Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Astonishment / SHOCK: 09/16/2030, 15:10

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Release Natsuhiko. Or else I'll choke this woman to death.
(S-Salyu!?)
Stop it, Salyu! We're just trying to save you guys! Why can't you understand that!?

Watase frantically tried to talk some sense into the bloodthirsty Salyu. But she just gave him a pointed glare--

I thought I told you to stop telling such transparent lies. You think you can trick me after you shot Natsuhiko?
Wha... Wait, what did you say...!?
You didn't know, woman?
You're lying... right...'? The Captain would never do anything like that... right...?

Watase gasped at Kazami's words. And at that moment--

The memories of back then flickered inside Watase's head once more.

(Crap! At this rate, Watase might regain his memory--! What do I do!? Go back to my body and try to persuade Salyu!? Wait, but... Would it be safe to suddenly return to my body when it's barely recovered from the brink of death!? If my body's condition suddenly worsens once it gets out of hibernation--!)

As Natsuhiko hesitated, Salyu addressed Kazami.

Take a close look at what's in that man's pocket.

That gun probably belonged to this man to begin with. He used it to shoot Natsuh--

Right when Salyu said that, Kazami violently shook her off.

--I SAID STOP!
!

Salyu's body flew through the air.

(!?)

All Natsuhiko could do was watch the whole thing from beginning to end. Salyu proceeded to tumble down the staircase. She finally stopped at the landing of the stairs at Bi. She wasn't budging an inch.

(--Salyu!)

Her life wasn't in danger, but she appeared to be completely knocked out.

(Dammit! If only I hadn't hesitated to go back to my body!)

As Natsuhiko wallowed in regret for not trying to persuade Salyu sooner-- Kazami descended the steps with unsteady feet.

Captain... is she...?
It's okay, she's just passed out.
I-I see...

Kazami's body shook as she spoke. Something was off about her. Kazami looked at Watase and spoke.

...Captain, may I ask you just one question?
...What is it?
This mystery has been on my mind for along time... Captain, why was it that you went down to the basement at 6:42 AM, shortly after this accident occurred?
That's-- I told you guys, that's because Dojima and Hiyama called for me on their radio...
So what you're saying is that your radio could receive transmissions then, correct? But... but you know... I personally tried to reach you on your radio just a few minutes before that...!

''6:42 AM''-- That was one of the memories Natsuhiko casually bestowed upon Watase when falsifying his memories.

(Has Ms. Tachibana been doubting Watase this entire time...?)

That doubt wasn't unwarranted. The loss and imperfect recovery of memory. Hallucinations. Falsehoods. A pistol. Watase could answer none of these lingering questions of hers-- Watase was extremely suspicious. But for Kazami to have followed him this far was probably a testament to just how much she trusted him.

(But that last thing Salyu said must've been...!)

That last statement must have been enough to shatter Kazami's trust.

I... I tried as hard as I could to trust you. I've trusted you for as long as I can remember. But...
T-Tachibana...?
...I just can't do it, Watase. If what Ms. Sannomiya said was true, then everything fits. When I think of this facility's true nature and the past you... I realize that there's only one answer.
(Wh-what's going on...?)

At that moment, Natsuhiko felt an intense uneasiness. He could understand why Kazami would doubt Watase, but the extent of her doubt was blatantly abnormal.

... If you are a murderer... Then the least I can do is preserve your good name...!

As Kazami kept muttering incomprehensibly, she reached out for a nearby fire extinguisher.

You went down the wrong path, Watase... Now it's time for you to receive your punishment for that choice.

--And a second later...

♪ BGM: Abyss

Kazami swung the fire extinguisher horizontally, but Watase quickly blocked it with his arm.

St-stop! Why are you doing this!?
Watase... I'm so sorry, Watase... This is the only thing... I can do for you now...

At that moment, Watase quickly thrust Kazami away.

Kyah!

She fell on the staircase with the fire extinguisher still in hand. Watase took that opportunity to carry Natsuhiko's body down to the second basement level and rush out of the stairwell.

Thoughts raced through Natsuhiko as Watase shouted that.

(What in the world's going on!? --Why's everyone acting crazy all of a sudden!? Even Ms. Tachibana!?)

Something suspicious was happening. But Natsuhiko didn't know what.