Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

GUARD: 09/14/2030, 17:15

Every hair on Natsuhiko's body stood on end.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

He looked to see a brawny man entering the room from the window.

Security Guard: Hey! What do you kids think you're doing!?

His outfit suggested he was a security guard for the facility. He seemed to have spotted the kids from the outside while he was patrolling around and shouted out to them. Natsuhiko was somewhat relieved and spoke to the security guard.

We're sorry. We heard that this facility was possibly being targeted by terrorists, so we came here to inform you.
Security Guard: Terrorists...?

The security guard stiffened at that word.

Security Guard: Where did you hear that?
Oh, uh...

It was doubtful that the security guard would believe Natsuhiko even if he told the truth. Natsuhiko thought for a second before answering.

We heard that rumor from a friend.
Th-that's right. Recently, terrorists have been dispersing objectionable literature around the city...
And it looks like they're targeting BC-related facilities. So we believe this place could be in danger, too.
Security Guard: I see, I see... Then allow me to get -all- the details out of you kids.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Ow... what gives!?
Security Guard: Sorry, but please come with me to the security room.

The security guard spoke in a stifled voice. And as soon as he heard that, Natsuhiko became suspicious.

(What...!?)

The three of them were well-intentioned whistleblowers. And yet the security guard was training his discerning eye onto Natsuhiko--

(It's like he's looking at a culprit!)

Taken aback, Natsuhiko shook his hand out of the security guards grip.

H-hey, what do you mean 'come to the security room'!?
Security Guards: Well, I've heard that unrest has been spreading through this whole town lately. So we need to strengthen our guard here.

The security guard drew even closer to Natsuhiko.

H-hey, quit it! You're hurting Natsuhiko, aren't you!?
Yes. You should stop resorting to violence.
Security Guard: Violence!? I'm just trying to get you kids to talk! You're the ones who trespassed in the first place! You've got no place to talk back to an adult like that!

The security guard shouted. Natsuhiko stood between him and the girls, but then--

I thought I told you to stop.

Salyu spoke up. For perhaps the first time, they heard anger mixed in with her calm voice.

Security Guard: ... What!?

By the time the security guard spoke, Salyu had already sprung into action.

Security Guard: !

She rushed over to him and grabbed his hand. And as if in an elegant dance, she wrapped herself behind him, and then--

Security Guard: Whagh!?

--the security guards large body flew through the air.

Security Guard: Gah!

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

For a second, Mashiro and Natsuhiko could not comprehend what had just happened. The security guard had struck the floor and passed out, the whites showing in his rolled-back eyes.

Huh...? Salyu, did you just throw him?
Yes.

As an aside, Salyu is the best character.

Natsuhiko was speechless.

(How could such a small girl hurl a grown man like that...?)

Salyu not only excelled in wisdom and physical ability, but she was also well-versed in the martial arts, apparently.

Th-that's amazing... was that aikido or something?
Yes. He threatened to harm Natsuhiko, so I snapped and used a martial arts technique.
You snapped, huh... You think we still had a few other options before knocking him out cold?
Mmph... Disappointing. I protected you, Natsuhiko. Why are you mad at me?
Ah. Yeah, that's right. She did it for you, Natsuhiko.
No, I appreciate the thought, but...

Natsuhiko looked down at the security guard sprawled out at his feet.

...will he be okay?
I held back. He didn't hit his head, so he'll wake up eventually.
But there's no denying that he didn't injure us, but we knocked him out... So it looks like it'll be a pain to smooth things over when he wakes up.
...So, think we should run?
That would be best. But no matter what this man may say later, it was justified self-defense.
Y-you think so...?

Spurred on by Natsuhiko's confusion, Salyu spewed a steady stream of words.

I am familiar with Japanese law. Penal Code Article 36 (Self-Defense), Paragraph 1. 'An act unavoidably performed to protect the rights of oneself or any other person against imminent and unlawful infringement is not punishable.' Even if said act is to protect the rights of intruders against the authorities, it is no exception. This man was threatening to infringe on Natsuhiko's rights with violent behavior. So I unavoidably had to throw him once or twice.
N-now that's a well-reasoned argument...
It seems a little forced, though...

But they didn't have any time to discuss law here. All things considered, they technically conveyed the possibility of terrorism here, so they probably fulfilled at least the minimum of their civic duty.

(Hopefully they use this little scuffle here as a reason to increase security and everything will turn out all right in the end...) ...Oh well. Let's get out of here for now. Before things get crazy.
Roger.
Roger!

And with that, they left the room.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

Haaaah~...
D-do you think we managed to escape...?
It's okay. I checked behind as we were running. Nobody followed.

Salyu spoke without breaking a sweat. She didn't just train her muscle strength and martial arts technique, but her lung capacity too, apparently.

Ahh, I haven't run like that in forever... My throat's so dry...
I-I know, right? Hold on a second, I'll go buy some drinks...

Mashiro tottered over to a nearby vending machine. After a while, she came back carrying three bottles in her arms.

Okay, Natsuhiko. Salyu. My treat.

Tips posted:

TIP: Regista Gold
Category: Fiction

An energy drink developed by Betelgeuse New Treatments. Classified as a medical supply.

Its catchphrase is ''A healthy revival!!''.

Perhaps as a way to compete with the existing popular energy drink that holds the majority market share, Regista Gold has the special ingredient of 100000000 mg of taurine for nourishment and eliminating fatigue, thus successfully gaining it a core fanbase of repeat customers. Taurine is all about homeostasis. Homeostasis is the function of bodies and cells to maintain normalcy, and thus taurine is a very important nutrient in mammalian development. While 100000000 mg may be excessive, any excess taurine is safely excreted out of the body through the urine, and is thus harmless to the body.

Furthermore, this excess is what generated its core fanbase, even leading to the formation of Regista Gold communities. Though the product is sold nationwide, places like Tokyo and Sakuranomori make up for 70 to 80 percent of national consumption.

Yes, I know that's 100 kg in a single drink. They probably ment µg, which would be 100g, which is still excessive, but reasonable as far as ''fitting inside a drink'' goes. I can't vouch for the validity of the claims as far as safety goes - it's really hard to find out whether things like this are harmful to you or not, as navigating through studies and websites made by either hyper-all-natural hippies or the people actually making energy drinks is an excercise I do not wish to make. Basically, don't inject yourself with liquid Taurine expecting an energy boost.

Basically, don't get health tips from the game where information consists of an elementary particle and people can use telepathy and mind reading and a 13 year old girl is sending security guards flying through the air and murdering a guy holding a gun and shooting at her by using an axe.

It's an energy drink. It's got an ungodly amount of taurine in it. It's the perfect nutrition replenishment when your body's fatigued.
That sounds like it'll just make you even more thirsty...

Natsuhiko took a gulp despite his complaints.

Anyway... there was something odd about that security guard, wasn't there?
Yeah, I felt so too. He did say that they were tightening security, but did he really have to act that mean about it?
Are all security guards in this city that oppressive?
No, I really don't think so. There must've been some sort of reason.
Do you think that facility actually received a threat letter too?
Or maybe there was something besides that...?

Natsuhiko felt there were several suspicious points about what happened, but he didn't really understand any of them, so he couldn't come up with any guesses.

...It's getting dark.
True. Should we start heading back, guys?
Huh? Already!?
Well, it's only the proper thing to do. We're already doing dangerous things. Working past nightfall will only add to the danger.
Besides, we can't make Yuuri worry, so let's end the investigation here for today.
Ugh... I guess...

Despite Mashiro's words, she still seemed like she wanted to say something else.

It's okay. Tomorrow's a Sunday. So I don't mind joining you again tomorrow if you want.
...I see, you're right!

Mashiro finally smiled and nodded at Natsuhiko's words.