Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TAKE HER HAND

Our next friendship scene on the list is one for Yuuri. During MYSELF;YOURSELF, Natsuhiko is hesitant to leave Yuuri behind alone as the gang plans to sneak out of the house to elude the security department, and he remembers something...

If they left the house just once, the security department could catch them easily, and who knows when they'd be able to return.

(But is it really okay...!? Is it okay to leave Yuuri here alone...?)

He'd promised to himself that he'd keep watching over her. He had thought that way ever since the accident nine years ago-- No, even before that.

(If only I could go back to that time...)

And with that thought, Natsuhiko's mind recalled the events of ten years ago.

Natsuhiko worried about Yuuri and went to the park every day to see her. But three days passed with no sign of her... So on the fourth day, he made up his mind and headed to her house once more.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

With a horribly sad look on her face.

Yuuri.

Her face shined like the sun as soon as she heard his voice.

Ah, Natsuhiko. Did you come to play?
Y-yeah. You weren't coming to the park, so I got worried...
I see. I'm so happy. I wanted to play with you too.
You should've just come to the park then.
But I can't. I'm not 'sposed to. Mom and Dad say I can't play with the other kids in town...
...!

Now that she had mentioned it, he remembered that her parents had called Communicators disgusting. Even though their own daughter was a Communicator herself.

I see... so let's play in secret, then. Should we play at your place? Or my place?
We can't at my place. Mom and Dad are there.

--And then Natsuhiko heard that angry voice roar from the house again.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Mr. Kotono: Hey, do something with that brat by the door! She's such a drat annoying pest!
Mrs. Kotono: All your goddamn selfishness does is drive her away! If you don't even want to bother raising her, then shut yer drat trap!

Natsuhiko felt he had never heard such abusive language in his life. Yuuri's expression grew darker and darker. Unable to stand any more of it, Natsuhiko spoke up to her.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

...Okay, Yuuri. Let's go to the park right now.
Huh?
It doesn't have to be the park. Just anywhere away from here.
But if I go off and play on my own, then Dad might get mad at me...
Forget about your dad. You don't want to play with me, Yuuri?
...Of course I do.
Then let's go! C'mon!

Natsuhiko pulled Yuuri by the hand. He wanted to take Yuuri as far away from there as soon as possible. Yuuri hesitated for a second, but--

Ah... ...Okay.

She nodded ever so slightly and followed Natsuhiko.

He thought that if even Mashiro were there, they could have a fun playtime, but--

There's nobody here...
Y-yeah, you're right.

--unfortunately, nobody was around that day. Perhaps everyone was at the ''secret base'' in the outskirts of town.

...Well, fine. Let's just play by ourselves. What should we play?
We don't have any books with us today... so how about we just take a walk or something?
Huh? S-sure. If that's okay with you, Yuuri...

The two of them took an aimless stroll around the park.

...You having fun?
I am. Because I'm with you after all, Natsuhiko.
Well, as long as you are... I'm sure we'd be able to play more fun things if my other friends were around, though.
Other friends?
Hmm, let's see... if it had to be a girl, then... Oh right. There's this girl called Mashiro. She's super energetic and super loud, too. I'm sure you two would get along quickly if you met.
Mashiro, huh? Do you think she'd bother being friends with someone like me?
It'd be fine. She's dumb, but the one good thing about her is that she easily makes friends with anyone. Come to think of it, there was this one time when she...

Natsuhiko was determined to just keep on talking. He wanted Yuuri to forget about the time and her troubles at home as much as possible. But no matter how hard he tried-- Natsuhiko could not keep the sun from setting.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Yuuri sighed as she looked at the setting sun. Her smile had already faded away.

I have to go back home.
...You do?
Yeah. If I'm out too late, then Dad gets mad at me...
Bye bye, Natsuhiko. Let's play again, okay?

And with that farewell, Yuuri slowly walked away. She shrank as if in a silent cry for help--

...Wait, Yuuri!

Without thinking, Natsuhiko raised his voice.

Huh...?
Yuuri, you don't want to go home, do you?
Th-that's not true... I'm sure Mom and Dad are worried about me...
I'm not asking about your Mom and Dad. I want to know what you really want.
But, it's... it's not like I can just run away from home...
So I, well... I -do- want to go home...!
That's a lie! There's no way you'd want to go back to a home like that!
!?

Yuuri's face cramped. Natsuhiko's heart hurt-- but he felt like he would regret it if he let her go home then and there.

...Yuuri, please. Tell me how you really feel. Do you really want to go back to a home filled with shouting all the time?
...*sniff*

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Finally the dam broke and Yuuri's tears came pouring out.

I don't want to go back! I want to stay with you, Natsuhiko!

She fell into Natsuhiko's chest and cried out for help.

I hate how Mom never listens to me no matter what I say! I hate how Dad says I'm a pest no matter where I go! I hate how Mom and Dad never tell me what I've done that's so wrong! I try not to get in the way! I try to be a good girl! I try my bestest not to make them mad! *sniff*... *sob*... waaaaahhh! Help me, Natsuhiko! Help me!

Yuuri's sobs echoed through the twilit park. Her spilling tears soaked Natsuhiko's chest. As he watched her scream and shout, Natsuhiko remembered something.

(Ahh, that's right...)

The first day they met in this park, Yuuri had been crying too. She was so quiet, yet so sad. He wanted to put an end to those tears. And what he had felt back then hadn't changed since.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

...In that case.
Huh...?
If you don't want to go home... then let's go somewhere, just the two of us.

Natsuhiko gripped Yuuri's hand.

Yuuri said nothing. Her face was soaked with tears. He couldn't tell what she was thinking. But even so-- Yuuri gripped Natsuhiko's hand back. --He could feel her warmth through the softness of her palm. As Natsuhiko felt that warmth, he thought to himself. He swore that no matter what happened, he'd protect her for sure--