Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Reverie: 06/01/2014, 11:31

Visions like that of a dream long forgotten appeared to him. Those were Watase's memories-- the ones Natsuhiko had sealed away to protect Mashiro. Natsuhiko looked at the oldest memory Watase had that was relevant to this incident.

(Is this... from when Watase was back in high school...?)

Just like when he'd checked Yuuri's memories, he knew that for a fact without anyone telling him.

That day, Watase had been quietly reading a book in his room as he listened to classical music. And along with that sense of nostalgia-- He heard ''her'' cheery voice play back in his ears.

♪ BGM: Family and Friends

Watase's calm, relaxing time was completely annihilated by that voice.

(Oh great, her again...?)

''Wataru''.

Oh come on Wataru, I don't think the whole neighborhood quite heard that one. Something up?
Look outside! Isn't the weather just wonderful!?
Huh... wait, that's it?
Quit burying your head in those textbooks and come outside and play with me!
No. Playing outside just 'cause the weather's nice is something kids do.
Aw, don't be a spoilsport. You're gonna grow mold if you stay cooped up in this room forever.

Wataru forcefully pried Watase away from his desk.

H-hey...
C'mon, let's get a move on. We're gonna go to the city, so hurry up and get your things!
...Okay, fine. Just give me a sec.

Watase tried resisting her for a short while, but he soon caved in. He knew better by now than to go against Wataru whenever she wanted to do something.

Watase and Wataru walked side by side in that weather.

Mmm, it really is such a nice day, huh? Feels like the whole world's shining~
I guess.

Watase replied to Wataru's overjoyed voice with an apathetic mutter.

Watase was an indoors person who liked spending his days off reading books. Hence why the only reason he was out of the house right now was because Wataru had taken him out around town.

So why'd you want to go to the city? Need to do something here?
Nah, just figured I'd go look and see if there was anything I could get for you. Just got my latest paycheck from my part time job, so it's on me.
Oh, then maybe some paperbacks from the bookstore would be nice...
No and no. That'd kill the whole purpose of me treating you. We need something that we'll actually have fun buying... I know! How about your big sis picks out some clothes for you!?
Huh, no, you don't need to.
Why not? You've actually got some nice looks to start out with, so you can't let it go to waste by being plain all the time.
Is that your subtle way of complimenting yourself?
Ehe hee hee, I guess you could look at it that way too.

Wataru walked with a clear destination in mind as they had that talk. She took Watase to a ''cheap trendy clothes'' shop and bought him all sorts of clothes. They left the store with Watase covered in his new apparel, and with Wataru looking at him approvingly.

...Yeah, it's perfect! You're looking pretty sharp there, if I do say so myself.
Think so?

Watase had never been particularly mindful of what he wore. He just didn't think it was all that important.

Whatever. Anyway, I'm starving. Let's get a bite to eat.
Okay then, but it's on you this time, you hear?
Mmph... oh fine, I guess I can do that.
Yay! Then let's go to the usual pasta joint.

Cheering happily and with a skip in her step, Wataru walked off. Watase followed behind her languidly.

...But are you sure you want to be spending your Sunday hanging out with your brother?
Why not? It's a really beautiful day and it's the weekend.
You don't have a boyfriend or anything?
Oh, I don't need someone like that. Not when I've got my cute little brother!
Ugh.
Hey, what's with that reaction! That ain't cute at all!

Watase let out a wry laugh at Wataru's melodramatic voice. The twins then finished eating--

Yeah. We left without telling Mom and Dad a thing, after all.

The twins decided to walk home to save money on bus fare.

Wataru suddenly shouted as they passed the fire department.

Ah! Watase, look! Look at that!
Hmm?

Watase looked into the station to see men wearing orange uniforms coming out.

Who're they? Look a bit too snazzy to be firefighters.
They're a rescue squad.
A rescue squad? Our city has one of those?
Nope. They were probably just sent in from Tokyo or somewhere to give our firefighters some disaster prevention training.
Huh. So what's the big deal about them?
Whaddya mean, 'what's the big deal'? They're so cool!
Huh...? Oh, so you're into macho men like that?
No, not that! I'm strictly talking about their job, not their appeal as men. They go through hell and high water all to save lives! I really look up to people like that.
Really?
But there's no female rescue workers out there now, huh? If possible, I'd like to be one.
What? That's news to me. You want a crappy job like that?
Hey, don't call it a crappy job! It's a wonderful line of work!
Sorry, tongue slipped. But a rescue worker, huh...

Watase carefully looked Wataru over. She certainly had the attitude, but she wasn't all that good at sports.

...I think it'll be tough for you.
Won't know until I actually make it to that point. I'll think about that stuff after I become one.
I'm worried about -if- you can become one.
Hey! It's in really bad taste to stomp on people's dreams. Don't you have a dream?
Not really.
Huuh? Man, you're a real lonely boy, you know that?
Can't blame me on that one. The world's in recession and Japan's hitting a dead end. Future's not looking all that bright.
You're overthinking things, Watase. Do that and you'll just wuss out to the point where you won't be able to make sense of anything anymore.

Remember this?

You really think so? Personally, I think it'd be better for you to think a bit before you act.

He'd rather not be thinking along the same lines as her. But Wataru paid no heed to Watase's disapproval as she lifted her hand in the air.

Okay, I've made up my mind! Running training starts tomorrow!
Hmm, sure, sounds nice. Try to stick with this one longer than three days.
Why're you talking like you're not a part of this? You're gonna train with me.
H-HUUUUH!? Why me?
'Cause it'll last longer with two people, right? Besides, it's the perfect way to get your scrawny body into shape, right?
S-sounds like a total pain in the rear end...

But as usual, Wataru wouldn't change her mind no matter what he said. And she was right that Watase was out of shape.

...Okay, fine, I'll train with you. But only for a little while.
Yay! See, this is what brothers are for.

Wataru let out a smile filled with happiness from the bottom of her heart.

But it was a fact that she was looking forward to her own future. Her innocent and pure hopes for her future... Having nothing like that at all, Watase couldn't help but be a little jealous of his sister.