Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Odyssey in the Sky With Denpa: 09/10/2030, 06:19

A memory of the recent past. Natsuhiko naturally knew just how much time had passed.

(... Ahh. It's nine years after that day, huh...)

Indeed-- it was a memory of just about a week ago.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Mashiro was making breakfast in the Tenkawa kitchen as usual. And soon enough, she heard the living room door open as Natsuhiko greeted her.

Good morning.
Ah, good morning!

Mashiro returned the greeting and quickly continued cooking. The newscaster on TV was rambling on in a matter-of-fact tone of voice.

Newscaster: --Next on the news. Early this morning, Rokumei City's 'BC Training Center' received objectionable literature from an extremist group. A connection to the recently held BC seminar was also identified. The police are now working with the city security department to--

Soon, she heard Natsuhiko's voice mix in with the voice on the TV.

Good morning, Yuuri.

Mashiro turned around.

Good morning, Yuuri!

But Natsuhiko acknowledged that ''Yuuri had entered the room''. Mashiro merely played along.

Breakfast is just about done~

Mashiro distributed the food to Natsuhiko and ''Yuuri'' without any panic in particular. Over the course of the past half year, Mashiro had completely gotten the hang of things.

What's on the menu today?
Hash browns, bacon and eggs, salad, omelettes, and orange juice. A classic all—American breakfast.
Wow, starting the day off with a full meal, huh.

--During that exchange, Natsuhiko was probably hearing Yuuri's voice. Even at this point in time, he still had not accepted her death. He didn't just hear her voice. He always seemed to see an illusion of Yuuri.

(''Charles Bonnet syndrome'', huh...)

Tips posted:

TIP: Charles Bonnet syndrome
Category: Nonfiction

A condition that causes patients to see hallucinations despite otherwise mental normalcy.

First described by Swiss naturalist Charles Bonnet. Often found in old patients with visual impairment due to diabetic retinopathy or cataracts, as well as young patients with brain trauma. Even if the patient is mentally normal and is aware that they are seeing a hallucination, the hallucination is still vivid and can only be judged to be a hallucination using circumstantial evidence. Even if they are aware that it is their own brain showing them the hallucination, they cannot seem to control the hallucinations at will. Worldwide sightings of gods, angels, as well as aliens and ghosts could possibly be the result of Charles Bonnet syndrome.

Mashiro remembered the name of a condition she had read in a book before. Charles Bonnet syndrome-- a general term for a phenomenon that occurs due to an abnormality of information transfer in the brain. Even if the person is mentally normal, they suffer symptoms including visual hallucinations. Often the cause is physical trauma to the brain. When Natsuhiko got caught in the fire, he likely inhaled large volumes of carbon monoxide.

(... I guess that damaged his brain and caused him to hallucinate.)

That was what Mashiro figured. --But aside from that one detail, Natsuhiko was completely normal. As long as he didn't come in contact with the truth of that past, he would live calm, peaceful days.

Thanks for the food~

And thus another morning began. Mashiro secretly used empathy on Natsuhiko. Upon which she heard Yuuri's voice as Natsuhiko heard it in his brain.

{Yup~ it's delicious~ Just like you'd expect from Mashiron~}
Yeah, it's amazing how you can make all of this in such a short amount of time.

Oddly enough, using empathy on Natsuhiko allowed Mashiro to hear Yuuri's voice as Natsuhiko heard it. Mashiro smiled at Natsuhiko.

Hahah, I'm just used to it. I mean, I -have- been doing this for over half a year now.

--It took five years to train herself to that level of ability. At this point in time, Mashiro had gained the equivalent of Ability Level 5. She was able to use empathy smoothly and naturally, without the need to concentrate too hard nor the need to sacrifice her hearing. There were likely very few Communicators with the same level of ability as her in the entire nation. The reason Mashiro was able to obtain such power despite only having Rank B Aptitude-- --was perhaps out of sheer force of will. Her will to ''know'' Natsuhiko's mind. That was what granted her ability beyond her aptitude. Empathy allowed her a glimpse of Natsuhiko's world whenever she wished.

{Huh? Hikorin, you've barely touched your food. Does your tummy hurt?}
Ah, no, I'm fine. I just wanted to savor the food as I ate.
{Really? That's good.}
...I might not look it, but I've got a sturdy body. I've always got a healthy appetite.

With that answer, Natsuhiko stuffed his cheeks with bread.

Oh, I like how you eat, Natsuhiko. Makes all that effort worth it.

The conversation concluded without any issue. Yuuri certainly still existed, at least within the walls of the house. Even if her existence was a fragile illusion built upon the foundation of countless lies. Naturally, Mashiro was unbearably reluctant to peek into Natsuhiko's mind without permission. But she chose to play along with Natsuhiko's story even if it meant she had to overcome her guilty conscience. For that was the only way she could remain by his side. Nine years ago, she took an oath upon herself. To ''watch over Natsuhiko until he returned to his old self''. Mashiro stayed true to that oath even now.

The more serious matter at hand was his panic disorder. One wrong move and Natsuhiko would come close to noticing Yuuri's death-- Causing him to display symptoms including intense headaches and heart palpitations. In extreme cases, his memories would go into disarray and he'd begin to ignore reality. Aside from hospital staff, only Mashiro and Dr. Tenkawa knew about his condition.

(... If only he could gradually improve...)

The most effective treatment for this kind of condition was said to be ''family therapy''-- that is, for the family to treat the patient with devoted support for their condition.

(... I have to play the role of family in the professor's place...)

That was what Dr. Tenkawa had requested due to her frequent absence from home.

But still... sorry for making you do this all the time, Mashiro.
Whaddaya mean? Your mother pays me after all, so it's kinda like a part-time job. And besides, it's not like I do it for you or anything. If I had to say, I do it more for Yuuri. Right, Yuuri?

As Mashiro said that, she secretly thought to herself.

(I do it for Yuuri, huh...)

Mashiro did indeed suffer a deep wound after losing her close friend. She was honestly happy that she could still talk to the deceased Yuuri by using empathy on Natsuhiko. But naturally, that couldn't have been her only reason.

(Then what have all these nine years been for...?)

Not even Mashiro quite knew herself. It couldn't be explained simply by the words ''atonement'' or ''regret''.

(... No, I just... I just want Natsuhiko to return to how he used to be. That's all. Because that's just about all I can do...)

As Mashiro silently recited her convictions, she looked at Natsuhiko. At the boy who gazed at the phantom of a dead girl without ever second guessing himself--