Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ETERNAL MEMORY

And now, our final friendship scene, which comes during MIND.

Yuuri was no longer with them. Natsuhiko finally accepted that truth--

(Goodbye, Yuuri...)

--and bid her farewell.

Natsuhiko recalled one such nostalgic memory. --A memory of when she was living--

They first headed home.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Natsuhiko and Yuuri walked silently hand—in-hand. The professor walked a few steps ahead of the two as she spoke on the phone with someone.

--Yes, there's the possibility of neglect... Does Article 14 of the BC Law not apply? ...Then at least a security department citation for the parental guardians...

Natsuhiko’s mother spoke in a firm voice. But what she was talking about was too difficult for the kids to understand. However, they at least had the vague idea that the situation was serious. Eventually, Yuuri cast down her eyes and murmured.

...Hey, Natsuhiko.
Hmm...?
Thanks for everything today. It was so fun.

Natsuhiko's chest tightened as she thanked him. He said he'd protect Yuuri, but he couldn't fulfill his promise. He even borrowed strength from his mother, but he had no idea how far that would get him. Perhaps dragging Yuuri along this late at night only made things worse. He had seen how horribly furious her parents would get at her after she'd return home.

...I'm sorry, Yuuri.
Huh?
...I couldn't do anything. I couldn't do anything to help you...

Yuuri shook her head at those words.

Don't say that... We may have only run away from home for a short time, but it was really fun for me. We walked hand-in-hand, we talked a lot... we made precious memories. ...That's all I need to...

Yuuri sealed her lips at that. Natsuhiko looked up to the sky to prevent his tears from falling down.

Stars shined throughout the night sky. Yuuri looked up at the stars too.

...The stars sure are pretty, huh?
... Yeah.

And thus they ended up looking up at the sky together. Yuuri pointed to some particularly bright stars and spoke.

Hey, Natsuhiko, do you know those stars?
Which stars?
Those two stars beside the Milky Way... They're called Orihime and Hikoboshi.
Yeah... I've heard of them.
Hikoboshi is your star, isn't it, Natsuhiko? Your names do sound the same.

Yuuri smiled slightly as she spoke. Natsuhiko gathered the courage to answer her.

Yeah... Now if only 'Orihime' was called 'Yuuriboshi', right?
Mmm, it's too bad, but I'm not a princess like Orihime.
Ah, but it wouldn't be good anyway. Those two stars are separated from each other, after all.
... Yeah. But... You see, even if those two stars are separated, they can meet each other once a year. And because they've made that promise, they're not sad. ...And I'm not sad either. I can always go to the park whenever I want to see you, Natsuhiko. That sounds like a way better deal than what Orihime and Hikoboshi get.

--He knew that those words were her earnest attempt to sound like everything was okay. He was quietly assaulted by regret and helplessness. It wasn't as if seeing her in the park again and again could save Yuuri. Age, family, social standing-- those completely worthless things had separated them. Just like how the Heavenly River of the Milky Way separated the two stars. So Natsuhiko firmly grasped Yuuri's hand.

...Hey, Yuuri.
Huh?
I'll never forget what happened today.

Natsuhiko swore to never forget his regrets. He swore an oath upon his heart. Yuuri smiled back at him.

...I won't forget what happened today either. I'm so happy you said you'd protect me, Natsuhiko...

Yuuri gazed at Natsuhiko. As Natsuhiko gazed back, he silently swore. --To one day go up to her. And protect her forever.

(Once I grow up and get stronger... I swear I'll protect you, Yuuri...!)

{I'll be waiting--}

--Those words softly echoed in Natsuhiko's mind.

And with that, we return to MIND. Only one thing left to go in Route Before now.