Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Partner: 09/16/2030, 16:10

----
--

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

--Natsuhiko returned to reality once more. What he first saw was Watase. He had collapsed onto the floor face-down.

C... Captain Kasasagi!?

Watase seemed to have fainted after Natsuhiko had erased his memory. When Natsuhiko tried to shake him awake--

...Guh... ugh...!

Watase got up with a groan. And then he glared at Natsuhiko.

(The malice didn't disappear!?)

Natsuhiko quickly covered Yuuri. But-- Watase muttered in confusion.

Wha... what happened...?
'What happened'--?
I hated your guts just a second ago... but that hatred suddenly disappeared?

At those words, Natsuhiko and Yuuri looked at each other.

We did it... It worked!

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

H-hey! What do you mean, 'free from the malice'? Explain what's going on!
Well, actually--

Natsuhiko explained the circumstances to the dumbfounded Watase. What they had learned from his memories. What had happened inside his brain. How Subject N had manipulated his memories and infected him with malice... After Watase had heard it all, he took a deep breath and spoke.

...So that's what happened, huh.
So... how are you feeling, Captain Kasasagi?
...Like I just woke up from along nightmare. But in any case, my memory's mostly returned to normal and the hatred ruling my mind's gone too.

Watase's tone of voice was calm and composed. The madness had faded from his eyes.

Thank goodness...!

Yuuri sighed in relief and Natsuhiko felt a weight off his shoulders as well. Everything seemed to be good, considering Watase had returned to his original self brimming with a sense of justice.

Then... can I ask for your cooperation?
My cooperation?
I want your cooperation to protect Yuuri and aid in her escape. I want to set Yuuri free.

A suspenseful silence spread through the shelter once more. Finally, Watase made up his mind and spoke up.

...I'm sorry, Natsuhiko. I can't do that.
Huh!?
Captain Kasasagi, why...?

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Even if my malice has disappeared, now that I have my memories back... I'm still part of 'Q'.

Natsuhiko twitched at those words. Now that he thought about it, Watase's goal wasn't just to rescue the test subjects. His end goal was strictly to use the test subjects as living witnesses against LABO's crimes against humanity. But if that were the case, then that meant that even if Yuuri escaped, it didn't necessarily mean she was free, naturally. It was most likely that Q would take custody of her and have her cooperate with their activities. As Natsuhiko realized that possibility, Watase continued.

I have a mission. A mission I must carry out no matter what.
Kidnapping Yuuri?
Yeah.
No, you can't mean that...! You're really a gentle person on the inside, so why must you persist in such a thing?
Exactly! I don't care how you sugarcoat it by calling it a mission. That doesn't change how it's terrorism!
I understand that.
No, you don't understand at all. While your memories were gone, you desperately tried to save everyone, didn't you? That was who you are by nature. I'm sure that was the true you. The one who succeeded Wataru's dying wish to become a rescue worker!
Don't say that name like you knew her. You think you understand me?
Of course I do. Our minds were once one, after all!

Watase's eyes widened at those words.

You wanted to save lives, didn't you? That desire was always on your mind ever since Wataru's death.
...Yeah.
So please, just forget about your terrorist mission or whatever. You can still start over again, can't--

Watase interrupted Natsuhiko with a depressed murmur.

Maybe if my comrades hadn't died.
...!

'Friends' doesn't even begin to describe them. We were kindred souls. Partners. Family--...

Watase's sad words left Natsuhiko speechless. But even so, he squeezed out an earnest reply.

You're... wrong.

Then you should be able to understand why I'm resorting to all this. Conventional methods won't change a goddamn thing.

Watase was right. Natsuhiko understood Watase's feelings. Whether he wanted to or not. However--

(But still... he really has changed...)

Regardless of whether or not he was affected by the malice contagion, once Watase had regained his memory, the ''amnesiac Watase'' had disappeared. But at that moment, Yuuri spoke up.

I understand your point...

Natsuhiko looked at Yuuri in shock as she made a brooding face.

Let's make a deal, Captain Kasasagi.
A deal?
Yes. Once this incident is over-- I'll entrust myself to your care.
What!?
Hand me over to Q or whatever you please. But in return, cooperate to make sure everyone escapes.
Wh... what are you saying, Yuuri!?

Natsuhiko tried to stop her, but Yuuri wouldn't pull back.

It's okay, Hikorin. If I endure this, then nobody else has to get hurt...

Yuuri spoke with a smile.

(No... there's no way I can approve of this deal!)

But Natsuhiko could think of no other way to earn Watase's cooperation. Natsuhiko fell silent as Watase spoke up in a low voice.

Yuuri, I accept your deal. I promise to get everyone out of here alive.
Please do, Captain Kasasagi.

The deal was made without Natsuhiko having a say in any of it.

(D-dammit... What do I do...!?)

Even if the two of them had consented to the deal, there was no way he could just sit back and watch as Watase took Yuuri away. By no means could Natsuhiko turn a blind eye.

(I-I guess I've got no choice... If Watase insists on prioritizing that mission of his, then...!)

--Then there was a way to put a stop to him. Indeed. There was something Natsuhiko could do.

VOTING

So, now we've restored Watase's memory, for better or for worse. He's now no longer interested in murdering the poo poo out of Communicators, but alas, he's still very fixated on his mission of getting Yuuri to Q to completely destroy LABO, which is very much at odds with Natsuhiko's plan of getting Yuuri the freedom she hasn't had in ages, especially given that they're both probably going to kick the bucket after about seven to ten years or so. Natsuhiko thinks he's found a solution to the problem, but what do you think of his solution?

Our choice here is either to favor Watase, or to favor Natsuhiko. You can probably imagine what the two options will do in this case. Now, choose wisely.