious characters from entering the city.

Well, I guess it's not somewhere you'd like to stay too long. Let's find Mashiro quick and head back.
Mmm.

And with that, they looked around and found her soon enough. She was at a bus stop near the gate, seemingly waiting for a bus. She hadn't noticed them. They rushed up to her and called out.

Hey! What are you doing skipping school, Mashiro!?

Of course we did. You had us worried.
H-hmph. It's not like I asked you to come.
What?

A blue branch with Mashiro at 6 and Natsuhiko at 3.

'The terrorist investigation case is under my jurisdiction, boys. Hands off.' That sort of thing.

Mashiro still seemed to be mad about yesterday after all. Natsuhiko didn't understand what rubbed her the wrong way, but he did know that once she got like this, it was hard to get her to stop.

She probably had her own reason for being mad. But Natsuhiko laid off on that subject as he piled on the questions.

...Okay. That's fine for now. I admit I wasn't very receptive of you yesterday. But why are you searching for them yourself? Didn't I tell you to send a report to the police or the security department?
And I did, of course! Last night! But neither of them would take me seriously at all!

Natsuhiko thought that was the obvious response, but didn't say anything.

But then why are you alone at a place like this?
Well, since I couldn't count on the police or the security department either... I decided I had no choice but to go around the six city gates myself. I've been asking all the guards if they've seen any terrorist-y kind of people.
That's kind of straightforward... so, any results?
This is the sixth gate I've been to, but they've all told me that nobody with a suspicious background has come in or out...
I'd imagine.

It was unthinkable that terrorists could infiltrate this city that easily.

But optimism like that is the greatest danger. Mr. Ukita also said that there've been more people who hate Communicators in the city lately, remember? So you might not be an entirely unrelated party in all of this, Natsuhiko.
Well, that may be true, but... Don't you think there's quite a logical leap to get from what Mr. Ukita said to conclude that there must be terrorists around and whatnot?

Mashiro fell silent in mortification. But that's when Salyu cut in.

No, it really might be best not to be so optimistic. There was that dangerous object that was set at school today, after all.
Dangerous object!? What's that all about!?
Ah, well, at lunch break there was this announcement...--

As soon as Natsuhiko finished explaining what happened...

There was a bomb!? At school...!?
Well, no, we don't know for sure if it was a -bomb-.
Just making a guess based off of what the announcement said.
But it very well could be a bomb! Let's go back to school for now, you two!
That's what we were planning to do in the first place.

And right on cue, the bus arrived. The three of them boarded and headed for school.