Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Even though we're supposedly sneaking off to play the game, Hajime decides he needs to see what everyone else is doing first. There are a number of people hanging around the hotel right now.

: Huh? Where are you going at this hour? The Monokuma Announcement was just made...
: Well, you know... What about you, what are you doing?
: I was about to go back to my cottage. Anyway, what about you? What do you mean, "you know"?
: Ah, um... I felt a little hungry, so I was thinking about getting a snack from either the restaurant or supermarket...
: ...I see.
: So I'll be going now...see you later.

: Hajime.
: Huh?
: ...Good night. I'll see you tomorrow. *leaves*

I feel like...she totally saw through me...

: Hehehe...
: What's with that laugh...? You sound creepy...
: I can't help myself! I just heard something big!
: Whoa there, I can't give any details yet...but when the time comes...!
: Now then, I'm gonna go to bed already! I'll see you tomorrow! *leaves*

...What was that about?

: Oh, it's you, Hajime... What are you doing up this late?
: W-Well, I felt like stargazing a little bit, so I just came out here for a short walk.
: Ha, I see! There's a lot of nasty things happening on this island, but the nature and scenery is quite superb...
: However, don't be out too late. It might hinder you tomorrow!
: Yeah, I'll make sure I don't stay out too late.

: Hajime. Good timing, there's something I wanted to ask you.
: Me? What is it?
: I wanted to hear your...I mean, a general opinion.
: Huh, is this about what we were discussing earlier?

What were Peko and Nekomaru talking about...?

: Regarding my inquiry... Do Nekomaru and I really look like we're cosplaying as characters from a fighting game?
: ...Huh? Cosplay?
: When I walk down the street, I'm often told I look like a fighter from this game, or a martial artist from that game...

: I can't understand what they're talking about! No matter how you look at it, I'm only a team manager!

No matter how I look at it...that's clearly not true.

: That happens to me, too. One time I was cornered by a strange group of people holding cameras... It was very annoying.
: So what did you do?

: If you don't understand polite requests to stop, it's not my fault if I'm forced to get a little...violent.

...I-I think it's better if I don't know the details.

: But Peko...we must confirm it with Hajime. No matter how others view us, we are ourselves! There is nothing to worry about!
: You're right...I agree.
: ...So anyway, why are you here? What are you doing out so late?
: Well...I couldn't really go to sleep, so I was thinking about going for a little walk...
: I see...be careful then. It doesn't mean anything is going to happen...but you should be careful, just in case.

: Hmph... What business do you have with me, human?
: I apologize, but I have no time to spare for you... Instead, I shall let you in on something interesting.

So does he have time to spare or not? Which is it...?

: Behold, that so-called arcade game. Despite your lowly intellect, you human attempt to create worlds within games, but...
: Fuhahahahaha! How humorous, how pitiful!

: You humans behave like gods in your fictional worlds... That act alone is an imitation of us. Because...
: The reality you humans cling to and believe to be real is merely one of the countless board games we own!
: ...
: Kehehe... What happened? Are you speechless before the truth?

I wasted my time...

: Horribleeee! Ibuki is experiencing such awful Kuma-hara!
: ...Kuma-hara?
: Monokuma's harassment! AKA Kuma-hara! Thanks to Monokuma's announcement, I completely forgot the phrase I thought up!
: Gyaaah! And it was the best phrase of all time, too! It would've filled you with chills! This is a big loss for humanity as well! So you gotta act sadder!
: Um... I'm sorry for your loss...?

: What's with the question mark!?
: Ugh... Not just Kuma-hara, but Haji-hara... Ibuki can't stand n'more! The hara-hara is overwhelming me...
: I'm gonna go pout in bed! *leaves*

...Haji-hara? Does...that mean Hajime's harassment?

: Yo Hajime. You look bored. Wanna fight me?
: What's with you all of a sudden...?
: Hm? There somethin' wrong? Normally when you're bored, you fight, right?

There's no way I'd consider that "normal"!

: I was bored too, but since there's no people to fight, I was checkin' out the cottages of the fallen.
: "The fallen"... Byakuya and Teruteru? Why?
: Well, someone might mess with their rooms if we just leave 'em alone, right?
: Th-There's no way anyone would do something like that!
: But their rooms were locked all tight so I couldn't go in.
: They were locked?

: Yeah, turns out Monokuma locked 'em.
: When I tried to open the door, he just showed up outta nowhere as usual... He was sayin' stuff like...that chapter's already finished so it would complicate the game and...
: H-Hold on! I think it's best if you don't say anything more!
: Oh really? Then I should go to bed soon.
: See ya later, Hajime! *leaves*

: Good ol' fourth-wall-breaking Monokuma. Anyway that's everyone at the hotel so let's get going to the Park.

: What's Mahiru doing out here?

: Ah, Hajime...!
: Mahiru...what are you doing here?
: Ah, yeah...about that... ... Um...I was thinking about taking a picture of the ocean at night.
: The ocean at night...isn't it dangerous? Be careful.
: Yeah, sure thing...bye. *leaves*
: She seemed...pretty agreeable.

Usually she'll say something like, "Mind your own business"...

: Strange...

: We've arrived. Let's get this over with.

: ...So here I am.

If the game turns out to be dangerous, I'll just stop playing it... So I should...just go for it...

: I guess for now...I should try playing it a little.

I cautiously stood in front of the arcade game...and the screen automatically lit up. As I faced the screen, I put my hand on the joystick.

Music fades out.

This game...has a strange, old-fashioned vibe to it. I wonder...is the person who's controlling Monokuma actually pretty old?

: ...Oh well. I should try to start it up. It'll start if I press the START button, right?
: Now then, let's begin Twilight Syndrome Murder Case. Please press the START button with your own hands.

> START

: (Ah, it's already late... I'm gonna be late for our meeting... Everyone's waiting...I gotta hurry and go. If I'm late...everyone's gonna hate me... Um...they're waiting in classroom 1-A...)

: Welcome to Twilight Syndrome Murder Case. We're in control of Girl A here. We can walk...

: And we can run. We can also open doors by pushing Up, though all rooms other than our destination are locked.

: Here's classroom 1-A. Let's go in.

: Man, you're finally here! You're so late! What were you doing!?
: I-I'm sorry...if you're angry, I'm sorry...! U-Um...don't be mad...!
: We're not angry...
: Just hurry up and get over here!
: O-Okay...
: (I should go talk to Girl B for now...)
: We move over to Girl B and talk to her.

: Um...we're here because you had something important to say, right? ...What's this about?
: Obviously, it's about yesterday's incident.

*Girl B turns to face the other three girls*

: Hey, you already saw the newspaper, right?
: Y-Yeah...
: ...Huh? What newspaper?

*Girl B turns to face Girl A again*

: Gawd, you're such a slowpoke, Girl A. It's in today's evening newspaper.

*Girl C runs over*

: This one, here ya go!
: ...Just read it.

"July 8th: At around 6:00 a.m., a janitor from XX Academy came to work and discovered the body of a female high school student in the music room on the 2nd floor. The student had been struck forcefully in the head with a blunt object, and was already dead. It seems the killer broke a window to escape. Based on the details of the crime, authorities say the investigation is ongoing, and believe someone may have snuck into the school to commit the act."

: I was a little surprised. I never expected it would make the newspaper.
: It says "someone may have snuck into the school," so they might be thinking that a pervert did it. It *is* the only lead they have. I mean...her school swimsuit did get stolen, too...
: That sick, twisted bastard! Sneaking into a school to steal a swimsuit, killing a nearby girl, and escaping out the window...

*Girl C crouches down with her hands over her head*

: Kyaaaaaaah! We're all in danger, too!

*Girl C stands up*

: B-But...is this really okay...? We were the first ones to discover the body...and we kept it a secret...
: It would've been the same no matter who found the body first. Don't worry about it. It's not like we have anything to hide anyway.
: That's right...all we did was find a body and not report it. That's not really a crime.
: B-But still...!
: I know you're a masochist but there's no way I'm going to get involved in this. I'm finally a student at this academy! There's no way I'm getting expelled over something like this!

*Girl E turns to face Girl D*

: Right? Isn't that right, Girl D?
: Y-Yeah...I agree, but...

*All turn to face Girl D*

: What's up!? You don't seem so sure.
: U-Um...I actually have something to discuss with you guys...
: (Girl D...I wonder what's going on? What does she want to talk about...?)
: Next we move over to Girl D and talk to her.

: To be honest, I...I ended up taking several photos of her yesterday...
: A-Are you talking about her body!?
: I thought we might get questioned by the police... So I thought I should take them just in case...
: Wh-Where are those photos now...?
: I have them...right here.

*Girl C backs away from Girl D*

: Whaaaaaaaa-! I don't wanna look at them!

: We're definitely gonna get cursed!
: C-Cursed...!?

*Girl C stands up*

: Stupid! Curses aren't even real!

*Girl E moves next to Girl D*

: You seriously need to throw away those photos! Give them to me!
: Ah, hey!

*Girl E takes the photos and tears them up. Girl C flinches.*

: This is bad! If you rip it like that, the curse...
: I just said curses don't exist! It's better to just rip these photos to shreds and throw them into the incinerator! Girl D! If you have any digital copies, you need to erase those too!
: O-Okay...
: Hey Girl E, what happened? Why do you sound so desperate?

*Girl E turns away from the group*

: N-Never mind...let's just forget about the whole incident! We had nothing to do with it, and we weren't the first ones to discover the body...

*Girl E turns to Girl B*

: Okay! The end! Seriously, let's just go home already! C'mon, it's getting late!

*Girl E walks on screen*

: Man...it's already late. The hardest part of being in the archery club is changing clothes... Everyone's probably gone back by now... Then...I guess I have to go back on my own...
: I think this is around the time that incident occurred, too... Ah, jeez! Why am I thinking about something so stupid again!? That's right, I just gotta hurry up and forget about that incident!

*Girl E starts walking off screen*

Music cuts out.

???: I won't...let...you...forget...

*Girl E flinches. The heartrate bar at the top turns yellow*

: ...Huh!?

???: I won't...let you...forget...

*Girl E looks around*

: Wh-Who's there!? Where are you!?

???: I won't let you foorget I won't let you forget I won't let you forget...

*Girl E starts backing up*

: F-Forgive...me...

*Girl E runs away*

: FORGIVEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEE!

???: Never...

???: Never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never...

*Girl A runs on screen. Girl D turns around*

: Ah, Girl A!
: Wh-What happened? Did something happen?
: Th-This is bad! This is really bad!

*Girl D crouches down with her hands over her head*

: Ugh...ugggghhhh...!
: Her head is split open like that one time... I-It's probably...the curse...

: It's the curse! It's all the curse's fault! Because of the curse...Girl E...
: What happened...to Girl E?
: Take...a look in there... Classroom 1-B...

Music fades out.

*Clatter clatter clatter*

: ... ...Huh? This is the end?

Wait...now it's "Game Over" for some reason... I don't get it... Even the game's structure doesn't make sense.

It started with the 2nd Day all of a sudden... And jumped to the 4th Day afterward... Why were the 1st Day and 3rd Day skipped? And what's with this "Down five" message on the Game Over screen? Down five... Who's down by five? What the heck is this...? I don't get this at all... How...would this be the motive?

...Is this what it's like to play a crappy game?

For now...it's a waste of time to just stay here so I should go back to my cottage and think about it...

I went back to my cottage feeling hazy and disoriented... And as I tried to think about why I felt so strange... I fell asleep without realizing it.

: Life isn't just about moving forward. When confronted by an important question, it's good to stop moving and take your time thinking about it. For example...my stomach hasn't felt well all morning, so I ran to the restroom as soon as I got off the train. But right when I was about to enter, an important question stood before me.
: Life is like that every now and then. Suddenly an important question gets in your way.
: The important question that stood before me was the "Gentlemen" sign on the restroom door... As I resisted the overwhelming urge to poop, I thought about it desperately. Am I...really a gentleman? Do I have class? Am I honest? Am I faithful? No... Why am I even hesitating!? Of course I'm a gentleman! A regular person wouldn't last five minutes resisting this urge to poop, but a gentleman most certainly would! Filled with pride, I ran into the restroom meant for gentlemen, and what awaited me was... Another important question. The important question that stood before me was the "Western Style" and "Japanese Style" signs on each door. I was definitely born in Japan...but haven't I forgotten what makes clean, beautiful Japan so good? Do I have enough confidence in myself to take a "Japanese Style" poop? ...As you can see, there are always important questions waiting for you.
: That's what life is all about.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 15, 2017