Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

DAYBREAK: 09/16/2030, 05:00

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

A direct 10 km path without any forks or exits. Their footsteps echoed through the overwhelming silence. Eventually, Salyu looked to the side of the street and whispered.

Natsuhiko, another camera.

Okay, then, Salyu, if you will.
Understood. Wait just a bit.

Salyu softly stepped toward the surveillance camera post and connected Alice. They had already neutralized seven cameras like this.

...We've already been walking for about an hour, huh? We're still about halfway, huh. Think we should hurry it up a bit?
No, let's slow down the pace. We'll get there even later if we use up all our stamina.

Salyu returned as Natsuhiko finished speaking.

Natsuhiko, Mashiro, I'm done.
Good. Salyu, let's walk from here on.
That would be wise. Judging by the state the inspection gate was in, I don't believe the terrorists have started heading to LABO yet.

The kids walked off into the silence once more. A sense of loneliness overcame them, as if they had walked into a world all their own.

...Hey, Natsuhiko.
Hmm, what?
You said we were going to go directly to LABO and tell them about the existence of a sleeper agent, but who exactly do you intend to tell? The security guards could secretly be criminals too like what happened with the PRC, right?
...!

That indeed was a possibility. The sleeper agent might not be Ukita. There might also be more than one.

Guess we've got no choice but to use empathy and look for someone we can trust...

Once Natsuhiko said that, Salyu quietly spoke up.

No... I think we should go see Dr. Tenkawa.
Why Mom? She didn't listen to us yesterday, remember? There's a high possibility she won't take us seriously again.
I know.
She's selfish. She doesn't listen to me... She never has.
So why Mom? I can't rely on her for--
You should still believe in her, Natsuhiko.

Salyu interrupted. She spoke in a tone that wouldn't take no for an answer.

...Huh?
The professor does worry about you, Natsuhiko. You just don't realize how much she does. Have you forgotten? The reason I was given the duty to protect you was because of the professor's orders to begin with.
!

Now that she mentioned it, that was true. He should've known that for days. Ever since Salyu had come to the house. And yet--

Judging by that point alone, the professor must deeply worry about your safety. Am I wrong?
B-but why would Mom do something like that...?
I haven't heard the detailed circumstances myself. But this is what the professor told me right before I arrived at the Tenkawa residence: 'Not even the strongest fortification can guarantee perfect safety. This town has several holes. As a Rank S Aptitude Communicator, Natsuhiko is at a higher risk of danger than other Communicators. But I cannot stay with him at all times. So I want you to protect Natsuhiko for me, Yui.'
Mom said that...?

It was hard to believe at first-- but part of it sounded familiar.

(Then you mean... that's what that voice meant?)

The mental voice he had heard from his mother yesterday. ''I knew it. He hates me. But until all the work is complete, it'd be best if I avoided him...'' Natsuhiko was rendered speechless as Salyu continued.

...The professor said this too. 'Both Natsuhiko's mind and yours are lacking in some areas. But that's exactly why you can complete each other. I have high hopes for you, Yui. Hopes that you can give Natsuhiko what I cannot. Hopes that Natsuhiko can give you what I cannot.' ...I didn't quite understand what she meant when she said that. But now I feel like I understand. Ever since I met you and became friends with Mashiro, I've gained so many things. The professor did not lie. So I believe in her.

Natsuhiko gazed at Salyu. Her firm expression somewhat resembled his mother's. Mashiro quietly spoke up as well.

...Natsuhiko, what Salyu's saying is true.
Huh?
You see, the professor's -always- thinking about you. Besides, it was the professor who asked me to come by and make food for you, remember?
You're right, she was...!
The professor thought that you needed a 'family' to be with you in that empty house in her stead. Because if you and Yuuri were left along amongst yourselves, your emotional scars would only deepen. ...I'm sure that was her intention behind arranging for Salyu to live in the Tenkawa residence as well.
...!

Natsuhiko was taken aback. He realized that the three residents in the Tenkawa household-- Natsuhiko, Yuuri, and finally, Salyu-- all had one thing in common. And that was the lack of deep familial bonds. They knew not the warmth of a family.

(... Is that what she meant by us completing each other...!?)

The moment he came to that realization, all doubts in his mind melted away. Why his mother had taken custody of Yuuri. Why she brought Salyu to their home. Why she had ordered Salyu to protect him. It all tied back to that single intention his mother had.

(... ... Why, Mom? Why haven't you ever said a word about this...!?)

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

It was a ''Salvia'' branded watch. It was a gift his mom had given him in the distant past. The memory of when he had received that watch rose up in Natsuhiko's heart. How many years ago was it?

(That's right... It was when I was 5... Right after Dad died.)

Even after her beloved husband had died from illness, she showed no tears to her son, but a soft smile instead. And once things had calmed down after the funeral, Natsuhiko's mother gently spoke to her son who had yet to stop crying.

Natsuhiko, I'm giving you this watch.
Huh...? Watch?
It was your father's watch. I gave this watch to him when we were young, and he wore it every day until his last...

It was a memento of his father. The mother changed the strap and fastened it to her son's wrist.

I also have a letter your father wrote for you...

And with that, she handed Natsuhiko a letter. The letter was written in simple hiragana so that Natsuhiko could read it at his age.

The handwriting was terribly rough, perhaps because it was written when his father was in his sickbed. Seeing the disheveled letters made him want to cry again-- But Natsuhiko desperately held in his tears. As he held tightly onto the letter with quivering hands, his mother gently embraced him.

...Your father is always with you. And I am too. I always will be...

There were tears in her eyes as she said that.

...Mom, why are you crying? Even if Dad's gone, I'm here for you... So don't cry.

The professor nodded and softly closed her eyes. The first tears he ever saw his mother cry quietly spilled down to the floor with a faint sound.

Shortly after his father's death, his mother began working day and night as if to distract herself from the sadness. She came home less and less. His father told him to protect his mother, but Natsuhiko came to think that his mother was someone who could live on her own. Eventually, Natsuhiko put the letter away inside his desk and sealed the once-precious memory away inside his mind, seldom to be recalled again--

(... But that's why I've always used this watch, isn't it?)

Tips posted:

TIP: Natsuhiko's watch
Category: Fiction

A Salvia-branded watch that Miyoko once gave to Shun as a present. Upon Shun's death, he had Miyoko give Natsuhiko the watch along with a letter he wrote.

Though it is a chronograph furnished with a stopwatch function, it uses a self-winding mechanism to charge a (battery-powered) quartz oscillator, so both the watch itself and its Salvia brand are nothing eye—catching in particular.

Regardless, the reason Miyoko gave this watch to Shun was that the brand name Salvia was the name of a flower. Salvia is a type of sage. A sage can also mean a wise man. Salvia has a wide variety of meanings in the language of flowers: respect, burning passion, my heart burns, love, wisdom, chastity, familial love, everything is all right.

A gift imbued with a hidden meaning in the language of flowers that wasn't actual flowers, but something practical instead... Ever since he was young, the watch has reminded Natsuhiko of how his mother never backed down as a woman, nor as a scientist. The thought always brings a wry smile to his face.

Natsuhiko always carried the symbol of the bond he had with his parents. Natsuhiko could feel the misgivings his heart held against his mother quietly begin to unravel. But obviously, even if he did see her soon, it wasn't as if they could return to a normal parent-child relationship that quickly. But even so--

...Let's go see Mom.

Salyu and Mashiro silently nodded at the notion. Nobody in town was on their side. Not the city, nor the police, nor the school.

(But my mother, my own flesh and blood...)

That thought was their last hope.

As long as she's on our side, there's nobody more reassuring than Mom.
True. After all, she's top brass at LABO, and a world class physicist, too.
Yes. Not even I can win against her.

The three kids smiled at each other. That definite glimmer of hope was enough to raise their courage up a notch.

...But how do we meet up with the professor? They said they were strengthening security, so don't you think it would be hard to get inside the building? According to the rumors, LABO's security guards are ex-JSDF soldiers equipped with rubber bullet machine guns.
That reminds me. Mr. Ukita said that LABO had permission to possess security measures beyond the law, didn't he?
Then do we infiltrate from a back entrance? Such a large facility has a high probability of having several entrances.

Natsuhiko pondered that question for a while.

...No, let's go in directly from the front.
Huh?
If the sleeper agent is a security guard, then sneaking in would actually be more risky. There's the danger they could bring us somewhere out of sight and finish us off there. But if we walk in fair and square through the front door, we'll attract a lot of eyes. It'll make it difficult for the enemy to interfere with us that way.
But if the security guards aren't sleeper agents, then wouldn't it only be obvious that they'd apprehend us?
No problem. If we get them to take us to Mom, then that'll still fulfill our goal.
...True... but isn't that still too much of a gamble?
Yeah. It's a gamble. But it's probably our safest bet... and the route most aligned with justice. What hero of justice sneaks in through the back door? A lame hero, that's what.

Mashiro stared in blank amazement at Natsuhiko's broad grin.

N-Natsuhiko, aren't you acting... a bit differently from how you usually do?
What, have you forgotten, Mashiro? Well, guess I can't blame you since it's been nine whole years-- But this is how I used to be, isn't it?

Mashiro's face lit up like the sun at those words.

...That's it, Natsuhiko! Those were the words I've been waiting for!
Okay, so no problems going through the front then, right guys!?
That certainly does seem like the most rational idea.
Yeah!

The three of them smiled at each other. And they gazed at the end of the long road.

As if each of the three stars symbolized them--

(Yeah, this sort of thing happened before, didn't it...)

Natsuhiko abruptly recalled an event from his past. --When he was young, Natsuhiko wanted to be a hero of justice. And in an attempt to get even the slightest bit closer to that goal, he ran all around town with complete disregard for danger. But because of his actions, Yuuri got hurt.

(That was when time stopped for me, wasn't it...)

He had always thought that it didn't matter to him. If his frail sense of justice hurt others, then he was better off not doing anything.

(But... it's not like that now. I swear I'll protect everyone and everything this time.)

Natsuhiko walked with that conviction in his heart. Eventually, as the stars faded away to give rise to the light of day-- They found their destination just a short distance away.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 12, 2017