Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The Night She Died: 07/08/2021, 22:16

As she waited in the silence-- She eventually heard a commotion outside the hospital room.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

People were swiftly approaching her hospital room.

(Huh... wh-what?)

The footsteps were rough and violent, which soared Yuuri a little.

???: The patient in this room?
???: Yeah. The hospital director's come to an agreement. There are no other patients in this ward. Please proceed freely.

Whispers could be heard from in front of the room. Just then, a pitter patter of rushing footsteps added to the cacophony. Suddenly, a new voice yelled out.

Hey, what do you people think you're doing!?

It was Dr. Tenkawa's voice. Yuuri felt a little relieved, but she was still scared. She didn't want to go check out the situation outside for herself.

Mr. Eriguchi, what is the meaning of this? What pushed you to mobilize Security Sector 6?
Eriguchi: Orders from above. Effective today henceforth, Yuuri Kotono has been registered as LABO's fourth test subject.
What...!? This must be some sort of joke! She's a friend of my son!
Eriguchi: That's a statement unbefitting of Senior Fellow Miyoko Tenkawa, the very brains of LABO. The girl is a Rank S Communicator, an extreme rarity across the globe... And you're well aware of just how dangerous such a being is, I assume?
You plan to make my own son into a test subject too, don't you!?
Eriguchi: But of course. We cannot allow our emotions as individuals to take precedence over reason and simply leave these beings to their own devices.
Don't give me that garbage! Ignoring what just happened the other day, LABO's ethics are clearly lacking as of late! If this continues, I'll have to file a report to the ESP Bureau, you know!?
Eriguchi: You are aware that you can't do that, correct? Not if you consider your son's safety...

A heavy silence fell upon them. Eventually, Dr. Tenkawa muttered in a stifled voice.

...Yuuri's still in no condition to move due to the aftereffects of the fire. I feel that transporting her to LABO will be too great of a burden on her body... Mr. Eriguchi. Go home today and take your Security Sector 6 people with you.
Eriguchi: ...Well, fine. We'll let you save face for today, Dr. Tenkawa. I'll be back.

And with those words, the sound of several footsteps faded into the distance. Once Yuuri could no longer hear them,

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Ah... Professor...
Yuuri...

The professor smiled weakly as she walked on over to Yuuri.

...Did you hear that conversation just now?
Y-yeah... but there were so many things I didn't understand... Have things gotten difficult?
Perhaps...

The professor sighed deeply.

Um... please tell me. What happened to us?

The professor remained silent for a while before speaking with a resigned tone of voice.

...Yuuri. As a result of the accident, your genetic code mutated, as did Natsuhiko's.
Genetic code?
It's what dictates the composition of your body-- like a blueprint, so to speak. One of the genes in your genetic code, the IGF2R gene-- a gene that relates to BC usage-- was damaged and reconstructed due to the particles that were spreading inside the facility. Your BC 'aptitude' rose from Rank C to Rank S. Despite how aptitude normally remains constant throughout one's lifetime.
...?

Yuuri stared blankly. She didn't quite understand what the professor was saying. The professor then continued.

Remember how we did tests to see if you could use BC this afternoon?
Y-yes.
You were able to use telepathy and empathy without any practice... Those results said it all. You became a world-class Communicator.
Huh...!?
It's unprecedented. And yet it wasn't just you. Natsuhiko likewise mutated into Rank S Aptitude. His ability rose accordingly as well. Currently, only I can attest to his ability... but during the fire, Natsuhiko used telepathy, you see?
Y-yes...
But because of those results... LABO now has their eyes on you. They're going to incarcerate both you and Natsuhiko inside of LABO...
ln-car-sir-ate?
They're going to lock you up and make you into a test subject for BC research. LABO isn't actually a nuclear power research facility, but a BC research facility. Likewise, I don't conduct nuclear power research, but BC research. I'm a central personage of the organization... And yet... I never expected that my own son and his friend would have to be incarcerated...!
...!

It wasn't as if Yuuri understood everything the professor was saying, but she did understand some of it.

And as a result, they would have to live the rest of their lives locked away.

Can't you get them to stop it...?
...I'm sorry. I know it must be hard to understand why, but there are reasons why I can't. Because it is indeed true that the abilities you two have gained are dangerous...!

Dr. Tenkawa answered painfully. But if there were no other way, then--

Um... Professor?
Huh?
Do they need to lock both of us up?
...What do you mean?

Yuuri stated her own thoughts as the professor looked on, confused.

If I go to LABO willingly... Can they let Hikorin stay free in return...?
!!

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

...That might be possible. Fortunately, Natsuhiko hasn't awakened yet. As long as he's still unaware of the circumstances, then maybe... But are you sure, Yuuri?
I'm sure. Because Hikorin saved me. So now it's my turn.

That was the moment Yuuri decided her own fate. --Two days later, when Yuuri was transferred to LABO, Dr. Tenkawa informed her of the news.

I see...
From now on, Natsuhiko will be placed under surveillance by both LABO and government agencies as a special observation target. You shall be incarcerated in LABO and Natsuhiko shall live within society-- By comparing how you two Communicators develop, we can gain valuable data. I somehow managed to convince the higher ups using that pretext. But one condition they have is that once Natsuhiko surpasses a certain ability level, he will immediately be transferred here...

That would be a desirable result for Yuuri, but--

(But... Hikorin loves it outside. Because he's got lots of friends... So it'd be so sad if he got locked up inside.)

The professor spoke to Yuuri as she had that thought.

...Yuuri, if you want, maybe we really should keep Natsuhiko with you...
No, it's okay.

Yuuri smiled at the professor.

...But instead, can I ask for just one thing...?
...What is it?
Please let me see him... Even just once in a while... Even just once a year. Please. That's all I ask.
...I promise.

The professor's words softly shook the surrounding air.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

(H-hey... What the hell's this...!?)

It was a truth far beyond his expectations.

(LABO tried to incarcerate us as test subjects!? Not just Yuuri, but me too!? And Yuuri sacrificed her freedom for my sake...!?)

Even though his own senses were supposed to have faded away, he could have sworn he felt his heart pounding like an alarm bell.

(Th-then... What happened to Yuuri afterwards!?)

As that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, more and more visions floated before his eyes.