Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

LOUISE YUI SANNOMIYA'S DEDUCTION: 09/15/2030, 19:58

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

The security department called an ambulance and took the man to Rokumei City Hospital. Fortunately, his wound wasn't as deep as they initially believed, and his treatment apparently went by relatively quickly. As for Natsuhiko, Mashiro, and Salyu, they were taken to the municipal office and underwent a long, thorough investigation. They explained everything in detail to the security department, starting with why they had sneaked into the PRC. It took a long time to get the security department to understand all the details, and they didn't seem easily swayed, but... Eventually, the security department members went to the hospital and interrogated the security guard, thus learning that he had falsified the report and that his abdominal injury was self-inflicted. The kids' methods earned them reproval for their recklessness, but their results earned them recognition for successfully apprehending an alleged terrorist in the end--

Security Dept.: Thank you for your cooperation.

And with a final stereotypical line from the security department members who had been chasing them for hours, the kids left the municipal office.

Tch, they could've at least given us a reward.

Mashiro grumbled as they walked. She was quite on edge when the investigation began, but once she heard that the security guard was okay, she returned to her usual self.

(I don't know if she's being too greedy or being too soft...)

Natsuhiko smiled wryly as he made his reply.

Now, now, let's just be glad they didn't end up putting us in their custody, shall we?
Well, I guess. Nothing's more valuable than freedom, I guess.
...You two are so unselfish.

Salyu seemed unsatisfied, but Natsuhiko wasn't at all. Now that their names were cleared, they could move around without fear of the security department's shadow. And of course that meant they could return home.

Oh boy, we can finally rest easy... He may have been injured, but at least we caught the culprit.
They said the full-blown investigation will start once he's healed, right? I wish they'd pick up the pace, for goodness' sake.
I know. But it's getting late today, so let's just go home and eat for now.
Yay. Food. We haven't eaten anything since breakfast.

Natsuhiko smiled at how they were finally able to have a calm conversation for the first time that day. But there was one regretful thing that happened.

...In the end, we couldn't stop the terrorists from blowing up the PRC like they wanted to...
Yeah... but at least there weren't any casualties.

That was another thing they had heard from the security department. Thanks to Jun's team, all the PRC staff members were rescued successfully. But that was still nothing to be happy about.

Actually, there's one more thing that bothers me...
Hmm?
The security guard wasn't the man I saw on the bus.
Huh...!?
So I guess there are still more of them in town...

Natsuhiko gasped at Mashiro's statement.

...I see. I have an idea about that point. If you think about it calmly, the fact that the security guard stabbed himself in the stomach was also bizarre.
Huh... What do you mean?
While he did accomplish his mission to blow up the PRC, he had no need to commit suicide. The fact that his wound was superficial is also worrying. The answer I can derive from these issues is that probably-- His suicidal act was just that. An act. A performance to make it appear that all the incidents had reached a conclusive end.
A performance!?
If he went that far, anybody would believe that he was the one behind the entire string of incidents. But what if was just an act to avert the public gaze away from other criminals?
Y-you mean...
The incidents aren't over yet...!?

Everyone's faces stiffened at that statement. Natsuhiko stopped walking and interjected.

...Hold on a second. Before we go back home, let's think things through a bit. If there are still terrorists around, what else do you think might happen here?
More terrorism, I guess? But what other targets are there...?
The BC-related facilities that received the objectionable literature?
But we heard that the security department was tightening their guard around those facilities. And the objectionable literature was a diversion for the Parapsychology Research Center bombing in the first place. Targeting those addressees would defeat the purpose of the diversion.
Then what else could they be up to...?

Natsuhiko got the feeling they were missing something important. He thought about what that missing something could be.

(Arson? They wouldn't have had to make such an elaborate diversion to do that. I thought that all the diversions were to set up for the PRC bombing, but... was that not the case? Do they have a target besides the PRC...?)

Natsuhiko's train of thought led him to that point before something flashed in the back of his mind. He then realized exactly what it was that they were missing.

...Hey, Mashiro.
Yeah?
The man you saw on the bus mentioned 'ending this town's history', right?
Huh? W—well, yeah, but...
But blowing up the PRC wouldn't end this town's history, would it...? I mean, what if the PRC explosion itself were a diversion?
--!

Mashiro's face froze at the suggestion.

H-hold on! You mean they're targeting a bigger facility than the PRC!?
Yeah, something that sorta symbolizes the city... Something they can destroy to satisfy their hatred against Communicators.
But where would you find a facility like that? The PRC is the biggest BC research facility in town, isn't it? You don't mean school, do you?
No, they already caused a panic at school with that bomb threat, so--

The moment Natsuhiko began to speak,

... If it were me,

Salyu finally broke her silence with a sighed utterance.

I'd target that place.

Salyu pointed at the map posted at the bus stop. On the other side of her fingertip was an illustration-- --of the hexagonal building, ''LABO''.

Huh... LABO?
Salyu, that's not a BC-related facility. It's a nuclear research facility.
I know. But if I'm not mistaken-- They should have a nuclear reactor.
!!

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

The moment he heard ''reactor'', Natsuhiko was suddenly struck by an unpleasant feeling.

A-and...?

A blue branch with Salyu at 7.

Y-yeah...
What if we take that to mean their true intention is 'to raze the town in its entirety and destroy the Communicators'?
!?

Natsuhiko and Mashiro gasped at the same time.

...No, no, not even a terrorist would do that, would they?
Why not? It's the most logical target.
Yeah, but...

She couldn't find how to continue. Salyu's idea sounded like a crazy delusion-- but it couldn't necessarily be dismissed as nonsense.

(If they did blow up the nuclear reactor, that certainly would end this town's history...!)

The moment he thought that, he suddenly heard Ukita's words playing back in his head.

Causing enormous casualties. The residents in the vicinity and the firefighters sent in to handle the accident were hit the hardest; over 3000 of them died. And the number only rose after that.

Natsuhiko shuddered. Mashiro started to tremble.

Then you mean the PRC explosion was another diversion... And Q's real target is LABO!?
Calm down, Mashiro! It's just conjecture, that's all!
That's right. What I said was nothing more than conjecture.
Yeah, but it's still a possibility... So shouldn't we go to LABO and give them a warning!?
M-maybe, but... LABO...

He swallowed his words.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

No matter what Mashiro said. Because he could never forget what happened nine years ago-- On July 7, 2021. That was the very same place he had exposed Yuuri to life or death danger.

That day, Natsuhiko and Yuuri sneaked into LABO to see the professor. But a fire broke out... And the kids were trapped in the facility.

♪ BGM: Abyss

Automatic PA: In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads.

The gate shut in front of them and wouldn't open.

Darn it! Why won't it open!
*sob* ... *sob* ... Wh-what do we do, Hikorin... I'm scared...!
Don't cry, Yuuri! I'll do something!

*cough* *cough* ...!

Eventually Yuuri's coughing started to grow weak.

(If we stay here, Yuuri's gonna die...!)

Natsuhiko carried Yuuri's body and slowly started to walk. The smoke stung his eyes. He began to tear up. His breathing grew rough. His head hurt. And still he aimlessly wandered, searching for a route to survival...

He only had the faint memory that someone had come to save them--

(We were in the hospital before we knew it... But ever since then...!)

The terror didn't end with that traumatic experience. Ever since that day, Yuuri could no longer leave the house. --And it wasn't just Yuuri that changed.

LABO denied the existence of a leak, and no report was made mentioning it. But considering their efforts after the fact, a radiation leak was the only possible explanation. Natsuhiko was hospitalized for three months following the incident, and even after being discharged, he was required to undergo a yearly physical examination at the hospital. Even now, after nine years had already passed from their narrow escape from death.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

By now, Natsuhiko displayed essentially no symptoms of radiation exposure. His body was almost perfectly healthy. But with every passing July 7, and with each mention of LABO, he would recall what happened back then. Natsuhiko and Yuuri were still bound together by that incident even now.

(... And yet I have to go to LABO again...!?)

The moment that thought crossed his mind, Natsuhiko began feeling nauseous. He broke out in a cold sweat and his throat went dry. His entire body was tormented by the unpleasant memory.

(D- dammit...! Is my body refusing to remember...!?)

Natsuhiko gritted his teeth, held back the urge to vomit, and finally wrung out some words.

...E-even if Salyu's conjecture is correct...! It's a problem that's out of our hands, Mashiro...
No way! Aren't you worried, Natsuhiko!?
Of course I am! But even if Salyu's conjecture is right, what do you expect us to do!? How do you suggest we stop terrorists from targeting a nuclear reactor!?
But... then what do you suggest we do!?
First, we contact LABO officials--

As soon as Natsuhiko began to talk, he heard a familiar voice from behind them.