Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF: 09/14/2030, 23:01

Mashiro started dozing off as she sat next to Natsuhiko.

Salyu stopped singing and spoke up.

Is Mashiro asleep?
Yeah. I guess she tired herself out.
...Did I make her push herself too hard so she could sing with me?
No, that's not it at all. I think she enjoyed herself too.

And Mashiro was probably able to forget her anxiety too.

It's nothing to worry about. I had fun too, after all.

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

I see... that's good. It was a good experience for me, too. I'm grateful to you two. I never knew it was this fun to sing so enthusiastically.

Something suddenly struck Natsuhiko as he heard those words.

(Maybe... maybe what Salyu enjoyed wasn't the new experience of karaoke... but the new experience of singing out loud?)

Come to think of it, he knew almost nothing about her past.

Say, Salyu?
What is it?
What was your life like back in France?
--

Salyu fell silent at the question.

Ah, no, you don't have to answer if you don't want to. I was just kind of curious.
No, it's not that I don't want to talk about it. I'll talk if you want. It's just that it's not all that interesting--

And with that self-derisive statement, Salyu quietly began to speak.

I was raised inside there almost like a bird in a cage.
Huh, so you really were a high-class girl?
I'm not entirely sure what that means, but perhaps. Both of my parents administrate nuclear power-related businesses in France... apparently. I lived a life devoid of any inconvenience. I was surrounded by private tutors and received training in all sorts of fields.
All sorts of fields?
Studies centered in science. As well as 15 foreign languages, including English, Japanese, and Chinese. Engineering skills. Fine arts including piano and painting. As well as gymnastics and martial arts.
...!

Natsuhiko was shocked. He did think she was an extraordinarily gifted girl, but he didn't expect it to that degree.

I soaked up that knowledge like water into dry sand. The pursuit of knowledge and the mastering of skills were the proof of my existence. My memories consist of nothing else.
You didn't play outside? With neighborhood friends or anything...?
That basically never happened. My parents were quite strict, and so I always stayed at home. I hardly ever felt the need to go outside myself.
I see...

Natsuhiko felt that her upbringing was completely different than theirs. When Natsuhiko was still playing outside, Salyu was already taking advanced private classes at home. Salyu's peculiarities and abilities were probably derived from her upbringing. But he thought that parents who kept their daughter locked away at all times couldn't be very decent parents at all.

(It might not be an easy topic to talk about...)

He didn't know if there were complicated circumstances or if it had something to do with Salyu's heahh. But even so, Natsuhiko asked more questions.

But you seem to be able to go outside now... So did your parents change their minds?
That's not the case at all. Dr. Tenkawa took me away from there.
Huh? Why would Mom do that? How does she even know your parents to begin with?| mean, I did hear that they're distant relatives, but still...
When the professor was young, she lived in France for a period of time. She boarded in our house. Afterwards, she stayed in contact with my parents and that's how she learned about me, apparently. The professor said she wanted to give me freedom.
Mom said that, huh...

It was hard to believe that so suddenly, but Salyu didn't seem to be lying at all.

The professor persuaded my parents to let me study abroad in Japan. That is all I've heard from her.
So that's why you suddenly transferred in at such an odd time... But why was it decided that you'd live at our place?
One reason was because I had no other place to live. Another reason was because the professor wanted me to protect you. I've already said this before, but it's because Rokumei City's public order has recently gotten worse.
Public order, huh... well that's true.

When she had told him a few days ago, he didn't quite understand what she had meant. But today, what she said felt all too real.

(Protect me, huh...)

Apparently, Salyu's training back in France gave her the physical ability and the martial arts skills necessary to lead that security guard by the nose today. Natsuhiko didn't know exactly how much faith his mother had in Salyu, but--

(It's too shameful to have to rely on someone else for protection all the time.) ...Hey, Salyu. You threw that security guard today, didn't you? Do you think I can learn to do that too?
You?
Well, I mean the situation's gotten tense. I want to be able to defend myself, too.
Dabbling just a bit in martial arts won't help much. But there are techniques that even amateurs can use.
Then please, teach me those.
Roger. In that case, grab me by the nape of the neck.
Okay, like this?

Natsuhiko gently reached out for the nape of Salyu's neck. And the very next moment-- Salyu grabbed his hand.

!?
If someone tries to grab you by the neck, first you grab back at their wrist. Then you twist that wrist by wrapping around behind them--

And with an energetic shout from Salyu, Natsuhiko's world turned upside down. Natsuhiko groaned as a shock ran through his back.

Gh, guuh....!

It was an odd sensation. Salyu didn't seem to exert that much strength, and yet she quickly threw him off his feet.

You okay?
Y-yeah...

Salyu explained as Natsuhiko slowly got up.

That was a 'shihonage', or four direction throw. An aikido technique that exploits human reflexes. You're pulling the opponent's elbow backward, so when they instinctively try to escape from the pain, they end up contributing to getting themselves thrown down.
I-I see...!
When the opponent grabs at the nape of the neck, even an amateur can do it. But don't forget. The most important thing in the art of self defense is to get away.
To get away?
Yes. Japan has this proverb, doesn't it? 'A splattering of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.'
You mean a 'smattering' of knowledge? What's a 'splattering' of knowledge? That sounds kind of scary.
...Japanese is hard.
So even you can make mistakes like that, eh. That's kind of a relief.
Shut up, Natsuhiko. Anyway, I'm the one who will protect you. You should fight strictly as a last resort.
Understood. If something happens, I'll count on you first.

Natsuhiko nodded positively to Salyu's suggestion. It was a pity to have to rely on someone else for protection all the time, but what Salyu said was justified.

Thanks for telling me how to do that technique. If only I could do something for you in return--

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

In that case, there's something I want you to tell me. I just told you about my past. So now I want to hear something about you.
Huh? What about me?
Anything. Like your family, maybe. Your mother is Dr. Tenkawa, but where's your father?
Ah, she hasn't told you? Well, along time ago-- Dad became a star.
A star...?

She didn't seem to understand the euphemism. So Natsuhiko spoke upfront this time.

That, well, that means he died.
Huh...?
He was 32 years old. He was young, but he suffered from cancer. I was 5 at the time, so it's already been over 10 years.
...I'm sorry.
Ah, no, you don't have to worry about it. It's long in the past, so I'm not sad about it at all anymore.

Slight silence spread through the room. After making sure that Alice hadn't made any sounds, Salyu sighed in relief and spoke.

...What kind of person was your father?
Well, I don't really remember. He was apparently a Communicator like me.
Your father?
He was apparently a Rank B Aptitude, Ability Level 4 Communicator, which was rare for someone born before the 'Grand Communicator Discovery'.

Once Natsuhiko finished recounting the secondhand information from his mother, Salyu spoke in agreement.

So you must have inherited your high aptitude from your father. I'm fairly sure the professor's aptitude is only Rank F, after all.
Hmm, I wonder about that...? Well, it is true that Mom doesn't have the aptitude, though.
What do you mean? You have Rank S Aptitude, so it’s only natural to think it's due to your father's genetics.
...Well, about that, Salyu.

Natsuhiko lowered his voice to a whisper.

Actually, my aptitude wasn't always Rank S.
... Huh?
When they tested my aptitude before I started school, it was Rank C. But when they measured me again in elementary school, it had risen to Rank S.

Salyu's eyes widened at the revelation.

...Hold on, what is the meaning of that? Your aptitude is supposed to be determined at birth and stay the same for the rest of your life.
That's what makes the whole thing a mystery. The doctor who measured me was horribly confused, too. There was a commotion of how it was such a rare case, but-- In the end, they decided that the Rank C reading from before I started elementary school was a measurement error, and that my correct aptitude was Rank S.

That was a truth that next to nobody knew. According to the Rokumei Academy student database, Natsuhiko by nature had ''Rank S Aptitude''. The data from his time with ''Rank C Aptitude'' had been erased.

...Does that even happen?
Well, it's stayed as Rank S no matter how many years have passed, so that's probably the correct reading. I guess that's really all that's worth a special mention. I've lived a fairly ordinary life aside from that.
I see...

Natsuhiko suddenly realized how slow Salyu's reaction had been.

I'm sorry, was that a boring story?
Ah... no, not at all. Actually... I've just been terribly exhausted for a while now.

A blue branch with Salyu at 7.

...I've been trying so hard to stay awake so I could listen to your story, but... I'm at my limit.
No, it's okay, it's okay. We can still talk about it any other time.
Okay... then, I'll go sleep...

And then, as if Salyu's soundboard had run out of batteries, her voice faded into the distance.

Thanks... don't mind if I do...

Salyu collapsed onto Natsuhiko's lap and shut her eyes.

Huh? Ah...
Zzz... Zzz...

Salyu dozed off before he could pull a ''just kidding''.

It was just supposed to be a lighthearted joke, but okay...

As he spoke, Natsuhiko remembered Salyu's condition. Since she was unable to understand other people's feelings, then perhaps she couldn't catch jokes either.

(... It would probably be a jerk move on my part to tease her even as a joke.)

In short, he decided it would probably be best to always speak the earnest truth when talking to Salyu. Natsuhiko secretly hid those thoughts as he gazed upon her sleeping face. He considered heading off to sleep himself, but then-- Natsuhiko suddenly got worried about Yuuri.

(I hope she's okay...)

Hopefully the security department people they escaped from didn't force their way into the Tenkawa residence and interrogate Yuuri. Natsuhiko got more and more worried. And Yuuri would probably get worried too if they didn't come back until the next day.

(... I'll go call her.)

Perhaps it was a mistake to leave their PDAs behind. Natsuhiko quietly left the room, trying his best not to make a sound.

(Is there a pay phone anywhere...?)

A blue branch with Yuuri at 5.

He rushed inside, wary of the security department and surveillance cameras. He picked up the receiver and dialed his home phone number. The dial tone rang. However-- Yuuri did not answer.

(...? Is she in her room?)

The only phone at home was in the living room, so if she were in her room, it was understandable that she might not be able to hear the phone ringing. But Natsuhiko waited patiently and eventually the phone connected.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Ah, Yuuri?
Hikorin!
Are you okay over there? The security department hasn't tried to get inside, have they?
No, nothing's happened. No need to worry.

Natsuhiko felt relieved to hear Yuuri's relaxed voice.

More importantly, are you guys okay after what happened?
Yeah, no problem here. None of us have been caught yet or anything.
Where are you guys now?
Umm...

Natsuhiko was about to say ''the karaoke box in the shopping district'', but he stopped himself. He was afraid that the phones could be wiretapped. The security department probably wasn't being -that- thorough, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

...Somewhere in the city.
I see...

As if Yuuri had sensed Natsuhiko's misgivings, she pried no further.

Well, there's no need to worry about us, but it doesn't look like we'll be able to come home today. I'm thinking of camping out somewhere like the park with Mashiro and Salyu.

That was a lie. A small diversion in the off chance that the phone actually was tapped.

Camping? Out in the park? Will the girls be okay?
Well, Mashiro's a pretty hardy fellow, you know. And despite her looks, Salyu's actually quite a wild girl.
Huh~?
Yeah, yeah. She even threw a security guard to the ground this afternoon.
...Well, okay, I guess. But don't get too reckless, okay?

Natsuhiko smiled wryly at Yuuri's words.

Hmm... I know I sent you off and all... but I still got more and more worried about you all after you left.
I see...

Though he felt somewhat regretful, Natsuhiko continued.

...But still, I was a little surprised you saw me off so easily.
Huh?
Well, I thought you hated incidents and danger and such more than I did. So why did you say what you said this time? Why the change in heart?

In response to that casual question--

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

--Yuuri responded softly and ominously.

Huh...?

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

...To be honest, I've always been thinking... Hikorin, do you truly love the calm life you've been living? Or are you just saying you do so as to not disagree with me...?

Natsuhiko gulped to hear what she was insinuating.

Of course not... I mean, at least I never meant to, but... But what makes you say so all of a sudden?
Those were the words I wished for...? What makes you say that?
... I just knew.

Yuuri's answer was ambiguous, yet confident.

(... That's what I wished for...? Even if that is true, how would she know?)

As he pondered the puzzle, a certain doubt rose up in his mind.

(... No way. Is Yuuri...)

But before he could finish that thought, Yuuri muttered.

...Sorry if I'm wrong about this, but... Hikorin, have you ever thought that you wanted to 'return to your past self'?
My past self?
Have you been holding yourself back from doing anything all this time out of concern for me...? Things like stepping up to the face of danger by yourself...
No. Why would I do that on purpose?
That's a normal response. But you know, I've been thinking. That you truly are the type of person to choose the just path... no matter how dangerous that path may be.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

The phone's connection suddenly cut off there. Before he knew it, the hustle and bustle of the town disappeared too, leaving Natsuhiko wrapped in silence. The only sound echoing through the silence was the ticking of Natsuhiko's watch. But soon enough, even that sound stopped.

(... Again?)

(Back to reality again, huh...)

He already knew. He knew that all this time, he was merely having a recollection of September 14. He knew that his recollections of the past were gradually getting closer to the present.

(To the day this watch broke...)

In the dead silence, Natsuhiko's consciousness returned-- to September 16.