Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

CONFESSION: 09/16/2030, 15:59

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Astonished by the turn of events, Natsuhiko tried using empathy on Watase. He then heard Watase's mental voice.

{But where would she go...?}

So basically, Salyu probably woke up and went somewhere else, just as Watase had surmised.

(In that case, I should be able to contact her through telepathy.)

Natsuhiko tried doing so immediately.

{--Salyu, can you hear me? Please respond mentally if you can. I'll listen for your answer through empathy.}

And just as he had told her, he then tried using empathy on Salyu, but--

(... ... Huh!?)

No matter how many times he used empathy, he couldn't hear her mental voice.

(Wh-what's going on!? Why can't I communicate with Salyu!?)

Natsuhiko panicked as he tried to think of possible reasons. But there was only one thing he could think of.

(I see... Salyu's probably injected with AD.)

Now that he thought about it, there were signs that Salyu had been injecting herself. Like how they had found empty AD ampules in places where she'd been.

(Salyu doesn't know that this place is actually a BC research facility... So she must've read a disaster prevention manual somewhere and kept injecting herself with AD under the belief that it's a radiation inhibitor.)

But talking about that point with Watase would complicate matters. Natsuhiko concluded that Salyu waking up safely meant that she would probably be fine for the time being, so he changed the subject.

Do you think Salyu felt endangered and hid herself somewhere?
I sure hope so, but...
...Something bugging you?
She... might be searching for me.
Huh?
Searching for you? Why...?
I've said this before, but... that girl doesn't trust me at all. She herself told me and Tachibana why. You were unconscious, Natsuhiko, but... do you remember hearing that conversation?
N-no...
...I see.

Watase's expression rapidly became pensive. And the more Watase thought, the more uneasy Natsuhiko got.

I know both you and that Mashiro girl got shot, but... did you happen to see the face of the shooter?
N-no, I didn't. He was hiding his face.
... Honest?
Honest. Why do you ask?
Well... you might think it's weird for me to say this, but... I can't keep silent about it any longer.

Watase drew closer to Natsuhiko and continued.

The truth is, these strange images flash before my eyes whenever I see you kids! They're so vivid, like they're my own memories...! They're all disturbing images tinged with rage, fear, and bloodlust! Like me fighting with some sort of 'monster' or shooting someone from behind! So... maybe... I don't even want to think about it, but...! Was I the one... who shot you kids!?
Wha...!? What makes you think that!?
Salyu said... that I was a terrorist. That I was the one who shot you. But I tried not to think about it... because I'm supposed to be a rescue squad captain. After hearing everything Tachibana and Moribe said about me, I thought there was no way I could be a terrorist. But what about you, Yuuri...? You've been afraid of me ever since you first saw me, haven't you?
Ah, n-no...
Could it have been for the same reason...!? Because I'm not a rescue squad captain, but a terrorist!? Do you kids know who I really was before I lost my memory!? Please, tell me!

Even Natsuhiko could see just how thoroughly confused Watase was. Watase was probably scared to know the truth. And Natsuhiko was scared to tell it to him. However--

(We can't keep this up...! It doesn't look like we can keep deceiving him like this for much longer!)

Natsuhiko quietly asked a question.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Captain Kasasagi... do you want to regain your lost memories?

Both Watase and Yuuri's eyes widened at those words.

Hikorin!? What are you saying!?
I'm sorry, Yuuri. I know what I said earlier, but... now that he's noticed, we don't have much of a choice.
Wha... what are you two talking about? You don't have a choice in regards to what exactly--?
Don't worry about that now, Captain Kasasagi. Please answer me. Do you want to regain your memory?
...!
Once you do regain your memories, it may very well change who you are. The current 'Watase', the rescue squad captain who desperately struggled to save everyone's lives, could disappear. Once you learn the truth, your perception of the world could change. Your relations with everyone around us could take an about face and make enemies out of everyone... And once you know the truth, there's no turning back. Do you still want to regain your memory?

Watase silently pondered the question for a moment--

...Yeah.

And answered with a grave voice.

...I can't stand being in the dark any longer. I can't stand considering the possibility that I could be a bad guy... when I don't even know what it is I've done.

Natsuhiko understood Watase's bitter sentiment.

(... That's right. I thought you'd say something like that. You want proof that your will to save everyone, even at the cost of your own life, is genuine, don't you...?)

And with that consideration, Natsuhiko finally made up his mind.

...If that's the case, Captain Kasasagi, then allow me to tell you the truth. I've been lying to you all this time.
...!
Your suspicions were correct. The auditory hallucination you've been hearing was indeed my telepathy. {--Yes, just like this.}
Wha...!?

Watase's face froze instantly. Natsuhiko continued as Watase stared at him in total shock.

...Furthermore, I've been using empathy to listen to your mental voice all this time as well. I've also been sharing your senses. Everything you've seen, I've seen as well. But BC abilities don't stop there. ...I can manipulate memories. Your memories disappeared because of me.

Natsuhiko's words quietly echoed in the still shelter.