Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The Dark Side of the Moon: D: 09/16/2030, 11:31

They continued to search the facility for the survivors that were almost certainly there. But then, as if to crush those hopes--

♪ BGM: Abyss

It's too late... he's already... dead.
No... no...
Hiyama, not you too...!

...Dying in the line of duty is an unavoidable risk in this line of work.
But Tachibana...
Please don't say anything, Captain. We can save our grief for after we've rescued the survivors and gotten outside.

Kazami's noble words just served to pierce through Jun's heart.

You have to do the same, Moribe...
But... today was the first time... I've ever lost a coworker on the job...

And once again, back to everybody high.

I know. But you have to hold your head high. You discarded your womanhood when you joined Sirius. Remember that.
But... Sis...!

Jun said that in a frail voice like that of a normal girl.

(Why is everyone around me dying...!?)

Huh...? C-Captain, what're you doing!?
Don't worry about that. Just listen to me. I know it must be hard for you to have lost two squadmates. I don't even have memories, and it's hard on me too. I know you're scared. No matter what, you're still a girl.

The radiation levels throughout the whole facility were already past 3000 mSv.

In the first place, they didn't even have enough AD at the moment.

(Everyone here could die...! I'm gonna be broken down to my genes too... all battered and dead in this dark basement!)

Just as Jun thought that--

Tachibana, Moribe... can I have a minute?

Watase suddenly spoke up.

Huh?
We're changing leaders. I'll lead the group from this point onwards.
C-Captain...?
I'll be the leader for now until you've both calmed down. Let me shoulder all the weight you've been carrying so far.
Didn't you hear me? Then let me make it an order-- as Sirius' captain. As of this point onwards, Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana and Ensign Jun Moribe will hereby defer to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command!

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

!!

Jun and Kazami's bodies shook at those words. It was like Watase was back to being the man he was before he lost his memories.

Now let me hear you say it!

Jun and Kazami instinctively clicked their heels and replied in response to that command.

Sir! Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana deferring to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command, sir!
E-Ensign Jun Moribe deferring to Captain's command, sir!
Good!

Watase gave a broad grin, then continued.

...And there you have it. Well, that was mainly for formality's sake-- I'm still counting on you both to basically keep things running the way they've been so far.
Y-yes... please.
Good. Then now that we've finally got our hands on a Level 6 card, let's use it to press onwards. ...Hiyama left that card for us. We can't let it go to waste.

''Hiyama left that card for us''-- those words reignited Jun's spirit. She managed to recover just as she was about to fall off the brink of despair.

You're right... we can't keep staying down in the dumps forever. The fires are out and we've got a card, so now we can now go all the way to Area 6. We have nothing to fear!
Yeah, that's the spirit!

Watase grinned and patted Jun on the shoulder. She could feel the strength and warmth of his hand though that gesture.

(That's right... we're still alive. Which means we've gotta do everything in our power... to survive!)

Jun looked at Hiyama's body. His legs had been broken, he'd caught on fire, and he most likely had spent his last moments in utter despair, but despite all that, he'd still tried to survive. He would never come back. But he had left their group the key they needed to keep moving forward. In that key lay what was most certainly the will of someone who had lived to their fullest. Those who had been entrusted with that will would accept it and carry it with them for the rest of their lives. Much like how it was Nagisa's existence that had brought Kazami and Jun to where they were now.

(Thanks, Captain. And thank you too, Hiyama... I'm still alive, and will do everything I can to survive until the bitter end.)

Thus-- she would use her life to accomplish what had to be done: Saving human lives.

(That's right... that's the whole reason I came here, after all.)

Jun clenched her hands into tight fists when she thought that.