Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Garbage Collection: 07/07/2029, 23:18

The two of them worked on the plan together. What they most hated were ''Rokumei City'' and ''LABO''. So they planned to deal a fatal blow to them by saving the test subjects. It was an extremely dangerous plan, but with Watase's help, it looked like it might just work.

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Tips posted:

TIP: Garbage collection
Category: Includes fiction

A computer memory management function. Clears memory space occupied by objects no longer used by the program to allow the program to operate in a more agreeable fashion.

The garbage refers to the unused memory space.

A garbage collector is also someone who takes away trash from residences and businesses. A dirty job, but someone has to do it. When Ukita decided to join Q and launch a terrorist attack on LABO, perhaps he saw himself as a garbage collector, clearing LABO of its filth so that it may operate in a more agreeable fashion.

Ukita decided he'd use an ''ultrasonic wave detonator'' to detonate the bombs while watching the explosions from the monitors in the surveillance room. Furthermore, the PA wasn't limited to facility-wide broadcasts, but could also selectively choose which areas to broadcast to. If he used that feature to his advantage, then it was in theory possible to make the bombs go off only in places without people. Ultrasonic waves could not be heard by the human ear, so he didn't have to worry about someone realizing what was going on. He also prepared various kinds of sound data to cause the detonations-- for both timed and instant explosions. By loading the data into his PDA, Ukita could detonate the bombs in the facility whenever he wanted... --The plan then proceeded smoothly-- Then one day, a year later...

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Mmmph, checkmate, huh... Looks like losing that piece at the start really did cost me the game.
Security Guard: Hahahah, up for another round?
No, I may have a crappy job, but I need to get back to it now or I'll be in trouble. We'll have to save that rematch for next time.
Security Guard: Then I'd really appreciate it if you could bring some of that coffee next time you drop by. Me and the rest of the boys here think it tastes great.
I'm glad to hear that. Guess that's the one good thing you can say about me, huh?

These games and conversations were also a part of his plan. Ukita then left the surveillance room--

--and happened to come across Dr. Tenkawa.

Mr. Ukita? What are you doing in a place like this?
D-Dr. Tenkawa...!

Ukita felt surprised, but he managed to compose himself and replied with a normal look on his face.

Oh, just loafing around with this security guard I know. I have a lot more time to kill these days, you see.
...I see.
Though that said, I've wasted a bit too much time. I'd better be getting back to work. If you'll excuse me.

Ukita then quickly tried to leave. However--

Wait, Mr. Ukita.
Huh?
...I received an inquiry from Security Sector 6 yesterday. They wanted to know why I had you taken off the team.

Security Sector 6-- he wasn't familiar with that name, but it was most likely a division of Rokumei City's security department.

...So what did you tell them?
Nothing. Just that I took you off the team because you didn't have the aptitude or the ability for it, that's all.
(Huh...? What's that mean? Why did the professor lie for me? Impossible... could it be that deep down, she has her misgivings about the current state of LABO?)

Ukita rose one more question to Dr. Tenkawa in order to confirm that.

...Then could you perhaps answer the question that you left unanswered that day? What do you plan on doing if Natsuhiko's powers manifest?

Dr. Tenkawa grew quiet much like she had that one day-- and then she spoke up in a faint voice.

...I'll incarcerate him.
Wha...!? How can you call yourself his mother after saying that!?

Dr. Tenkawa glared at Ukita when she heard that question and raised her voice.

How can I call myself his mother...!? You don't even begin to understand!
!
I love my son. There's nothing else in the world I treasure more than him. But Rokumei City, LABO, and my research are all required for him to keep on living a peaceful life. That's why I'm...!

The professor bit her lip resentfully when she said that, almost as if she were trying to convince herself it were true.

(Could they be using Natsuhiko... as a sort of hostage against her?)

If that were true, then Ukita's plan would most likely end up saving Dr. Tenkawa as well. No-- that's what Ukita hoped for.

...I apologize for asking you such a bizarre question again. I know it's late for me to be saying this, but I am grateful for you covering for me. Our ways of thinking may differ, but you really are an amazing person...
...Mr. Ukita.
You know, Dr. Tenkawa, if it were ever possible... I wish that we could work together once again.

With those words, Ukita left. He could tell Dr. Tenkawa was still looking at him, but he ignored her.

(... If possible, huh. But... in the end, it's just a dream that will never come true.)

Ukita had learned the truth about LABO.

(I've gone too far to turn back now, Professor...)

--But an unexpected change happened on his way home that day.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

(Have those cars... been tailing me the whole time...?)

They kept on sticking to his tail even after he'd slowed down.

(Could they be from that Security Sector 6 thing the professor spoke of?)

Ukita's phone suddenly rang at that thought.

!!

Ukita felt his heart leap out of his chest at the abrupt sound of a ringtone. He frantically shifted his car into ADS mode and picked up his PDA.

Hello?

The voice that came out of the other line was the man from Q's.

Sonezaki: ...It seems that you're being watched.
H... how did you know that!?
Sonezaki: We have collaborators even inside the security department. They could more or less tell from the way that those guys are acting. Anyway, your car could have bugs in it, so choose your responses carefully. Try to make it sound like you're having a normal conversation.
A-all right...!
Sonezaki: I'll make this very quick. It is very bad that they have you under surveillance, considering you're the core of the plan. But it seems the boys at the security department are still having trouble deciding which end of the gray zone you're on. So we'd like you to be a 'victim' of our terrorism in order to throw their eyes off of you.
Huh?
Sonezaki: We will commence diversionary tactics in various places all over Rokumei City starting tomorrow to improve the plan's chances for success. By getting you caught up in one of them, we can trick those people into thinking you're just a virtuous citizen. There will be some danger involved, but do you understand?
That's... understood. Well, I'll manage somehow.

It didn't change the fact that he was in a dangerous situation either way.

Sonezaki: Then I'll send the details to your PDA. There's a chance there are bugs and surveillance cameras in your home as well, so check it outside.

The man hung up with those words. Ukita checked the rear-view mirror to find his pursuers apparently still on his trail.

(For this hardship to show up now of all times...!)

Ukita gripped the handle tightly and glared into the rear-view mirror. --A few days later-- The plan to pass off Ukita as a ''victim'' was put into action. His car had its ADS and brakes sabotaged, and was crashed on purpose. Ukita had figured that his problems with the people watching him would be solved when it was passed off as an act by Q, but--

He hadn't expected in the slightest that he'd get stuck in the car with its whole frame bent out of shape. To make matters worse, that wasn't all--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Shivers ran up Ukita's spine when he caught a whiff of an unpleasant odor coming from outside.

(This smell is-- g-gasoline!? O-oh no!)

If he burned to death in what was supposed to have been a diversionary tactic, it would be one of the most ridiculous screw-ups in history. But his body was so hurt that he couldn't even twitch the way he wanted. There was no escape.

(This isn't good! If I don't get out of here, then I'll die for real--!)

--At that moment...

!?

The voice that echoed in his brain was familiar to him.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

But Ukita was at a loss for words when he learned that Natsuhiko was the one responsible for that telepathy.

Listen closely, you two. This is important. Strange things might start happening around you from now on. Hopefully I'm just being a little paranoid... no, I probably am.

That was both a warning for Natsuhiko and an admonition for himself. If his plan failed, then not only would LABO and Rokumei City's wrongdoings remain in the darkness, but Natsuhiko would also likely be incarcerated.

(I must do whatever it takes to make the plan succeed!)

Ukita swore that.

Thanks to that, all surveillance on Ukita had finally dropped. However...

(Is this all really necessary for the success of the plan...!?)

Though he was conflicted, he knew the die had already been cast. --Then on September 15, one day before the plan was to be carried out-- An unexpected accident occurred. Natsuhiko and his friends had predicted Q's terrorist plot!

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Ukita shuddered when he heard Natsuhiko say that.

(I never expected some of the people I'm trying to help would pose an obstacle to the plan...!)

Ukita hid how shaken up he felt as he promised Natsuhiko and his friends that he'd ensure LABO's security was beefed up, then left for the time being.

Ukita called Watase on his PDA as he drove his car.

--Hello.
Captain Kasasagi? Sorry, but there's an emergency!

Ukita explained the Circumstances to Watase who then replied in a hard voice.

--Silence them, huh?
Not like we've got a choice...
You're telling us... to kill children?
Don't go that far. Just threaten them and tie them up. ...Captain Kasasagi, please. I don't like the idea of this any better than you do... but it's for those kids' good too.

Ukita then hung up.

It didn't take long for his PDA to ring.

We took care of them.
You didn't harm them, did you?
Relax. We did exactly as you said. I don't want to hurt kids either, you know.
I see...

It seemed Watase truly was a man he could place his trust in.

(On the other hand, Q's people are just... Is it just me, or was it like they were just looking for an excuse to blow up the PRC out of simple revenge? If they look at Communicators with hostility, then I must do whatever it takes to protect the test subjects...!)

It was with that thought that Ukita continued talking to Watase.

Say, Captain Kasasagi? I have a favor to ask you...
What's that?
Can you promise me again that you won't kill anyone no matter what happens?
Yeah, I swear I won't. My sister's life was stolen because of Rokumei City's twisted ambitions. So I'll never stoop to their level.
I see... thank you.

Ukita hung up, then stared at the gargantuan mammoth that was LABO. --D-day had finally come.