Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TRUTH: 09/16/2030, 07:28

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

H... huh...!?

His voice spilled out of his lips on its own.

(Yuuri... died back then...!?)

The moment the memory came back, he recalled each and every truth tied to it. How Yuuri's funeral service went about quietly. How Natsuhiko was unable to attend. And how Yuuri's parents did not die in a traffic accident at all. Rather, they took advantage of their daughter's death to move out of the city--

(... Then...)

Natsuhiko pondered.

(In that case, who's the Yuuri standing right there--?)

He timidly looked up. He tried to look at Yuuri, who he knew was standing in front of him. But as she stood there, her body--

♪ BGM: Rondo Carrousel (Instrumental Arrange)

----...!!

--was faint and hazy.

...Yuuri.

He called her name. In response, Yuuri just looked at him sadly-- and murmured.

Now you understand why I said I couldn't go with you, don't you...?
...!

That very moment, the facade Natsuhiko had believed to be the truth started crumbling down.

...No...

The brain at times believes that hallucinations are real. Since the hallucination 'exists' to that person, they feel no fear nor doubt.
Even though it's a hallucination...?
Even though it's a hallucination.

That word reverberated in his head.

(Impossible...! There's no way Yuuri can be a hallucination...! She's been with me these nine years!! I swear she was with me!!)

Shock and confusion commanded Natsuhiko's thought process. But-- the more he thought about it, the more tell-tale signs he found.

Each of those symptoms applied to Natsuhiko.

(H-hold on... ... Have I always had it backwards? The one who lost their emotional balance after the accident wasn't Yuuri--!)

''How can you even tell?'' ''Because those were the words you were wishing for.'' At the time, he had thought Yuuri used empathy. But she never needed to read his mind at all. Because Yuuri only existed in Natsuhiko's mind to begin with...!

What about you, Salyu? I've heard that manga and anime are popular in France.
True. So what about you, Salyu?
Huh?

Salyu always asked for a repeat of what Yuuri said. It wasn't simply because she didn't hear Yuuri. It was because Yuuri's voice could only be heard in Natsuhiko's mind. --The reason Yuuri couldn't leave the house was because Natsuhiko wished it so. Because it would be inconvenient to him if ''Yuuri'' were to attract outside attention.

(''The brain actively works to rationalize its perceptions to eliminate inconsistencies''...!)

Natsuhiko's perceptions were held up by countless rationalizations.

The reason Natsuhiko felt no sexual desire for Yuuri was because he couldn't touch her. And yet he kept believing Yuuri was there, all these nine years... Because he was unable to accept her death.

(Yuuri is gone...? Does that mean she's been dead for ages...!?)

The truth gradually sank into Natsuhiko's mind.

He recalled all the memories he shared with Yuuri up until today. And all the scenes she was in--

...Ah...

Well, I'm surprised too-- but Yuuri's here in the facility.
Huh!?

Mashiro and Salyu looked around in shock.

There was nothing but air where Natsuhiko thought Yuuri was standing.

And it wasn't only the illusions in his memory. The illusion before his very eyes was also fading in favor of the truth. The fading illusion gazed at Natsuhiko and whispered.

...Hikorin, it's time to say goodbye.
--

''Wait. Don't go.'' He tried to speak. But his voice wouldn't come out. He couldn't even find the words.

...I'm sorry for deceiving you for so long. I wanted to support you...
...But I'm sure you'll be okay without me now. You've noticed it these past few days, haven't you? You're not alone, Hikorin. With Mashiron at your side, and Salyu too... You've overcome everything that's come your way, haven't you? The professor's always thinking about you too. No matter how harsh the truth might be, there are plenty of people there to support you. ...You see, that's the final thing I wanted to tell you.

Perhaps that was why Natsuhiko recalled his memories again and again. To etch into his mind just how important Mashiro, Salyu, and everyone else were to him. So he'd be able to handle the truth. To correct the inconsistencies of his perception, little by little--

(... That's right. Whenever I tried to reject Mashiro and Salyu... premonitions of disastrous futures would come to mind.)

Were those premonitions merely illusions made subconsciously by Natsuhiko's mind as a warning? Did his subconscious know that if he were to continue rejecting Mashiro and Salyu, he would be unable to stand up to the truth...? But none of that mattered to him anymore. Natsuhiko reached out to Yuuri and raised his voice.

Please don't go, Yuuri!
Huh...?
The days I spent with you are irreplaceable! I don't care if you're an illusion! Don't disappear! I'm begging you!

Yuuri sadly responded to his cries.

...I'm sorry, Hikorin. But I have to. Because you've noticed the fact that I'm gone... But because of that, time has finally started to move again for you after it's been stopped for nine years, hasn't it? You can live again now. You can live your own life, no longer bound by your memory of me...
So... ... ...

That was her final word. For she had disappeared. For the illusion vanished before Natsuhiko's eyes--!

...Ah... ...Ugh, aah....

Eventually, a strangled cry escaped from Natsuhiko's throat.

--AaaaaAAAAAGGHH!!

It was the same scream he let out when he learned of Yuuri's death. The bitter cry of one who had learned the truth.